The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6th string detuning issue (PROBLEM SOLVED)
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 11:15 am    

PROBLEM SOLVED

Ok, guys, please don’t revoke my forum membership. There was, in fact, one screw loose: the one with the wing nut that clamps the pedal bar to the leg, near the pedals. And it’s not even the first time I’ve had trouble because of it. The screw loosen when I pack the guitar but when I put it back together, the screw stays unscrewed by a few turns and stick out no matter how hard I turn the wing nut. A screwdriver is needed to screw it back in place. I need the fix THAT. A few weeks, ago, it was loose enough that my guitar was walking all over the place whenever I was using the RKR lever!

I’m back to about 5.5 cents of deflection on the g# string.

Well, this is embarrassing! But thanks to everyone who came along for the ride!

P.s. any suggestions on that wing nut?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 12:37 pm    

Great news!

But I don't understand... how the pedal bar/leg attachment could affect all this. Do the pedals maybe move down a little when you jiggle the guitar (like when using the E-lower lever)?

Anybody have thoughts?

You can put a locking nut on the inside of the pedal bar to keep the screw in place. The other end of the pedal bar may have one so you can see what to buy if you don't have one lying around.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 1:31 pm    

Ditto ---- great news but I'm not tracking. It does not make physical sense to me that this would connect to the issue. But it does not matter whether I get it or not.

re: the rack screw -- the rack is threaded for the screw on Fessendens I've known. So simply backing out the screw 1/4" and applying loctite and screwing it in tight should keep that from walking out on you.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 1:50 pm    

None of it makes any sense to me either, but as you can already tell, I’m not the most mechanically astute member of this community. When Jerry was in Vermont, it was a short drive to bring him the guitar. The guy who takes care of my guitar had a surgery recently, but he should be ok now. He does the maintenance of everyone’s steel guitars in my area, but he’s pushing 80 and I’ll tell you what, when he goes, all of us who rely on him are in BIG trouble!

I sometimes feel embarrassed to even ask here on the Forum because after all this time spent playing the instrument, I really should have a better understanding of how it works. But it’s like the dentist, unless something hurts, it’ the last thing on my mind!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 8:24 am    

The body of a guitar flexing or moving affects the stability base of the instrument, and that can certainly be caused by looseness of the support structure (the legs, pedalboard, and endplates). If take your thumb and press down firmly on the center of the guitar while you have a tuner connected, you can see how any body flex can throw off your tuning.