The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Pedals / Knee Levers
Robert Underkoffler

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:43 am    

Hey y'all. So I was tuning my MSA the other day and while tuning it the plastic bit fell off and now it seemingly wont fit onto the screw because the screw is too far inward to get it on again if that makes any sense, other than that everything else is in-tune and working great. I couldn't find documentation on this issue.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:52 am    

If you flip the guitar over and loosen the screw holding that pull rod, you can push the rod out and probably turn the nut back out far enough to put the nylon back on. Then you will need to reset that change on that pull. You can take a magic marker before you pull the rod and mark it where it goes in the puller. That will give you a ball park of where it goes back. It just looks like you over tuned that change.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 4:06 pm    

I'd call that"under-tuning". Looks like the rod next to it is ready to pop off too. Smile

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:47 pm    

While you are under the guitar, I suggest you lengthen some of the other pull rods too. So the pull rod is even with the outside end of the tuning nut, Those short MSA tuning nuts needs the support of the whole rod in the tuning nut, So they will not strip, And give you some adjustment without popping off.

Good luck on getting the MSA back in proper adjustment, Happy Steelin.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 1:53 am    

It would be excellent if you could show some photos of the underside.

The fix could be as simple as unlocking the rods in the bellcrank and sliding them a bit more toward the end.
But that doesn't answer the question of why this happened.

It could be a couple of other things that could/should be addressed such as bellcranks slipping on the cross shafts or lever stops or starts that have moved.

On other words, you could be looking at a symptom of something larger.
Not at all scary. But important.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 4:33 pm    

Some pictures of the underneath of the guitar would help as Mr. Light suggested.

Since the problem pull rod/tuning nut is String 4 Lower, E to D# on a knee lever.

Remember, When lowering a string on an all pull steel guitar, (Tuning nut in bottom row of your guitars changer.) You turn the tuning nut clockwise to lower the string, Not Counter clock wise like you do when you are lowering a raise string, (In the top 2 rows of the changer.)

Good Luck in your journey with steel guitar, Happy Steelin.

Robert Underkoffler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 8:55 pm    

Thank you everyone for the replies. It was undertuning after all. I completely forgot about the bottom row being opposite. I got it figured out now and can extend the pull rod. Would I ideally have to mark where the pull rod was before extending it out of the changer so there’s less slippage on the plastic nut, or could I just keep it extended further without adjusting it back to its original position, what would that affect?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 9:19 pm    

As long as the rods do not stick out past the End Plate would not hurt.
Caution, If the rods stick out past the end plate, When placing the guitar in its case. The rods can be bent and cause problems, Long rods can also tear the lining in the case.
Happy Steelin.

Robert Underkoffler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 9:22 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
As long as the rods do not stick out past the End Plate would not hurt.
Caution, If the rods stick out past the end plate, When placing the guitar in its case. The rods can be bent and cause problems, Long rods can also tear the lining in the case.
Happy Steelin.

Good to know. Thanks a ton!