The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I Mentally ill part 2
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 2:21 pm    

Well,

I may have found it. The perfect tuning and steel guitar for me. As I mentioned in this thread https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=397522&highlight=

focusing on one thing can be a challenge.

I think i have finally found the solution. Just purchased a Sierra S-12 Sessions Universal, tuned to David Wright and Reeces's E9/B6 tuning (although David tunes his a half step lower).

Unlike other universal tunings, this is more C6 oriented, which turns out is perfect for me as someone who just wants to play Jazz standards. I love the steel itself, which seems to fit my body perfectly. I can wear shoes while playing which for me, was a challenge with my bad feet. Something about the pedal spacing makes it easier to play with shoes on, and less AB pedal rocking and the rocking I am able to do works with shoes while on my other steels it didn't.

I love the tuning, the steel, the feel. And I love the fact that most of both my C6 and E9th tutorials can be adjusted to work with this single tuning.

So, single neck, one neckt to learn, but both Pedal tunings combined into one on a steel that sounds great and is built like a tank.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 3:26 pm    

Ok Bill, now you must vow to not buy another steel anytime soon, and sell any other pedal steels you own other than this Sierra U12. Smile

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 3:33 pm    

I'm thinking just that. I'm actually down to only 3 pedal steels: the Williams D10, the Sierra and a beautiful Sho-bud 12 E9 extended. The sho-bud will probably go up for sale soon although let me know if you are interested Mike. The sho-bud is right up your alley

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 8:30 am    

Signs point to yes.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 8:31 am    

Very doubtful.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 1:31 pm    

I'd have to say 'Yes' to that, Bill.

It's a harmless pursuit, though, and I wish you luck. Smile

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 5:33 am    

Admitting that one has a problem is the first step toward healing.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 8:09 am    

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but the light bulb really has to want to change.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 9:26 am    

First World Problem if there ever was one!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 10:45 am    

"Steel Guitar Player", "Mentality Ill", and "Insanity" are all synonymous. 🤪

Jacob Yergert

Centennial, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 11:13 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

This is so true. Only a psycho looks at a pedal steel and says, "yeah, that looks like the instrument for me."

I should have been a piano player.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 1:23 pm    

Jacob Yergert wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

This is so true. Only a psycho looks at a pedal steel and says, "yeah, that looks like the instrument for me."

I should have been a piano player.

I thought the same thing, until I tried to haul a baby grand around.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:48 pm    

Quick update.

I tuned the B6 down to a Bb6, and man.... I am in heaven. And this Sierra Sessions 12 is magical. I feel completely satisfied for the first time since I started down this Pedal steel journey almost 2 years now.

One neck that does everything I want it to. And sounds amazing. And stays in tune with no cabinet drop. I know most of you have the jeff newman E9/B6 universal. But for me, the Bb6 tuning is simply incredible. I have had zero desire to play my D10 or S10 since I finally figured out how the keyless system works (which was initially a HUGE frustration).

There is a richness to the tone and a sustain that I have found on no other steel I've owned. How good is it? Each day, my desire for a new steel disappears. Every day I start playing in the morning until I'm ready for bed.

And while I'm not selling my other steels quite yet, I can see they will go up on reverb soon.

The search is finally over and my original goal to focus on one neck, one tuning has been achieved. And while I do contemplate getting a more modern steel with the same changes and tuning, I don't think I will. I can see the Sierra becoming The One. I feel sane for the first time since I unpacked my first Pedal Steel Guitar

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:11 pm    

Congratulations Bill. Maybe there is hope for the rest of us.
We'll see.
GAS Recovery Hotline # 1-800-ReS-ound ext.65

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 7:09 am    

It was the Jeff Newman U12 video that started me on my journey down the U-12 highway !….Everything just fell into place almost instantly….I could never wrap my head around a D-10 setup…..

Bill,
If you want to feel good about your musical instrument collection, come on over and see my arsenal ! …..I can’t laugh at those keyboard/piano comparisons because I’m a keyboard player by trade….I’ve at least downsized and sold my B3, but still have 2- Leslies ! (and I miss my B3 😱 ) I need serious intervention!…Jim