The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sciatica
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 2:38 pm    

I'm sure that I am not the only player that has this malady. Mine is left leg/foot which makes it tough to rock from pedal A to B (B to A not as bad). Doing physical therapy and what the doctors say to do. Wondering if anybody on the Forum has some advice. I also need to get something with a heel (I've always played in either socks or moccasins) because it is getting tougher to dorsiflex my left foot.

Thanks

Lee Rider

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 4:51 pm    

I suffered with horrible pain in my leg for months! Three different doctors that I went to said “it’s sciatica…we can give you shots in your back “!!! I’ve never been much on alternative medicine and such, but out of desperation and encouragement, I went to an acupuncturist. I told him I was skeptical at best, but I was also desperate. He looked me over and said “I don’t think it’s sciatica”. That made one of us.. he loaded me up with needles, and I went sound asleep. He came back, woke me up and did the same on my back. My friend that went with me said I looked like St. Andrew! When he woke me up again, I got off the table, and God is my witness, it has never hurt again!
You may have sciatica. I thought that’s what I had, but if you haven’t tried other therapies, I would encourage you to do so before getting shots in your spine..
just sayin’.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 7:58 pm    

I have neuropathy rather than sciatica - also in my left side - and pretty much have a baseline of not-ignorable pain every day of my life - so I feel ya. I have a lot of thoughts about this - but medical stuff aside, when it comes to making playing less painful, you’re on the right track about trying to limit dorsiflexion.

What I’ve found is you just have to try to have your pedals - levers - and body ergonomics (seating position etc) fine-tuned to limit as much tension in general on your muscles as possible. Some approaches I focus on:

- keeping the pedals low enough to where, when you’re not engaging them, you’re not having to hover your feet at too much of a vertical angle (that changes based on heel size of course)
- a cowboy boot heel definitely helps me - as it takes some of the up and down pivot pressure when engaging pedals off your natural heel/arch muscles
- lessen your pedal travel on whichever one is harder to rock onto - longer travel for B, for instance, means more foot angling/flexion which can be irritating
- lessen your knee lever travel - or adjust your lever angles inward (if you can) for those inherently more strenuous moves like LKR + A&B engaged (yea that makes ‘em stiffer, but again limits the muscle strain)
- try angling your whole left leg/foot more toward the key head - so like, plant that heel behind the C pedal, or even beyond it - makes engaging the B less of an inward-roll movement than if your foot’s coming at the pedals straight-on

It’s all trial and error though - pay attention to when you’re NOT feeling pain, or feeling much less - then hold onto all those mechanics/ergonomics for dear life! Take pictures of where your seat feels most comfy etc. Oh also try not sitting on your wallet if you carry it in your left pocket.

I could go on and on…hope something there helps and best of luck!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 9:26 pm    

I had hip, knee and back pain -my doc said that before trying cortisone shots or any more serious thing, I should just see a physical therapist, get a program, and build up my core, hip and leg support muscles. I'd not done strenuous stuff for a long while...and I guess my support structure was weak...
I'm now stronger than I've ever been, at age 75, and the pain is pretty much gone....took 3 days/week doing a round of the strength training machines at the gym...bumping up the weight every time...I now do fully three times the weight that I started with on each machine...

Lee Rider

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 8:55 am    

Thanks for all of the comments. I am real active, do PT, walk with poles, swim about 6 miles a week (which really helps) and working on my ergonomics. Acupuncture is next on my list. Epidural a couple of months ago did a little for a few weeks but back to where I was.

Best,

Lee Rider

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 4:16 pm     Sciatica

A few years ago I developed bad sciatica, mostly in my right leg. I did physical therapy for several months, as well as a regimen of stretches and other exercises. But nothing really helped. Meantime my wife had been seeing a chiropractor for a good while, and she suggested I see him. I had always been leery, but I agreed.

This chiropractor uses the activator method, as opposed to the manual manipulation techniques that most associate with conventional chiropractic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activator_technique

Long story short, I have been pain-free for going on two years. I still see him once every three weeks for "maintenance" adjustments. For me the results have been nothing short of miraculous.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Stephen Pride

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 12:20 pm    

I'm sorry to hear about all the suffering! Knock wood, I seem to finally be over a torturous 2-year battle with sciatica. It was caused by a herniated disk in the lumbar region which pinched the sciatic nerve and sent pain shooting all the way down my right leg. Sitting at the pedal steel aggravated the pain greatly. I'd quit playing entirely for months-long stretches, then try getting it out again, and it'd make the pain flare up. Really frustrating.

I sought help from a spine doctor. I did tons of PT, and got three epidural injections, about 5-6 months apart. The first two gave limited, temporary relief. The last one seems to have done the trick.

Great advice above to avoid sitting on your wallet. Another thing that seemed to help me was a healthy sleeping position. I mostly sleep on my side, and getting used to putting a pillow between my knees might have helped me as much as any single other thing.

Best of luck, I hope everyone who's in pain will find some relief.

Lee Rider

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:31 pm    

Thanks Stephen: Been doing all of that, had my first epidural in December with limited results. I know these things take a while. Haven't had my wallet in my back pocket for about 30 years now....

Best,

Lee Rider

Lee Rider

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:32 pm     Re: Sciatica

Tommy Detamore wrote:
A few years ago I developed bad sciatica, mostly in my right leg. I did physical therapy for several months, as well as a regimen of stretches and other exercises. But nothing really helped. Meantime my wife had been seeing a chiropractor for a good while, and she suggested I see him. I had always been leery, but I agreed.

This chiropractor uses the activator method, as opposed to the manual manipulation techniques that most associate with conventional chiropractic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activator_technique

Long story short, I have been pain-free for going on two years. I still see him once every three weeks for "maintenance" adjustments. For me the results have been nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks Tommy, I think that is my next move.

Best,

Lee Rider

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 4:11 pm    

Quote:
Thanks Tommy, I think that is my next move.

Best,

Lee Rider

Great Lee! Really hope it helps you as much as it did me! Please keep us posted!

All the best,

Tommy

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 6:00 am    

I wrecked my back from weight over the years plus a degenerative condition and diagnosis with everything that starts with an "S"....I see the pain clinic 3 or 4 times a year.

Just coming off a month long rough episode of pinched nerve and excruciating lower back pain. Usually get bi lateral branch blockers but this time an epidural.

Just wondering if anyone has tried an inversion table?

Lee Rider

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 7:38 am    

I had an inversion table for a while, did not do much for me except give me a headache. Thinking of putting floats under my arms and a weight belt around the waist and head to the pool....Aquatic Traction...has a nice ring to it.

Had an epidural in December, helped a bit for a couple of weeks and my fingers sure worked good during that time due to the steroids...

Lee Rider

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 8:25 am    

I had a bout of sciatica a year ago that laid me low for a couple of months. At the onset I got in the hot tub. Big mistake!! For the first few days ice only. Ice was the only thing that made it possible for me to get off the couch. First thing in the morning, and several times during the day, 15 to 20 minutes with a bag of frozen cranberries, was good for enough relief to shower and go to the toilet. Ice and stretching seems to have done the trick for me. As soon as I could stand it I started lower back stretches. Still stretching, with no problems so far.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 4:43 am    

Lee, I used the inversion table with great results some years ago. I don't have the issues today but I still own the table just in case. I haven't been on it in years. At 75 I may be subject to the headaches. I hope I don't need it.

Lee Rider

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 9:02 am    

I had an inversion table for a while, just made me dizzy. Ice, PT and orneriness keep my at my steel.

thanks

Lee Rider