The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1980's Zum - bell-cranks?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 9:57 am    

Bruce has told me that he no longer has parts from this era.

I haven't got the guitar here yet, but I wondered if anybody happened to know about these cross-shafts and if there's something available today that would serve the purpose.

Are cross-shafts fairly standard? I suppose not, but it's possible that something could be made to work.

How does one move these center-pull bell-cranks? How is the rod attached? Zumbody?

This guitar looks original; anything that I was tempted to add must be removable so as to restore the steel. I'd really like one more KL.... Smile

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 10:51 am    

The cross-shafts on my Zums are 3/8" wide

Most other makes I have worked on, Fessy, Desert Rose, ShoBud, etc. were all 5/16"

I was unable to find parts to add to my 8+5 so bought another.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 11:48 am    

Same mechanics as the underside of my S12extE9. A total breeze to modify/change or move things around. The pullrod itself has a pin which make the end that attach to the bellcrank look like a T. Gently push on the nylon tuner and the rod will slip out and you can move it up/down the bellcrank. Super easy to get pulls syncronized. The bellcrank itself is just pushed directly onto the cross-shaft and there is a screw(unbraco) that runs under the cross-shaft keeping the bell-crank in place. Loosen the screw a little and the bell crank can be moved sideways to align pullrods for a straight pull. There might be a collar on one or more pull rod to prevent em from slipping out of the bell-crank or those collars may be found near the changer end to prevent rod moving too far out at the changer end. I think those collars are more found on rods connected to a knee lever than the pedals. Maybe because knee.levers dont have a natural reverse stop. Havent been under my guitar in ages as it stays in tune and need no maintenance underneath. This guitar is really easy to work with. Re rodding everything to some completly different setup wouldnt be a problem at all.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 12:32 pm    

Williams, Carter and MCI are guitars that use 3/8 square cross shafts. Possibly some eras of Fessenden and probably other makes.

You may be able to adjust them for a Zum Knee Lever space but the pedal shafts/hooks will be different for sure.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 1:01 pm    

Thanks, Bengt - that's very helpful (and good news! Smile )

Jerry:
Appreciate the reply. Who knows? I may not need any more pulls, depending upon which way I go (Uni/Ext E9/D13th).

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 1:55 pm    

FWIW, I have some 3/8 in. aluminum mill stock on hand. I could possibly hand craft a KL cross shaft or 2 with the proper dimensions, bearing size etc.

Edited to add: Concerning your U-12 arrangment, I think coming from a 10 string single or double to a Universal 12 string probably is not going to be a huge hurdle for you with your experience.

However, going to Uni and Emmons set up at the same time could be challenging.

As someone mentioned earlier, I used the Sierra Uni setup on my 12s and 14s with the E's on the left leg same as my D10s, but with a Day setup, E lower left might be an issue.

I also tried the RKR and RKL positions at one time, but I found it uncomfortable and tedious using the volume pedal.

I decided on the Sierra setup with E's on the left leg and a LOK on E lowers. That way I was able to lock in the B6 change for some things or release it for others.

Good luck with the guitar. I'm thinking you will like it.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 19 Mar 2024 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 2:06 pm    

That's an exciting prospect!!

I expect the Zum on Thursday. I also just ordered one of Ross Shafer's steel-workbenches. When b0b first announced these years ago, I wouldn't have entertained tweaking a pedal steel. Now? I tweak more than I play. Smile

No quick decisions. I'll try the Uni; if I like it, I'll switch it to 'Day' and that'll be that. If, however, I love the guitar but not the tuning, I'll be thinking again.

Thanks, Jerry.
(PS: I recall now that Dave Grafe sold his Zum for the very reason that he couldn't source parts to add to its 8+5. I hope I don't find myself in the same boat. Sad )

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:36 am    

Hey Rodger The steel cranks Bruce used on the 1980"s guitars are not avalable unless you can find used ones. I make an aluminum replacement that is a direct fit on the 3/8" squair shaft if you need some let me know.

Barry