The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alkire Ten String Steel Guitar
Roger Rajotte

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 10:26 am    

Alkire ten string steel guitar. Era is mid 1940’s to mid 1950’s with serial # X62289. Built by Epiphone which was later purchased by its rival Gibson in 1957 according to the history I found.
Eddie Alkire came up with a unique ten string tuning which paved the way into the “Alkire E-Harp” branding. History describes that Alkire involved Rickenbacher in the late 30’s with a “one off” pre-production ten string steel which never got into full production possibly due to WW-2.
Epiphone started manufacturing ten string steels for Alkire in the late 1940’s. Other manufactures under a variety of names like Valco, National, Gibson, Supro and Oahu were also involved in producing the E-Harp brand.

This Epiphone version is in average to good playing condition and refitted with newer “tuner buttons” on original Kluson tuners otherwise I believe everything else is original. Install a new set of ten strings in C6th or E9th.
The original case has taken a beating however still provides adequate protection for this steel and and storage for the telescopic legs @ 70 years young. The players wrist rest was a novel innovation back then. This steel plays well and sounds great and provides a nice lightweight package minus
pedals and leavers for practice.
Send me your regular email if interested for pictures as I have a terrible time loading files thru the SGF. Asking $795.00 plus $65.00 shipping in the lower 48 states including Hawaii.
Any forum member would like add or correct any info is appreciated.

David Renson

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 2:31 pm    

The serial number posted, x62289 is a Valco serial number from 1956, not an Epiphone. The Epiphone Eharps had a 3 digit serial number ranging for 101 to 371, the last being made in 1950. Valco made many instruments and amps for National, Supro, Oahu, Sears Silvertone and others. I have an Epi Eharp #330 and 3 different Valco Eharps. They are ALL good instruments.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 4:50 pm    

Well, I bought one of those Alkire 10 Strings steel Guitar! And I sold it, here yrs ago. I'm sorry I sold it. Because I like it, a lot.

Oh Well...I have Jesus; and that's all that Matters; at age 92 old! Amen.

C.