The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time for time off.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:19 am    

A few weeks ago I left the band I was in to take a look at my situation. Over the last few years, I survived a few light cases of covid. I also had prostate cancer and some other restrictions on my ability to play steel. I'm going to take time to decide what's important and what's not, but I'll be lurking here and on factless book to see what's going on. We have some new family members that we haven't seen yet so we'll be traveling a little. Ya' gotta' do, what ya' gotta' do. See y'all around.

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:40 am    

Dont feel like the lone ranger- end of january i left a band i helped found back in 2019.
Left on good terms,just cant do 5 shows a month anymore.Playing some just for fun informal jams,enjoying life....

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 11:09 am    

Do what YOU have to do.
Because of COPD and heart problems, I stopped live sessions back in Sept. I miss them but am enjoying being with the family on the weekends. Still play the psg and other instruments in the front room.

Enjoy your retirement and time with family, there isn't anything like them.

Sam

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 1:34 pm    

Mike, I left on good terms too and told them to call me if they need a fill in. I hope they don't, at least for a while.
Sam, other than the cancer meds, I was doing okay, but I couldn't carry my equipment. My 92 lb wife helped as much as she could. I'm enjoying not having to be somewhere on the weekends. Now my strength is returning but I don't want to play.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 2:45 pm    

I too didn't look around after my last band closed up shop. Got one infrequently recurring country praise gig and for now that's enough.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 3:53 pm    

Good luck to you Ben, whether your time off is permanent or temporary ... You've played a long time and that will always be a part of you even if you're not playing.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:02 pm    

Thanks Dale. I learned years ago to never say never, but at almost 79, I need more family time. If God gives me another few more semi-healthy years I'll hop back in a time or two. Be well my friend.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:10 pm    

Best of luck to you Ben on your retirement, or not..
I just turned 75 this year and I'm semi anxious about playing my gigs for this year.
Darlene and I have both had our medical problems to reflect on and things aren't getting any easier with driving to and from, plus setting up and breaking down all the equipment. I mean, I still love playing, but, this just may be my last year after a long career.
Never the less, all the best to you and your family.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 4:41 pm    

Thank you John and Darlene, for being a part of this crazy ride we've been on. Like my friend, Steve Wariner said; we don't get paid for playing music, we get paid for riding in a big, silver, diesel powered, turd. I didn't do that much, but I enjoyed Norwalk, Saluda, St. Louis and all the steel shows.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 5:11 pm    

I wish you all the best Ben. You know what's best for you and how you feel about things. You're not alone in your thinking, that's for sure.

I haven't played a live gig in about four years. A special at church is about it these days. I keep my '69 Emmons set up in the music room and play it nearly everyday, but, live gigs no. I miss it greatly at times but, arthritis in my hips, knees and ankles along with driving home from gigs at night deter me from playing out. Like you said, doing things with family, church, my dog and bass-fishing take priority for me. And I know all too well about riding and driving the tour bus..!!

Your a good man Ben. My best wishes go out to you my friend.

God Bless You..!!

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 6:38 pm    

Thank you Chris. God does Bless me everyday.but our pastor is not a country music fan, so there isn't an opening for a steel guitar in the praise band. That's okay because I'm not a fan of 7-11 songs, if you know what I mean. I know about the physical limitations we seem to ignore until we can't. Carrying equipment isn't so easy anymore either. If you get to Florida or I get to the pretty part of New York, it would be great to see you again. Stay well my friend.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 5:21 am    

Thanks Ben. You're a dang good horse..!! It would be great to see you again. And yeah, I know exactly what you mean about those songs.

I forgot to mention, Tim Gillis, Bill Murphy, Fooch Fischetti and myself are getting together for a lunch on 4/17. A reunion for the mid 70s road band of sorts. We're meeting in Kingston, NY which is about the mid-point from Gillis to the south and me to the northwest. About a two hour drive for me. Should be fun..!! I'll tell him you said hello if you like.

Stay well brother.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 6:02 am    

I wish I could be there. Tell 'da boyz' hello for me. After living in Florida for about six years, I remembered why I left N.J. We went to N. Carolina in February and I can't take temps below 65° anymore.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 8:11 am    

Good luck and good health to you Ben. Sorry we never got a chance to meet up while you were here in NJ.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 8:35 am    

Best of luck in dialing in what’s best for you. After a weekend of three gigs, the ride home early this morning has me thinking along those same lines. I’m not ready to get be it up completely, but I’m going to be more selective in the gigs I take.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 9:27 am    

Hi Ben, good luck with the choices you make, and I know exactly how you feel. I haven't played in over a year. Since covid hit in 2020, not as many places to play anymore.
The shows that are still going are too far for me to drive.
I went to Tulsa last year just as a spectator, and it was a six and half hour drive one way. I just can't do it anymore. still try to keep the Mullen warm in my music room.
best of luck Ben. from Missouri, Larry

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 10:55 am    

Mike, I think we did get to meet and talk a bit. It was at the P.S.G.A show. You were going to be playing in N.J. but I couldn't make it.

Roger it's always nice to get togther with you. In Florida the bands usually play 3 to 4 hours. At almost 79 the fourth set is extremely difficult.

Larry, it's been a long time since we were at Scotties. I always enjoyed joking around with you and Jean.
Thanks for the good wishes and may you both be healthy and wealthy. Oops, most folks don't get rich sitting at a 20 string cheese slicer. I guess we just have to do the best we can. God Bless my friends!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 11:18 am    

Good move, Ben! You've earned it!

I dreaded retiring but, in fact, it's a blessing. I can experiment to my heart's content, searching for better KL assignments and digging into some tricky music. There's nobody but me to judge the results, but... Smile

Chris! Please pass on my best wishes to Fooch when you get together; I wish I could join you, too.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 11:37 am    

Thank you Roger. I stopped playing a month or so ago. I've since realized I like my new-found flexibility a lot. I don't even look at my steels now.
I haven't seen Fooch, Van or the band in a few years, I wish I could be there when they get together. Be well my friend, I guess we've both gone through some tough times, but we're still here!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 1:48 pm    

Ben, I hope you still have at least one of your hot rods to mess with, I know how much you enjoyed them. You're not missing anything up here except earthquakes and rain, maybe a new song tittle.

Enjoy your time off, well deserved!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 3:04 pm    

Ben -

Life has a way of influencing our priorities..........it's all about what is currently most important in our lives.

I'm sure you're making the best decision to reflect your current priorities.

And go visit those folks - there's nothing better for the soul....both theirs and yours.

Best to you -
Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 5:39 am    

Ben, we all know our own bodies and limits. I’ve thought about stopping many times just because I hated my playing.

I quit for about 15 years and then came back. Missed it much, including the musician fellowship. But after 15 years, nobody in Nashville remembered me and it was like starting all over.

A 15 year period in Nashville removes some players, while new ones come in. It’s the natural direction in this town. Most players will be gone and go on to something else. Vicious cycle here in Nashville.

Ted Russell

The west coast of New Jersey.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2024 8:02 am    

Well deserved Ben! Good on you. There is nothing better than having the freedom of one's own time. Wishing you and Sandy all the best!

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2024 8:15 am    

Thank you all for the responces. I have my S10 P/P set up at home, but I can't bring myself to sit and play it. A few guys were interested in it but I'll seĺĺ it some time down the road. My apologies for not being as active in selling it but I'm busy with personal and family stuff. To the guys who are in my situation I wish the best of luck. You'll know what to do and when.