The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel on Come Monday, Jimmy Buffett
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 10:24 pm    

I'm a big fan of Doyle Grisham's steel playing with everyone from Tompall Glaser to Randy Travis and especially Jimmy Buffett.

he played on Jimmy's first 4 major albums and ended up joining the Coral Reefer band for the last 20+ years of its existence.

there are some really great and vital steel parts on those first 4 records and I just assumed it was Doyle on everything, he's the only steel player listed... but I recently saw this interview with arranger Bergen White who seems quite sure it was Weldon Myrick on the song Come Monday, discussed at 38 mins here: https://watch.countrymusichalloffame.org/videos/bergen-white-nashville-cats-2013

anyone know anything? I'm not sure how to reach Doyle himself.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 10:28 am    

Not sure but that steel break on "He Went to Paris" is one of my favorites of all time. Lots of tasty playing on the Living and Dying in 3/4 Time album.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 10:51 am    

I received a message from Mr. Grisham confirming it was indeed him on Come Monday.

beautiful playing, thanks Doyle!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 11:10 am    

Never a Parrothead, but this song, along with others of this era, is one that got me thinking about trying to learn pedal steel.

Second verse, when the steel comes in, knocked me out back then.

Times of young love, heartbreak etc. Brings back a lot of memories when I hear it now.

Nice job by Doyle G.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 11:32 am    

yes Jerry, the steel is absolutely perfect on Come Monday, He Went to Paris, and so many others. Doyle is all over Jimmy's first 4 albums starting with 'A White Sport Coat' and adds so much to those records. it's disappointing to hear the steel drop off starting with Jimmy's breakthrough 'Changes in Latitudes' album in '77 but it does reappear on 'Somewhere Over China' in '82 and then Doyle was back in the band for good by the late 90s or early 00s

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 12:16 pm    

Yessir, I have "white sports coat" in regualr rotation. Always enjoy the steel on his records.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 3:35 pm     Buffet steeler

A lot if good steel over the years on Jimmy’s songs. I liked the solo on a live version of Margaritaville with the Hawaiian feel. On his first tour he came to Baton Rouge as a duo with just a guitarist with him and played a show at the Varsity theater. Closing the show he announced he was heading to “The Country Place” an after hours club I was playing in the house band. We went from about our regular 100-150 people to about 2-4hundred more and played nonstop till daylight. He said “take it pedal man” for solos and fills. At the time I had no idea what an icon he would become. But tons of fun that night.
Billy

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 4:00 pm    

great memories Billy, thanks for sharing.

I love those early Jimmy shows before he put the full band together. the guy was quite a troubadour with lots of great stories and one-liners between songs, and a fine singer too.

I just stumbled across this footage of a full Jimmy set from that era, the guitarist is Roger Bartlett with Bob Livingston of Greezy Wheels sitting in on bass. this is raw footage from 3 cameras, resolution isn't great but the sound sure is. it was filmed for a series called Cross Country sponsored by Lone Star beer which aired regionally in Texas. the beer was cold and plentiful and everyone seems to be in high spirits Winking
at one point Jimmy says, "those hot dogs got somethin' in em!"

https://archive.org/details/mp_Jimmy_Buffett_Day_2_Part_1

Willie Nelson was also on hand, he and Jimmy joined Greezy Wheels for a few country classics. this footage is much better visually:

Rollin In My Sweet Baby's Arms

Jambalaya

Stay All Night

Why Don't We Get Drunk

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 4:26 pm    

scott murray wrote:
Doyle is all over Jimmy's first 4 albums starting with 'A White Sport Coat' and adds so much to those records. it's disappointing to hear the steel drop off starting with Jimmy's breakthrough 'Changes in Latitudes' album in '77

The Don Gant produced "key west" era of Buffett's albums had steel. This was replaced more with Michael Utley's keys on the Norbert Putnam produced albums from Changes onward.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 5:07 pm    

Jimmy certainly wasn't the only one to drop the steel from his records as the 70s wore on but it would be interesting to know if the decision was mainly his or the producer's. perhaps Jimmy wanted his records to better reflect his live act, which never included steel until Doyle joined up decades later.

if I'm not mistaken, Jimmy first met Doyle at Tompall Glaser's studio in 1971 when Tompall was cutting a couple of Jimmy's songs with Doyle on steel. Jimmy was there to watch and listen, met Doyle and asked him to play on his upcoming album, and the rest is history. here's those Tompall cuts:

Tin Cup Chalice

The Christian

I believe Jimmy's first real success as a songwriter came a year later when Lefty Frizzell recorded and released Railroad Lady, produced by Don Gant (with Hal Rugg on dobro, apparently)

Railroad Lady

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 11:43 pm    

I just read the credits on "Come Monday" and the steel player on the song is Doyle Grisham
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 5:36 am    

Great videos Scott, I too was caught up with the sound of steel from those earlier Buffett albums, still listen to the these days.

My favorite song is 'Livingston's Gone to Texas'

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=jimmy+buffett+livingston+gone+to+texas&&mid=FE7A5ADA9C80EB947C2BFE7A5ADA9C80EB947C2B&&FORM=VRDGAR

The entire soundtrack to the movie, 'Rancho Deluxe' is a gem as well!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 8:17 am    

that's probably my favorite song of his too, Craig. he plays it on that archive.org video I posted above and says the song was written about Lanny Fiel, a one-time Nashville session musician.

he also recorded an earlier version in 1971 that remained unreleased for several years. I think this version in particular showcases what a fine singer he was: https://youtu.be/wgkWzF_OFbY

Rancho Deluxe is a great soundtrack album, lots of steel from Mr. Grisham and it sure sounds like the great Vassar Clements on fiddle. I watched the film recently on one of the free movie channels... fun flick.

Jimmy also put together the soundtrack for an earlier sportfishing documentary called 'Tarpon' filmed in and around Key West which also features Doyle.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 9:23 am    

Thanks for reminding me of that earlier version, I have that album and the earlier one 'Down to Earth" as well but haven't listened in a while.

There was a compilation of those two called before the salt released on CD years ago.

On the 'Living and Dying' version of the song, Doyle's steel makes it into so much better of a song and really captures the emotion, and that's what pedal steel does best in my opinion!

Great thread!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 7:50 am    

I subbed in with a local band a while back that covers 'Come Monday'.. I got their setlist ahead of time, and was going down the set list looking for 'potholes' (IYKYK Smile) and when I got to Come Monday, I listened through. When I got to the bridge I was reminded what a cool part the steel was, a textbook job of playing the right part for the song. They do several other Jimmy Buffett covers as well, and the crowd loved it!

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 11:11 am    

Craig Stock wrote:
Thanks for reminding me of that earlier version, I have that album and the earlier one 'Down to Earth" as well but haven't listened in a while.

There was a compilation of those two called before the salt released on CD years ago.

There are several compilations of those that usually have all the tracks from each album. I picked one up in walmart as a kid and was like "I don't know any of these tracks" didn't realize he had this whole folkie era pre White Sport Coat. I love that early Jimmy Buffett stuff, very Jim Croce Laurel Canyon singer songwriter folk esque stuff.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 11:45 am    

I have known Doyle Grisham since 1953. He is a great person, great guitar player, great pedal steel player. Doyle has played on many sessions through the years. He loved playing in the Buffett org.

Doyle is one of my heroes not just for his playing but for who and what he is. I have spend many great hours with him and his family from the time I was old enough to drive and go to Troy Texas where he and his family lived. I remember putting weight on the records to slow them down so he could get all the Atkins chops and he was about 15 at the time.
We played at the VA Hospital on Sundays for the Vets.

Glad to see him getting a little press.

George Sypert

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 12:23 pm    

Thanks for that George, John Brabant had told me that you guys were childhood friends.

I agree that Doyle was an unsung player that deserves a lot more recognition. He played on so many songs that are dear to me.

John, Yes those earlier albums were great to find after being such a Buffett fan and trying to find anything else by him. There is some really great songs on those early recordings!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 1:06 pm    

found this '76 Buffett article from the UK magazine Country Music People, featuring an ad for The Steel Mill with some familiar faces

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 8:18 pm    

there's a big tribute for Jimmy at the Hollywood Bowl on April 11 featuring the Coral Reefer Band with Doyle Grisham along with the likes of Paul McCartney, Eagles, Jackson Browne and many more.

the Coral Reefer band will also be paying tribute to Jimmy at Jazz Fest in New Orleans on May 5.

and Doyle will be in Myrtle Beach with other Coral Reefer band members on June 28:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BuffettNews/permalink/10161786979613385/

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:36 am    

It’s either fearless or foolish to tackle a great song like this, but people need to be reminded of such gems....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBCBXaIPlU
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.