The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ...per Ted Smith's inquiry re: BL705, 605
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:24 pm    

Ted posted the question below in a for sale ad that was closed, so I thought we could open a discussion about that, maybe shed some light on it for Ted.

Quote:
what are they worth? or a L605?

Ted, the pickup that was discussed in the ad was most likely a reissue BL705 from a completely different pickup builder.
These generally run $100 or less on the used market.

The chrome BL705 models like your family used on some of your guitars back in the 80s are scarce as hen's teeth, a completely different beast and are valued much higher.

I've seen asking prices anywhere from $250 to $300.
The chrome L605 from the original builder in the same era do command a more modest price, but still more worth than the reissue Lawrence 05s.

You can poke around the forum with a search to see some discussions on both.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 6:48 pm    

Thank you Jerry, that was exactly what I was trying to find out, I have a few of them and am trying to decide what I should use them on. Bill told me years ago he couldn't get the magnets or the wire anymore that made the early 705.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 6:51 pm    

This is the original Wanted to Buy thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?p=3196749

It was closed because the author said he found one and asked for it to be closed.

Yup, the reissue Bill Lawrence 705 pickups (not built by Bill and Becky Lawrence) are on the order of $100, plus or minus. The original Bill Lawrence produced pickups from the early 80s are definitely harder to find and I agree on that general assessment of around $200-300 each if you can find them.

Personally, I've used both versions and think they are both very good pickups. My Mullen G2 came with a reissue 705 and I can't imagine replacing it with anything else. I've also had original 705s in a few guitars, and they were great in those guitars. I haven't tried to dissect the differences - I just concluded that I've liked both in anything I tried them in.

I've seen 605s for significantly less than orignal 705s. I personally would like to try one. My sense is that they're even harder to find than original 705s, but with a lighter wind, I guess not as desirable to most players.

Ted - I think the Lindley V is a perfect candidate for an original 705. I'm pretty sure that's what was in David's.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 8:42 pm    

You're welcome Ted. Here is some further information on the original line. Perhaps this will be beneficial in deciding which to use where.

Quote:
....there are 3 different models of these chrome surround BLs and they have very different monetary volumes you should know if you would ever want to sell it.

The 705 being the most sought after and most valuable.

The info on these is in this forum entry: [The DC resistance or ohm value can be measured with any ordinary volt/ohm meter.]
John Fabian wrote:
The first number of the x05 series indicated different impedances and resistances running from lowest to the highest. lower numbers tend to be brighter while higher numbers tend to be mellower.

705 - approximately 18K-21K Ohms, 15H inductance
805 - approximately 26K Ohms, 21H inductance
605 - approximately 15K Ohms, 11H inductance
505 - approximately 12K Ohms, 7.5H inductance

This numbering system does not hold true for the modern Lawrence pickups (710, 716, 910, etc.) The first number indicates construction and the second two numbers indicate impedance in Henrys.