The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HSGA article Ernest Tavares Story
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 5:50 am    

I have been doing a lot of web research on steel guitar origins and development since I started to play about 2 years or so ago. There are so many amazing stories related to the instrument, but for me none so fascinating as the Tavares brothers. It seems there is a growing interest in them and their immense contributions to the development of American music, steel guitar, and through Freddie, the creation of iconic instruments at Fender. These contributions, for the most part have gone unrecognized, which is sad. I have posted some things before, but any time I find something new I like to share it. Partially I do this as a reference for myself to go back and find. These articles give some very specific information about the pedal steel Ernest built and the tuning he developed. This tuning is really fascinating and it is really sort of a universal tuning. This tuning was limited by the crude technology, but listening to the few recordings there are, it seems amazingly versatile. I am currently experimenting with my own version of it. In light of the fact that the guitar was fairly recently rediscovered, I am waiting for more information and hopefully the guitar can be made to work again by somebody. I am also curious about the other guitars mentioned in the article owned by Freddie, and Vince Akina. Are they out there somewhere??

https://hsga.org/wp-content/uploads/94-Spring%202009.pdf
https://hsga.org/wp-content/uploads/95-Summer%202009.pdf

I wasn't sure where to post this, pedal steel may be more appropriate