The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Low G# to G change?
David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 10:56 am    

I was watching this clip on youtube from the early 60s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oZl3Mng8o

I don't know who the steel player is, but what's most interesting about his solo is that fact that he goes from a pedals-up position on the I chord DOWN to the IV chord without moving the bar, and plays very cool 7th chord licks. He then does similar 7th chord licks over the V chord, two frets up. It would seem that the most obvious way to get these sounds would be to lower the low G# string to G. I'm guessing that since this was an old Fender steel, he did it with a pedal to the left of his A pedal that's he's using in conjunction with the A pedal.

Is he, in fact lowering the G#? Does anyone know if this was a common change at that time, or know of anyone who had that change? Or, if I'm wrong about how he's doing it, how IS he doing it? Also, any info about the steel player would be interesting to hear as well.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 11:40 am    

from the comments: "the guy on the steel guitar - is Tom St. Denis"

The C note on fret 5 at 0:56, and the D note on fret 7 at 1:01 are probably played on his 5th string (F# string on this 8 string E9 tuning) raised a half step with a pedal.

David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 1:42 pm    

Thanks for the info! I thought of that too. Just curious though, why would you think it's the F# being raised as opposed to the G# being lowered? It seems like the double stop licks would be easier to play if the two strings were next to one another.