The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players who gave up "armpit" guitar for the steel?
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 9:42 am    

I recently read that Herb Remington started out on guitar, but then went to pedal steel. It didn't say if he continued to play "regular" guitar or not, but since he's known as a pedal steel player I'm guessing he didn't.

Got me to wondering how many steel players gave up "regular" guitar for the pedal steel.

Have any of you done so?

I used to think I'd slink into a major depression if for some reason I couldn't play guitar any more. Since getting into lap steel, though, I think I'd be fine just playing steel.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 10:01 am    

Not me. And it's "Spanish guitar", or simply "guitar". Only people I've heard say armpit guitar are steel guitar players.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 11:17 am    

Didn't give it up but it sure has reduced the calluses on my fingers.

Sam

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 11:52 am    

I started playing guitar back in the early ‘60s, playing Duane Eddy, Ventures, and all the other instrumental chart music that was popular back then. In the mid 60’s, I got my first pedal steel, and by the end of that decade, I completely left guitar behind. There were just too many great guitar guitar players in my neck of the woods, but only a few steelers. It turned out to be the right decision because as a steel player, I had my pick of the bands to be in, and was never out of work.

I had another good friend in Baltimore who was one of the best and most commercial guitar players I’ve ever worked with. His name was Bobby Sparks, and he, too, gave up guitar to play pedal steel (telling me he had been inspired by what I was doing on pedal steel). Sadly, he passed away about 15 years ago. He played steel long enough to become proficient on the instrument, but I’ll always remember him for his guitar playing.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 2:08 pm    

I don't know if this could be armpit guitar, but I strummed a guitar early in my life, but stopped because I couldn't fret the strings with my left hand due to cerebral palsy. I remember one armpit guitar story was, when I was a kid, probably seven, eight, nine, or ten, my grandparents gave me an acoustic guitar for Christmas-it wasn't a major brand, but it had the sound hole in the middle and it had six steel strings, but I had to put the guitar down to find other instruments to try, so in my teenage years, I played keyboards with one hand for five years before deciding to move from keyboards to pedal steel.

Last edited by Brett Day on 5 Apr 2024 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 2:18 pm    

Didn't exactly give it up, but found I was doing more steel and less guitar in bands as time went by. Pretty much retired now, and my one recurring gig is steel-only. Got a few nice six-strings around and I still plunk on'em some so they don't get lonesome.
Winking

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 5:35 pm    

Just for the record, I really dislike the term "armpit guitar."

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 7:21 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Not me. And it's "Spanish guitar", or simply "guitar". Only people I've heard say armpit guitar are steel guitar players.

Not for long. I'm training my young guitar students to use that term.....because they find it so funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 8:57 pm    

Joseph Lazo wrote:
Just for the record, I really dislike the term "armpit guitar."

Well, it IS rather derogatory so it's best used judiciously.

Although we can all think of occasions when it's right on point. Winking

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 9:16 pm    

I am from a family of Bluegrass/Square Dance music. No one played Bass. Dad taught me to play guitar, Only Rhythm, No hot lick flat top picking. And no one would teach me anything on Banjo, Fiddle or Mandolin. We need you for Rhythm.

When in US Army got into harmonica, When I returned in 1965 got a lap steel, Built a 10 string pedal steel, Got 3 pedals working about 1970, Now 2 MSA's 2 GFI's later. My flat top don't get played much anymore.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 4:26 am    

Never gave it up but I seldom play guitar compared to my steel. I still love the 6 string and have far too many to stop playing.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 4:45 am    

As a primarily armpit guitarist I think the term is hilarious and obviously meant in jest.

Spanish guitar? We might as well call it the United States, "Kalamazoo", or "Corona" guitar since Gibson and Fender basically put the electric guitar on the map and its construction and playing techniques have changed considerably from its gut sting Iberian ancestors.

Larry Dering wrote:
I still love the 6 string and have far too many to stop playing.

Considering I could afford electric guitars at a ratio of about 5:1 vs pedal steel my collection will too remain this way for the foreseeable future.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Gary Mahalak

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 4:50 am    

It's pretty common for steel players to kick off with regular guitar. I haven't made that leap personally, but finding fulfillment in lap steel sounds like a solid plan.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 5:36 am    

Guitar first for me: I got my first one October 2nd, 1957.

I made fast progress and took the plunge (going 'pro') two years later. Suddenly finding myself playing with much better musicians, I soon realized how little I knew; I had to 'grow up' quickly.

Pedal steel came on my horizon in about 1972/3; for many years, steel was a useful 'double' but, to this day, I'm a more accomplished guitarist. Steel, while I can hold my own, will always be my 'second instrument'. That sixteen-year head-start I had on guitar remains apparent to this day.

Strangely, though, and because of a general lack of dexterity and strength in my hands (I have essential tremors), the physicality of playing steel now requires less effort than six-string. Now I play, not for my living but for my own satisfaction; I spend hours in my music room but the ratio of time allocated to each is probably 90% in favour of my Emmons.

Those lovely Martins are too much hard work! Sad

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 6 Apr 2024 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 8:05 am    

In my youth, there were two types of guitars, the "Spanish" and the "Hawaiian".
The first one you held, the second one you laid on your lap and played with a bar.
Erv

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 10:32 am    

Me..
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Russ Swanson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 12:19 pm    

Each new instrument I’ve learned adds something to my skills on all.
1960s Fender S10 3x3
2019 Duesenberg

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 12:51 pm    

Russ Swanson wrote:
Each new instrument I’ve learned adds something to my skills on all.

VERY true. Palm blocking does some nice things on six-string. Winking

Jimmy Lewis

Harrisonburg, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 6:36 am    

Jerry Overstreet I'm glad you set the recordstraight that term is hideous and disgusting. It just goes to show what most not all but I say MOST of out society has degraded to. Not trying to start a war but just my opinion that we have good men fight and die for us to have.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 6:42 am    

I like that term, Lol. I play a lot of armpit guitar, when I'm not playing the sewing machine..

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 6:51 am    

That expression sets my teeth on edge. One can hardly say it's 'offensive', yet it irks me.

Inexplicably, another one that bothers me is the term 'steeler' in place of 'steel player'. It troubles me in the same way that (in the UK) some refer to television as 'the telly'.

Maybe it's because I like the language too much.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 7:21 am    

I apologize to Jimmie. I had decided to make some edits in my post just ahead of Jimmie's and managed to delete the whole thing. So I'll put it back up so as to keep continuity.

...and I'm totally in agreement with Jimmie's statement.

What I said was in a reply to the OP asking why he used the term if he found it unsavory.

I went on to say I think it's a disgusting term. What ever happened to class?

I'd never insult the legends of guitar by using such a deragatory term.

The term is guitar or spanish guitar. No other description needed except for different various subsets of the guitar. IMO.

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 9:34 am    

I think the great Marty Robbins used the term Arm pit guitar. I always thought it a strange term.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 4:33 am    

There are relatively few steel players with bands that I have seen that don't also have a six string guitar on stage. One time at a steel show Doug Jernigan was asked about playing some song and he said he couldn't play it on steel and didn't have a six string with him and he only knew the chord inversions for that song on six string, so he couldn't play it on steel.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 4:35 am    

There are relatively few steel players with bands that I have seen that don't also have a six string guitar on stage. One time at a steel show Doug Jernigan was asked about playing some song and he said he couldn't play it on steel and didn't have a six string and he only knew the chord inversions for that song on six string, so he couldn't play it on steel.

Last edited by Darrell Criswell on 8 Apr 2024 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total