The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More C6th ??
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 10:04 am    

Dale Watson called it the "two weeks notice neck." I have noticed more C6th with the high profile road bands lately. Nathan Fleming with Charley Crockett gets in his licks. Jesse Personeni with The Malpass Brothers plays quite bit of it on their shows. And Boo Miller with Gene Watson, who was just inducted into the HOF is a proficient C6th player. On Facebook videos, more people are putting up good videos on that neck.
Are we seeing a trend? I hope so. Whaddiya think?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 11:13 am     Re: More C6th ??

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Dale Watson called it the "two weeks notice neck." I have noticed more C6th with the high profile road bands lately. Nathan Fleming with Charley Crockett gets in his licks. Jesse Personeni with The Malpass Brothers plays quite bit of it on their shows. And Boo Miller with Gene Watson, who was just inducted into the HOF is a proficient C6th player. On Facebook videos, more people are putting up good videos on that neck.
Are we seeing a trend? I hope so. Whaddiya think?

I'm reminded of a discussion I had with Leon McAuliffe back in 1975, when AATW and Alvin Crow and other western bands were coming on strong in TX, and the Playboys were reforming to do gigs. I told Leon "isn't it great that Western Swing is coming back in popularity."

Leon replied "yeah... too bad I'm too old to enjoy it."

Leon was 61 years old at that time!

That's kinda like the way I'm feeling nowadays, at age 76. Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 11:20 am    

last time I saw Todd Day Wait he had Nikolai Shveitser absolutely killing on C6 for the majority of his sets. not sure if Nik is still with him

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 12:02 pm    

Herb, I hope you are feeling better and have had a full recovery.

The nice thing about being an amateur is that getting jobs and making living in the music is a non-issue. I can play the music I want, the neck I want, the tuning I want. I can record music and put it up on youtube. And I don't have haul anything. I don't have to play music I don't like, I don't have to play the same music every night. I don't have to deal with drunks, club owners, or bandmates. Music is my avocation, not my vocation.

I remember having a discussion with Mike Auldridge at the Dallas show one year and discussing his love of playing jazz and we were discussing Reece's 12 string C6th tuning. He said, he would love to be able to play that stuff, but his audience wouldn't stand for it. I realized that while I would never have Mike's talent, in many ways I had more freedom of expression. Mike was able to get his 8 string swing album out, but he couldn't play it in concert.

And while musicians can certainly play any music they want at home, in my experience professional musicians rarely play home just for fun. My late sister in law was the first chair, second violin section of the Metropolitan opera. Other than practicing, I never once heard her play music for the fun of it. In fact, I never once heard her get out her violin and play anything when she wasn't at the Met playing Wagner.

There may not be a lot of money playing C6, but there is certainly a lot of joy playing C6. And with all the digital and social media outlets, there are more than enough venues to share your music and find an audience and with the ability to monetize youtube videos, to make some actual green as well. I would say that a vast majority of the steel playing I listen to on Youtube is C6 playing.

And at 70, I feel like I'm just getting started and every day I learn something new. May it always be such until I do the shuffle off this mortal coil tango.