The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA 12-String No Serial
Jim Parker

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 9:32 am    

I've had this frankenstein MSA 12 for a while with the idea of making a universal out of it. Of course, I've never gotten around to that. It's in decent mechanical shape, but I cannot find a serial number on it anywhere. Looks like an MSA changer to me -- the body, the frame, the headstock, and original pickup are all MSA. Pedals are a Sho-Bud set though.

Anybody have an idea what year this guitar might be or what might've happened to the serial number?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 12:48 pm    

Serial Number, Underneath on the front apron, Near the the changer, Right below the paper sticker looks like some stamped numbers, But have been polished till they can't be easier read.
Some things about the changer do not match the Classic era guitars I have owned.

Jim Parker

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 1:55 pm    

Thanks, Bobby. But there really isn't anything stamped anywhere near the changer where I'd expect it to be. I think what looks like a sticker near the front apron is just a reflection of the deck. Here are a couple more close-ups.

And the other thing that strikes me is that the return springs are all adjustable. My MSA D-10 has each spring anchored at one end with a screw, not adjustable like this guitar. And it looks stock to this particular changer, not the adapter that Michael Yahl sells. (Unless holes were drilled in the end plate to accomodate the adjustable springs.)

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 2:41 pm    

My guess is that the cabinet has been remade, from it's appearance. That would explain the missing ser. #.

Also missing the decal.

Mullen fret board. Mullen scale is 24 1/4" while older generation of MSA were 24".

A few other oddities here and there too.

Not unusual for the endplate to be drilled and adjustable springs added. I had a machinist do that to a guitar end plate I once owned that didn't have them.

All these things really don't matter much long as the guitar plays well up until you would want to sell it anyway.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 4:47 pm    

What is the actual length of the scale now on the guitar?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 4:49 pm    

Could also be a refin...that would explain a few things.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 5:10 pm    

It's mostly an MSA, with a few Mullen parts. Definitely a rebuild because a different style stop-plate has been made for the MSA changer. That part was crudely made (hacksaw cuts and all), but the original MSA Classic parts were all precision machined, for a far more professional appearance.

Nonetheless, it's probably a fine guitar.

Jim Parker

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 7:05 am    

Thanks for all the responses --

Good catch on the stop plate, Donny. That solves the mystery of the missing serial number. I hadn't noticed that before. But it was probably done at the same time the adjustable springs were added.

Yes, it has been refinished, and it's a pretty sloppy job. You can see lacquer drips if you look closely. That definitely explains the missing MSA decals on the front. The body itself is in good shape, not a lot of extra screw holes, and it's solid.

Scale is 24", Bobby. Seller told me he liked the look of the Mullen fingerboard, so that's what it has.

All in all, it's a nice guitar for what I paid for it, flaws and all. It stays in tune, sounds good, and it's pretty clean. It's mostly stayed in the case since I got it. Thanks again.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 4:00 am    

I looked at the pictures of the MSA S10 Classic that I sold. It had a flat plate the width of back leg socket, Across the end plate. That was where the lower return spring anchor screws were, And the serial number. The serial number was between the back leg socket and the 10 string return spring. If the 12 string SN was in the same place.
In the modification for adjustable lower return springs, The serial number went bye bye.

Forum will not let me upload a picture, To this post.
May want to add a made up serial number for insurance ID.

Jim Parker

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 6:22 am    

I do have an MSA D-10, and I had a look at the changer. The serial number on that guitar is in between the two sets of fingers on the plate. I would have expected the number to be on that plate on this guitar, too. So, yeah, when that plate got replaced to add the adjustable springs, the serial went with it on the S-12.

The D-10 serial number is between the changers.

It would be nice to be able to get a rough date of manufacture on this guitar, but not a pressing need. I sent a note to the guys at MSA to see if they might have an idea of when it was made. Thanks again.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 10:47 pm    

Jim Parker wrote:
Scale is 24", Bobby. Seller told me he liked the look of the Mullen fingerboard, so that's what it has.

I'm assuming the new body was built with a 24 1/4 in scale neck otherwise the Mullen fretboard wouldn't match up to the original MSA 24.