The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U12: IS there a standard?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 1:04 pm    

If I stay with Uni, I will switch ABC for CBA (my preference); thanks, Bobby.

I can't wait to try this guitar 'out of the box' and see the logic of Uni for myself. I can deal with 'ABC' for a week or so. Smile

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:02 am    

I like lowering the E on RKL. Smile
[/img]

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:08 am    

Universal B6th side at first for me seemed thin sounding but after awhile it came together and sounds good now.
Very happy with my move.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:06 am    

Maybe I should just switch the pedals (from ABC to CBA) in order to give the tuning a fair shot.

Right now, the Es raise on LKL; that will need to go to LKR.

The big 'IF": if I were to switch the E lower to LKL (where I'm used to having it), could I still reach all seven pedals? That'll depend on how far to the left the KLs are affixed - I can't judge that until it gets here tomorrow.

My main concern regarding the lack of a D string is fear of cabinet-drop affecting tuning when I 'create' the D note with RKL; that's a long way up, and I depend upon that as a root note a lot.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 9:18 am    

I can reach them with no problem, however I'm 6'2" and long legs! Here is a diagram JD Sauser made for my guitar that explains the positioning of the pedals and KL's. I think www.Outwestcountry.ca has rods and pedals if you need them.

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 4:21 pm    

Roger, did you get the U-12? Tell us what you think and have done to it!

John

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 3:08 am    

John

Full disclosure:

Yes, I got the Zum and found it a real gem. However, and this was my second foray into 12-string territory, a day later and when I was at my weakest (Smile ), someone asked me for first refusal should I sell it. As he's a U12 player already, I found myself parting with the Zum before I had even switched a pedal!!

I hereby state publicly that I shall remain a D10 player for the rest of my days. Should I ever even mention 'that nice 12 string on the Forum', I hope everyone will rap me on the knuckles and remind me of my words. Smile

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 3:53 am    

I know how you feel Roger! Happy Easter!

John

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 3:55 am    

You mean I missed out on this guitar TWICE? lol. I'm just the opposite Roger. I find myself falling in love with the Bb6 uni tuning more every day.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 4:55 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
John

Full disclosure:

Yes, I got the Zum and found it a real gem. However, and this was my second foray into 12-string territory, a day later and when I was at my weakest (Smile ), someone asked me for first refusal should I sell it. As he's a U12 player already, I found myself parting with the Zum before I had even switched a pedal!!

I hereby state publicly that I shall remain a D10 player for the rest of my days. Should I ever even mention 'that nice 12 string on the Forum', I hope everyone will rap me on the knuckles and remind me of my words. Smile

Roger!!! I hope you sold it locally!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:30 am    

Yes, Mike, and no reflection should be inferred regarding the guitar or our dealings!

It was a series of impulses (to which I'm prone) and I regret nothing. I am keeping the photos - it's so good looking!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 10:42 am    

I guess it is time to start looking at the parts I sent you. And getting that pull on your D10 set up to last.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 11:43 am    

It sure is, Bobby - and I just received my work-bench from Ross Schafer. It's perfect.

I also have one pull to add to LKL2; it's lowering 6 and 9 on the top neck now - I want to add the 3rd string lower. I have the right rod!

Randy Beavers gave his reasons for not lowering both G#s, but it's hampering me on occasion. Another year or so and I might wise-up and see he was right. Smile