The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Tear-Down and Clean-Up
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 2:59 am    

I'm planning to tear down my 1997 Carter D-10 for scheduled 60k mile maintenance and cleaning. I acquired it three years ago, but I am quite sure it had been in the case for the preceding ten years. It plays and sounds perfectly fine; I just need a project. Translation/Confession: it's the end of the semester and I have a s#!t-ton of grading I don't want to do. Having a summer project to contemplate is purely an avoidance technique. I yam what I yam.

I was contemplating what to do with the cross-shafts, most of which have some pitting. I am guessing that won't polish out without a buffing wheel or some such machinery I don't have (and don't want). A Forum search pulled up this thread by Dan Robinson from four years ago. A couple of questions for Dan (or anyone else who has experience with this).
    1) Did you use the California polish on all the parts? I'm especially impressed with those knee-levers. Mine are similarly without the factory polish, and I'd like to get them looking that good.

2) Did you remove the cross-shafts or just clean the surfaces you could get do? (Probably what I will do since removing them is an ordeal as far as I understand.)

3) Dan removed the changer fingers by forcing the axle out with a dowel. I've done that on some steels, but I seem to recall that on a Carter D-10 I had briefly a few years back, you can't do that and have to remove the four screws on the underside of the steel to get the changer out. Does that sound right to those who have removed it on a Carter D-10?