The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  the brassy bay
Sherwood Everhart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 11:14 am    

This song doesn't sound half bad with headphones. If I rotate the headphones, it sounds a lot different too, which worries me that my hearing may be starting to fade in my right ear. Anybody else experience this issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQW_LEUjY1A

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 5:20 am    

What do you mean by "rotate the headphones"?

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 5:27 am    

I enjoyed that, nice groove. Thanks for sharing! I had the same thing happen yesterday with my headphones, and I switched them and realized the L side is going out. I have an ear that gets blocked every couple of years and they have to earigate. I am always amazed at how good I can hear afterward!

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 12:02 pm    

That is a really nice little tune! Is that C6th?

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but if I put the headphones on backwards then it does sound very different.

I actually knew a girl in Korea who volunteered as a translator at a hospital to help foreign students...
She told me it was surprisingly common for a foreign student to come who are experiencing a small life crisis because they are badly losing their hearing in one ear.

She told me it's the same story every time, but she is legally and contractually disallowed from commenting on medical stuff with the people shes helping so she can't tell them in advance:
Everytime, it was just people who had a huge accumulation of earwax, and she would have to sit there and watch as the doctor extracted huge nuggets of earwax Confused

Sherwood Everhart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 3:25 pm    

Brad, I just mean when you physically reverse the headphones on your head so that the left ear is listening to the right headphone speaker and the right ear is listening to the left headphone speaker. The reverse sounds different to me - not markedly so but substantially. I typically run the bass in center, and I pan anywhere from 10-20% left and right on the guitar and lap to achieve a modicum of separation, but when I reverse my headphones, the guitar and bass sound clearer. So, it's got to be my ears, I suppose.

Sherwood Everhart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 3:39 pm    

Thanks for listening, Tim. Now that I think about it, maybe I need to follow suit and head to the drug store for one of those irrigation kits we see advertised on TV all the time. At least that would be a good place to start.

Sherwood Everhart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 3:55 pm    

Joe, it's written in C6/A7, which is my hands-down favorite. The problem with earwax is this: If I got rid of it, I wouldn't have a legitimate excuse for all those flat notes anymore Smile

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 5:48 am    

Sherwood Everhart wrote:
The problem with earwax is this: If I got rid of it, I wouldn't have a legitimate excuse for all those flat notes anymore Smile
I just call those blue notes!