The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changer Movement
Ron Wendler

Southern Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 2:44 pm    

I'm building a pedal steel and wondering how much movement there is to a changer when the pedal is pushed? When the pedal is released, and the changer comes back to home position, is the rod from the pedal mechanism loose and releases pressure on the changer ? I'm trying to understand what goes on in the function of the working. I have neve looked at a pedal steel in person.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 9:32 pm    

Pushing a pedal There may be 1/2" to 3/4" movement at the pedal. At the changer you have to watch close to see movement, The string only moves maybe .015 thousands of an inch.
When the pedal is released. You want the pull rod loose and no pressure on the changer finger, In the open note.

There are 2 common changers used in todays guitars.
In entry grade guitars many are Pull and Release Changers. Just a simple 1 piece changer finger. That has the pull rods attached at the bottom of the lever, To raise strings. To lower a string, Springs must be used to hold finger at open rest position.

Most pro level guitars have All Pull Changers and are much more complicated. Here is the parts, In an All Pull Changer out of a MSA 10 string changer. Removed for cleaning.

Then there is tuner head/tuners, Legs, End plates, Pedal Bar, Pedals, Cross Rods, Bell cranks, And the list goes on.

Its a big jump down the Rabbit Hole to build a steel guitar. The Pull release changer in picture was my jump in 1970.

Ron Wendler

Southern Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 9:03 am    

I'm a long ways into my build and have most of the parts made according to a plan I bought. I have also used the Hudson 6 string as a reference in laying it out. Mine is a 6 string. I'm doing it simple for right now. I didn't think the changes moved very much as I'm acquainted with a tremolo. Thank you for the information. I'll post pictures when I'm finished

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 12:59 pm    

I think the movement at the changer is more like a 1mm plus or minus. 1/25 inch. It does vary depending on the string and the copendent. .