The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons S10 Serial 1597s
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 9:49 am    

Hi all!
A friend of mine let me know that she needs to sell her 97 year old mom's Emmons S10. She had to go to an assisted living facility. Her mom played it for many years, but I don't know how to decipher the serial number to get the year built. I'd also like to figure out what it's worth. She is trying to liquidate the estate. Do I need to contact Emmons to get that or is there a key to the serial number?
Thanks all!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 10:13 am    

1597 S would be late '70s, probably '78 or '79-ish, cut back with narrow cast pedals. It's worthwhile giving Emmons Co. a call to see if they have the original records, but for '70s guitars the exact year won't have much impact on its value. That's more a product of its overall condition and how well it's been cared for over the years. Some pics would help with that, but assuming it's in good shape, complete with a good case they've been listed here on the forum in recent times in the $2600-$3000 range. You can find some of those for sale ads for reference with a quick forum search.

Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 2:14 pm    

Roger,
PM sent. thanks

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 2:34 pm    

I sent a P.M. as well Roger

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 2:56 pm    

I agree with Ian. I think it's either a 1978 or a '79. The exact year has no effect on the value. I would just list it as a 1978.

Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 2:58 pm     Emmons S10 Serial 1597S

Thank you all for the feedback. I haven't even listed it yet and already have inquiries! My friend told me that the guitar was previously owned by a "professional musician", but didn't recall who. Maybe the folks at EMMONS can tell us.

The gal selling it needs to get some things arranged before putting it out there, but I suspect it will be pretty soon. Again, thank you all for your help and support.