The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite preamp?
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 6:06 pm    

For you guys that are using a rack/component system, what are your favorite preamps? I’ve got a Jay Ganz power amp on the way, and looking for some input (no pun intended).

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 8:13 pm    

Sarno Revelation (JJ 12AX7MG tubes).
I've been experimenting with various PEDAL preamps and have found two that I like:
1) Boss 59 Bassman. Very compatible for steel tone.
2) MXR M81. It has a mid shift control. The bass and treble control frequencies are in a tight range with the Peavey Session 400. Also, very compatible with steel.
Set the master volume (output) control full on and bring your channel volume (gain) up to the same volume or a little higher as with the pedal switched off. You get clean tone this way.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 6:19 am    

1-Anything made by Brad Sarno but I’m partial to his tonic preamp.
2-Walker stereo steel blackface preamp.
3-Peavey Tubefex

Haven’t tried the Sesh 400 by TC Furlong yet but anything TC builds is top notch equipment and the reviews are great.

I’m also using the MXR-M81 great little preamp. 🙂

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 11 Jan 2024 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 7:19 am    

MXR M81 is a preamp pedal. It isn't a power amp. It will work with any power amp. I use it with a Quilter 201 power amp.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 7:27 am    

My favorite is a Tube Works Blue Tube.
Erv

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 7:42 am    

Dennis said:
Quote:
MXR M81 is a preamp pedal. It isn't a power amp. It will work with any power amp. I use it with a Quilter 201 power amp.

Guess it was too early for me to post! Laughing

I confused it with the GK MB-200 I used to have. But yes…the MXR is a good compact preamp that would work well with the Ganz power amp and I corrected my post to reflect that.

Thanks for catching that, Dennis! Winking
You’re the reason I purchased the preamp from this thread you had.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=395502&highlight=

Dave 🙂

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 7:58 am    

My favorite was a Furman Sound PQ-3, parametric EQ/Preamp.

Runner-up would be an Evans single rack space Preamp, I believe the model is ESPA(?).

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 8:06 am    

The thought crossed my mind that you were thinking of another MXR pedal. I'm 75 and any time of the day gets confusing for me.
Tom Brumley preferred the 59 Bassman amp to get the tone he wanted. The Boss 59 pedal will get you in that ballpark with the proper speakers. Combined with the tubiness of the Quilter 201 and its modeling selections, it's there. I tap it, a delay and reverb through the effects loop to eliminate any white noise.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 8:10 am    

I still have a PQ-3. It's also a great old school preamp. Very versatile unit. They are hard to find and pricey today. Emmons used one along with a Session 400 when he recorded the Live At The Convention album.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 10:18 am    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
I still have a PQ-3. It's also a great old school preamp. Very versatile unit. They are hard to find and pricey today. Emmons used one along with a Session 400 when he recorded the Live At The Convention album.

I ran my PQ-3 into a Furman RV-1 Rack mount spring reverb. Power amp was a Peavey M3000. Then into a Peavey/JBL 15" in a dead Session 400. Janet Furman gave them to me for free because I was the scheduler at the plating shop in Oakland in the late 70's - Early 80's, that anodized the front panels and cad plated the chassis. I would rush their stuff through.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 11:00 am    

Mine is blackface front, red knobs.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 11:22 am     Pre amp

Hey Roger, I'm using the Boss GT-1000 core, Sounds fantastic

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 12:40 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
Mine is blackface front, red knobs.

Mine too. Those are the one's we anodized. I think the first one's were red panel. Janet was an engineer and designed the PQ-3. They even gave some panels to mount jacks in for front inputs. Janet is an interesting person.

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 1:21 pm    

Hey Roger, I guess I’m old school but I’ve been using Evans DP2R Preamps for several years now. I recently bought a Revelation from a Forum Member and it is a great preamp as well. I have used the Sansamp Tech 21 Blonde V2 pedal, I have a couple of those and that works really well, very clean. I have 4 of Jay’s amps and that is what I have been primarily using now for a few years. They are small, lightweight,clean and powerful. Very transparent and do not change your tone……Good choice!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 3:33 pm    

Well, strike the FBM-1 off the list. Discontinued. MXR M81 looks interesting.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 4:02 pm    

Roger,
Like Danny Harrell, I’m also using a Jay Ganz 500 watt power amp…regarding a preamp, Brad Sarno’s V8 Octal is what I’m using and going on into the Ganz power amp and finally, a Travis Toy TT 15” speaker in a Tommy Huff cab of course. Sounds good to me…👍

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 4:49 pm    

Carl,
Looking at Brad’s page, the V8 doesn’t have the mid control that the SMS Classic has. What lead you to the V8?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 11:01 pm    

The Boss Bassman pedal is still being sold used or open box on ebay. Some sellers are listing it as an overdrive pedal, but that depends on how you set the pre and post gains. Lead guitarists like it as an overdrive. Price is inching up and near $200.00. The M81 is a good option.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 1:58 pm    

Roger,
I bought my V8 Octal used from Jim Palenscar. You’re right there’s no “mid” control but it really hasn’t been an issue to my ears anyway. The Gain, Bass and Treble controls along with the volume control on the rear of the unit make it a simple operation. Jay’s power amp only has a volume control which I normally turn to 9 only…this 500 watt amp can get loud! Finally, the V8 has a relatively small footprint vs its Big Brother, The Revelation. 👌🤔

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 3:15 pm    

Hi there Roger

sent you an email thru Forum

Regards,
Ron

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 6:50 pm    

Roger Crawford wrote:
Carl,
Looking at Brad’s page, the V8 doesn’t have the mid control that the SMS Classic has. What lead you to the V8?

I have a V8 and have never felt the need for a mid range control. It is an astonishing sounding pre amp. Very different basic sound than his fender based circuits. I also have a Spectrum that is fantastic. It does have a midrange control.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 6:22 am    

I’m a little surprised at the lack of mentioning the SESH400. Is it too new to be on everyone’s radar? The reviews I’ve seen on other posts seems positive.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 7:35 am    

A mid control has always been the most vital aspect of finding my preferred tone. Adding the shift control details it even more. No mid and I'm bound by the manufacturer's choice of mid frequency. The Furman PQ-3 is the only preamp that I know of that has a separate control for bandwidth of a selected frequency.
The other option to a preamp with fewer controls is to try different guitars, pickups and speakers which can be expensive and time consuming. This is probably where most of us go in pursuit of our tone. And we wonder how Buddy could find his tone with the different brands of guitars and amps that he used in later years. His right hand was only the finishing touch. Watching him tweak his amp, he usually found it by picking short scales around the 7th fret.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 8:55 am    

Sesh 400 into the Jay Ganz is killer.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 9:07 am    

John Macy wrote:
Sesh 400 into the Jay Ganz is killer.

Yes!Can't leave that combo out!

SH