The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons P/P with an Unusual Fretboard.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 4:23 pm    

Hello.

I recently looked at an Emmons Push-Pull S12 that's for sale, and the fretboard has some interesting features. It's a metal fretboard with Gloss/Semi-Gloss black paint just as you'd expect. However, it's affixed with screws instead of the typical adhesive. There are two small Phillips-Head screws at the bottom (changer end) corners, and it would appear that there are tiny, countersunk Allen-Head screws in the center of each Atom fret position marker, with the screw holes in the center where you'd expect the color-matching center dot of the atom. I can't figure out if this is some sort of replacement fretboard or an odd-ball original. The fretboard has quite a bit of paint wear, and the screw heads have surface rust on them, suggesting that the fretboard is approximately the same age as the guitar.

For reference, the guitar is rosewood with a wood neck, and it was made in 1975. If anyone could help me identify this fretboard I'd be much obliged to you. I tried to post a picture, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Last edited by Daniel Flanigan on 12 May 2024 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 6:12 pm    

I can't imagine the Emmons factory doing that, as there'd be a lot of extra time involved. I suspect someone made a fretboard, or had one made, and used screws to mount it so it might be more easily removed. I do know that the fretboards had a tendency to come loose sometimes if the guitar sat in the sun on a warm day, so maybe that's why the owner did it?

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 9:45 pm    

That makes sense, it does look like someone drilled and screwed down the original factory fretboard. Thanks, Donny. Quite the help, as always.