The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tricone squareneck bridge height question
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:46 pm    

I just received a unique 7-string tricone and my obsessive side found something to nitpick. The height of the strings at the nut is higher than the height at the bridge. I first noticed it when I was picking harmonics and my thumbpick was hitting the fretboard. This is probably not a big deal and it sounds amazing but I’d like some advice in case I can’t unsee it.

Measuring the distance from the string to the neck (not the wood fretboard) at the nut and at the bridge, there's a difference of about 3/16"

The neck is straight and there’s no dip in the body. I’m not sure if the bridge was pushed down or if it’s always been this way. I looked around inside (I didn’t remove the cover) and the cones don’t look damaged. It definitely is not short on resonance. Also, the bridge looks level from bass to treble.

It has a unique cone setup so it doesn’t have a typical t-bar. You can see it here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2086205&sid=b7f37cc5840bdbec8d075fea6bc78099

I thought I’d look into just getting a taller wood saddle insert if the knowledge of this issue keeps bothering me. However, it looks like it might already be an inch tall, which I see is taller than any tricone blank I see online (3/4”). I also read that raising the height too much could increase downwards pressure and damage the cones.

Thoughts?