The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early photos 1910s, 1920s
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 12:39 pm    

Seems like an interesting lot containing some great steel photos from the Hawaiian music craze era sold on ebay a few days ago, final bid was $60.

Item description from seller:
"This is an interesting archive of early music band from the radio era that appears to be playing Hawaiian music. The photos appear to date from the late 1910s through the 1920s based on annotated inscriptions on the back.

Highlights include a photo of a hula dancer with a man and a woman playing stringed instruments as well as a second hula dancer playing a stringed instrument. The archive seems to center around one band with a member who appears indigenous or possibly Asian. One of the photos is marked for Texas on the signature. Another photo features a duo with a member playing an old harp guitar.

One photo of the duo playing instruments is dated 1917 on the back.

There is a photo that appears to be a music concert for WWI soldiers stationed in a Pacific area, possibly Hawaii.

One photo is stamped on the back "Montgomery" and indicated that it was released for publication.

Another photo has pencil inscription for "Henulea? (indecipherable) with date 1926.

One photo is marked Manoney Dallas

Size of largest photo 7 3/4 x 9" approx

13 photos in all. Comes in a sturdy box for safe shipping. Weighs about 1 lb shipped.

Note: The photo of the duo with the harp guitar (dated 1917) has a separation R upper corner (see last photo) - I'm sorry. It happened when I was putting it in a mylar envelope."

Last edited by Joe A. Roberts on 5 Apr 2024 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 12:41 pm    

cont.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 1:47 pm    

Those pix are fantastic! Thanks (and a big alo-ha) for sharing.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:44 pm    

Does anyone happen to know what those skinny leis in photographs from this era are made of? Are they actually so dark, or are they just red?
And is there a name for that bullfighter looking sash that seemed to be all the rage? I assume they might be red too, are they Portuguese influenced?
I spent awhile trying to do some research and came up short Laughing

Here's Sol Hoopii and gang wearing the sashes and the skinny leis, almost look like a skinny velvet rope, I have never seen any modern leis like that.

A very different effect compared to real flowers Whoa! (Elvis)

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 3:17 pm    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
And is there a name for that bullfighter looking sash that seemed to be all the rage? I assume they might be red too, are they Portuguese influenced?

I'm pretty sure they were all Pirate cosplayers. ;oP

Not really. I never looked very closely and just thought those were proper cummerbunds. Now I want a sash!