The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Twin Reverb Double Duty Speakers
TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:15 pm    

What are you guys using for double duty speakers in your Twins?

I'm looking for some new 12" speakers for my '68 Twin I'll be using for guitar and steel. I was looking at the 50 watt Jupiter Ceramic 12LC but I'm worried they may be under powered and break at higher volumes.
I like more of the classic JBL tone. Some of the newer steel guitar neo speakers I have tried seem a little lifeless. I have read some mixed reviews about the Weber California's and the Neo Mags. I'd love to have JBL's or Altec's but they appear to be either be out of my price range or in questionable condition having been reconed or possibly needing to be.

I would love some opinions or advice anyone has.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:33 pm    

I put an Eminence pro 12a in my 74 Twin to accompany the EV that was still good. The weight of this UL Twin 85 watt amp is now too heavy. I love the tone but recommend a lighter speaker set.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:47 pm    

Iā€™m a die hard vintage JBL fan and have a room full of them. But I was quite pleased with adding the Jupiter speakers in my twin and no issue handling the power split between two 8 ohm speakers. Like all new speakers they need some break in time but they sounded great brand new and the light weight is a plus.

Tim Marcus recommended these as a twin replacement speaker and used them in some of his own amps for a reason. Great tone!
Dave šŸ™‚

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 2:14 pm    

if weight is a concern, i'd recommend the neo jensens that come with the tonemaster twin. after a decent break in period they are surprisingly good sounding.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 2:23 pm    

My Twin Reverb Custom 15 sounded great with that Eminence JBL clone the factory used, but was just too *#@& heavy to take anywhere, so I mounted the chassis in an aftermarket Showman cab (the reverb tank fits, although it's tight) and hooked it up to a D120F-loaded '64 Bassman cab. Sounds even better than the clone Bassman cab with Celestions in the pic. It's just easier to move two medium-weight pieces than one big one

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 12:34 am    

For me it was always the Gold Label Fender Eminence, 50 watt rated. I use these speakers in every amp and cabinet that I own. They lean bright with good low end with a very mild midrange.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 7:51 am    

I tried the Weber Neomag 15 in my Twin Reverb. I was very impressed with the tone. I thought it was warmer and less shrill than a JBLD130, but at 75 watts it would crap out when things got loud. Eventually I went with an Altec 418b which was spectacular. I think two (75 watt) Neomag 12s would be a great way to get JBL/Altec tone in a Twin, and it would lessen the weight. I'm having a tweed Tremolux clone custom built with 6L6s and chose the Neomag 12 for the speaker, with the same goal in mind.

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 5:54 pm    

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 8:51 pm    

Trap,
Check out Beyma Liberty 8's. They are just about perfect at getting the JBL sound. Plus they don't blow out. They are heavy and the magnet is huge. I'm swapping my neo's out. So far I am VERY happy with them. I have a few cabs with old JBL's in them that I'm using for recording and quieter gigs. But for my battle condition work set up I'm going with the Beyma's.

BTW: I think I sold you a bolt on years ago that I still dream about. That guitar was a beast !

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:31 am    

Forum member Jeffrey Maxwell does superb reconing of JBL speakers for a reasonable price. He has done several for me and all are excellent.

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 1:00 pm    

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've decided to try the Jupiter 12LC's. I've listened to a lot of demos and they seem to be in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Bob, I've still got that one.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 8:46 am    

U S SPEAKER