The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players who gave up "armpit" guitar for the steel?
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 5:40 am    

Vulgarity.... Not that there's anything wrong with it, but in this context, a little goes a long way, sometimes a longer way than intended. Pros don't go around dissing other pros.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 5:41 am    

I was curious how people use this term, so I tried to search "armpit guitar" with the search function for this site. I cannot get results for any search using this function. We are getting away from the purpose of this thread, but this definitely deserves its own.
I don't believe people generally use this term with intentional malice. However, I think there may be an underlying Freudian type malice that has to do with steel players in general having a bit of secret hatred for guitar players because they get all the attention. Or I could be wrong Smile .

Armpit guitar sounds very ignorant, and some of the stereotypes associated with steel guitar and country music reinforce ignorance. I agree with trying to push away from this. It is a gross term, but it gives me more of a chuckle than anything. I completely understand peoples concern with language and I appreciate this conversation very much.
Toe Cheese guitar! I love it!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 6:04 am    

I may be wrong but I think one of the pet peeves of steel players is having a guitarist in a group who is emulating steel guitar licks with a steel player on the bandstand—I have heard that. In that case it might be okay to call it “armpit steel”. Laughing

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 6:29 am    

I'll concede that, Mike!

Very Happy

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 7:18 am    

If you look back, you will see plenty of hostility, aimed at guitar players, exhibited by steel players here. There are even entire threads dedicated to complaining about guitar players - too loud, musically ignorant, out of tune, play over everything, distorted sound - every sterotype you can think of.

And, of course, there are some guitar players out there who fit these stereotypes. I have played with some, LOL. But I think it's a very exaggerated stereotype, and a lot of this wrath is unjustified.

I think some of this hostility feeds expressions like the one being discussed here. Yeah, I know it's a self-deprecating joke for some of us, who are guitar players themselves. And if it was just an occasional instance, that would be one thing. But when people start saying that this is, and should be, the default term for guitar, I have a problem.

Mike Neer wrote:
I may be wrong but I think one of the pet peeves of steel players is having a guitarist in a group who is emulating steel guitar licks with a steel player on the bandstand—I have heard that.

No, you're not wrong. I have felt that way myself occasionally, especially if done poorly. I sometimes do steel-inspired licks on a Telecaster, with or without a bender. But if I ever got to play with other steel players (rarely happens), I would generally defer that to them. But on a Telecaster especially, bending strings is part of the thing - pretty tough to chicken pick and not bend strings in a way reminiscent of steel somewhat.

I'll also say that plenty of chicken pickin' licks on pedal steel come from emulating a Telecaster. With guys like Ralph Mooney, sometimes I find it hard to distinguish where the chicken pickin' guitar leaves off and the chicken pickin' steel comes in. When it's someone like James Burton yankin' the strings, I can't imagine anybody complaining.

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 5:25 pm    

Well, I have gradually made the transition and no longer identify as a regular guitar player.