The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking a break
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 9:40 am    

Started taking piano lessons again. Playing Schubert waltzes and a little bach. Haven't touched anything with (exposed) strings in 3 weeks. This is the first break I've taken since I started 5 years ago or so. Feels good. Not sure when I'll return. Probably next week.

Maybe somebody else can relate. Otherwise, not much point to this post.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 9:42 am    

Enjoy those piano lesson Tal! If indeed you return to steel, they'll no doubt come in use there too! Good luck in 2024!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 10:28 am    

In 2018, I kinda took a break from steel to learn to play the dobro, but this year, I'm getting back to the steel. By 2021 or 2022, I would listen to my favorite nineties country records and it made me miss playing steel, so my plan this year is to make the steel and dobro accessible to play, meaning I will play dobro at jam sessions and in my church's band, and will keep my steel set up at my house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 10:36 am    

I can sort of relate in the opposite direction (with a cautionary tale?).

I played steel from my last year of high school (76-77) through my college years. I started playing classical guitar around 1981, and then gradually decided to focus just on that and sold off all my other equipment (I was lucky to have sold my 69/70 tele to my brother, who gave it back to me ten years later). I didn't play (or even own) a steel again until I suddenly had a pedal steel moment in 2005.

At that time, I was about six or seven months into taking piano lessons. I was just getting into simple Bach pieces, some Bartok Microcosmos, a Haydn sonatina, and such. I set up the steel (Carter Starer I found locally), and a lot came back pretty quickly and easily. I sat there thinking: "I can practice for an hour or two a day on the piano and suck at playing pieces a lot of ten-year-olds can play easily. Or I can just sit down and make music on the steel." That was the end of my foray into piano playing.

Having said that, I really wish I could play Schubert waltzes on the piano!

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 17 Jan 2024 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 10:59 am    

I took a 5 year break around 2008 to focus on playing Trumpet. Played Trumpet for 5 years, took a bunch of lessons and finally played with a band in a new york city club. Once I did that, I fulfilled a lifelong passion, I put the trumpet down and picked steel back up. Haven't played the trumpet since.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 12:38 pm     Re: Taking a break

Tal Herbsman wrote:
Started taking piano lessons again. Playing Schubert waltzes and a little bach. Haven't touched anything with (exposed) strings in 3 weeks. This is the first break I've taken since I started 5 years ago or so. Feels good. Not sure when I'll return. Probably next week.

Maybe somebody else can relate. Otherwise, not much point to this post.

I needed a break from Steel about 20 years ago. I was only hitting ceilings. So, I went to guitar, played Jazz Rhythm for years until a few years ago. I needed it, enjoyed it and LEARNED a LOT from it.
I came back to steel with a brand you look at music, new goals, new approach. I wished it had happened earlier but it's good!

Bach is good, he and Chopin were LIVE improvisers... something purist classic education has forgotten about.

I'm a Tchaikovsky admirer. He is one of the few I can not comprehend how ONE person can come up with all that.
Piano is a great visualizer... linear.

Tell us about your time "there"... we all might learn a few new tricks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.