The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intended frequency range/tunings for Nat’l Tricones?
Peter Krebs

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 11:21 am    

Hey there. A comment on the forum recently caught my eye that had to do with the design of Natl’l Tricones favoring ‘E’ based (and related) tunings/frequencies (I’m paraphrasing). Is there anything to this? Some tunings just don’t seem to ‘pop’ on my Tricone, even though I have the string gauges correct. Some sound great. Hmmm.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 5:26 am    

I can't answer your specific question but I can say that my Tricone (1929 National) seems to respond to some tunings better than others. More on that below but I guess even a metal bodied instrument could react as wood does; with variations on frequencies.

I've never tried an E tuning. When I acquired the National, it was set up for open D, very bluesy and the heavy bass strings worked well tonally. I've read that Tricones like a certain amount of pressure on the bridge, hence open D gauges would support that arguement. Sadly I don't do blues!

So, I went with much lighter strings and open A. Very bright and responsive when playing hawaiian-oriented stuff, incredible harmonics and pleasant overtones. Also with swing music, A was a good fit for soloing and melodies but IMO too bright for comping (I admit that could be down to me!)

Last year, I began attending a bluegrass meet-up 1-2 per month and re-strung and tuned to G and I was astonished that the tone is noticeably different. I intend to stay with G as this is my main use for an acoustic (and I promised myself: no more guitars, no more guitars, no ...).

I will experiment with strings. I was using D'Addario EFT's for open A but for G I took a standard "Dobro" set. I think I will go back to EFT's for the next re-string and hopefully recover that bright tone.

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 6:18 am    

I would be interested if anyone has done in depth research on the acoustics of tricone or spider cone guitars. I think this stuff gets very complicated very quickly and for practical use, trial and error is usually the best. The WHY can be very hard or impossible to answer. Maybe someone out there can offer an explanation? Here is an interesting site on the acoustics of a violin using Chladni patterns to reveal some of the invisible things going on. https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/chladni.html#modes

I would be interested if there is any agreement on which tunings sound best.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 10:49 am     National

When Tricones were first invented in 1927-29 what tunings were players using?

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 5:38 pm    

Well there is no difference in the cone setup or vent holes between a squareneck Tricone and a spanish Tricone so anywhere between Low E and High E or so should be fine. The resonant frequency of the air in the body will support the lower notes to some extent.
Some tunings with repeated notes or close harmonic relationships are going to tend to sound more full.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:39 am     Re: National

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
When Tricones were first invented in 1927-29 what tunings were players using?

I would assume Lowbass and Hibass G or A was very popular at that time, maybe also E tuning.
Having a E or D string as your first string has proven to sound great on Tricones. The only issue I see with 6th (closer interval) tunings is that some of them (like C6) don't put enough pressure on the cones to make it as loud and cutting through as A Hibass for example. But I know a couple of Hawaiian C6 players who also play C6th on their Tricones and it sounds totally fine, it's all up the player : )