The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U12 copendant with 2 raise, 2 lower mechanism
Everett Gillespie

Vine Grove, KY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 12:30 pm    

I picked up an old rus-ler 12 about a year ago that was kind of a basket case. I've mostly figured out how to get everything working, but the problem I've run into is that every u12 copedant i can find have 3 raises on at least 3 strings. This changer only has 2 raise and 2 lower levers per string

The guitar came with some barrel adjusters which I assume can be used to allow multiple pedals to be connected to the same rod. Problem is I only have 4 of them so, realistically I can only have 2 strings with more than 2 raises. Finding extra of these barrel adjusters seems to be impossible.

Having said all that, can you guys recommend me copedant that would work for what I have.

I have 9 pedals, 2 left knee levers, 2 left vertical levers, and 2 right knee levers.

I have no idea how it was originally set up from the factory.

I'm almost at the point of just setting this up as basic e9, but I feel like I'd be missing out on the entire purpose of owning this

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 2:13 pm    

Interesting. Assuming you're aiming for E9/B6 universal, you could reduce the pulls on string 5 to only 2, just A and C pedal, by omitting pedal 7 that raises 5&6 a whole step. Instead, and arguably more efficient and useful anyway, set up a zero pedal to raise string 6 to A#. That way it combines with the A pedal to make the P7 raise of string 5&6. I have this on my E9/B6 tuning and it is great because it creates the P7 effect with pedal A, but also works on its own the same way that Pedal 4 would (C6, A-B or B6, G#-A#). You could also raise the lowest G# ( usually string 10 ) a whole step as well for a complete "P4' ( but on zero pedal ) because that string will probably only raise a half on the B pedal otherwise.

Another workaround for reducing pulls would be to omit pedal 6. Instead, lower string 8 E a whole step on a lever. This way you don't need a pull on string 4 of E flat back to E that would be on Pedal 6. It still works as pedal 6 would, and the lever approach would also replace the B-D string 9 pull, allowing you to have string 9 B - C on the boo wah / P8, and also keep the B-C# on pedal A.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 3:36 pm    

Here is a method of adding an additional pull using a tandem block as invented by either Tom Bradshaw or my friend Fred Layman [RIP].

It takes an unused rod position in the changer and allows it to be used for an additional pull.

I don't know if anybody makes these now. Michael Yahl used to offer them but they don't show on his site now.

Yes, for Uni you need more than 2 positions in the changer for some changes.

I have owned a couple of older 2 lower Uni 14 Sierra Crown guitars where I utilized this method to gain additional changes...It's been a long time though and I don't rightly rememer all the details.

Everett Gillespie

Vine Grove, KY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 4:39 pm    

Jerry Overstreet, this is genius. I have the ability to make some aluminum blocks.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 5:17 pm    

Tom Bradshaw put a couple of those things on my MSA S-12. They worked great!

Thanks

Lee Rider

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 5:49 pm    

Hi Everett,

The part Jerry mentioned is good. However, I believe psgparts should have those barrel adjusters you are looking for.....

Just like you said, that way you can hook more than 1 pedal or lever to the same rod.

.....Pat.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 9:23 pm    

You only need two triple raise: on string 5 (B to C# X3) and on string 9 (B to C, B to C#, B to D).
I went a different route by threading two rods on each end on my MSA. I tune my A pedal by reaching under the guitar near the endplate. Two ShoBud barrel tuners should do it also.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 10:16 am    

Good luck Everett. I didn't notice before, but I see you are in Vine Grove. Don't know how long you've been involved with music, but I have several good friends and acquaintances in your area and around Hardin County.

One of the designers of those blocks was Fred Layman of Lexington Ky. Fred was a professor of higher learning, a steel guitar builder, tinkerer, one of the founders of the Central Kentucky Steel Guitar Club and the host of steel guitar shows in Lexington and the Nicholasville area for many years even after he moved to Sevierville Tn. He passed on a few years ago. Apologies if this is all old news to you.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 4:00 pm    

Quote:
You only need two triple raise: on string 5 (B to C# X3) and on string 9 (B to C, B to C#, B to D).

Those are the two pulls I was addressing Dennis. Sounds like the mechanical solution being discussed will enable both of those though at any rate.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 7:28 pm    

This old MSA manual features a two raise/lower. U12 copedent on page 20…

https://www.steelguitar.com/manuals/MSA_OwnersManual.pdf

Everett Gillespie

Vine Grove, KY
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 7:09 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Good luck Everett. I didn't notice before, but I see you are in Vine Grove. Don't know how long you've been involved with music, but I have several good friends and acquaintances in your area and around Hardin County.

One of the designers of those blocks was Fred Layman of Lexington Ky. Fred was a professor of higher learning, a steel guitar builder, tinkerer, one of the founders of the Central Kentucky Steel Guitar Club and the host of steel guitar shows in Lexington and the Nicholasville area for many years even after he moved to Sevierville Tn. He passed on a few years ago. Apologies if this is all old news to you.

I've been playing music for close to 30 years (guitar and mandolin), but new to pedal steel. I was gifted this about a year ago. I've been in Hardin county most of my life, but don't know any other steel players around here.

Pretty much all information on this instrument and the people are new to me, so thanks for all the info