The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Working an alternate Tuning for Weissenborn (G6 ?)
Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 11:22 am    

Greetings
I play Weiss exclusively (tho I ponder acquiring a slab lap steel now and then while browsing the ads). I have 4, with standard JP weiss strings (.058-.017 or so). One is in CGCGCD, baritone in C, teardrop in open D… and I have another… and I’m kicking around options.

I fell upon a page with a G6 tuning DGDGBE. I guess a David Gilmour tuning? This works with my string gauge, is familiar, but really only differs with the E high (tho provides a minor group, major and power chord group.

The G6 i see most often here is DBGEDG. It seems my standard Weiss strings would be a’ snapping if I tuned them up this way. I realize it may be lazy, but I’m not sure I want to be tweaking gauges down to suit that… plus those heavier gauge low strings on Weiss really help it to rumble.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Tanks
Mark
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 11:44 am    

Why not tune down a step so it is the same but in F? .017 sounds pretty heavy for E and even if it is not snapping that must be a lot of pressure!
You also could probably keep the other strings the same but just use lighter top strings, say, .014 or .015 for the top E if you want it to be in G.

Tunings with the 6th of the chord on top are rare, though not deservedly so, as I am sure you can hear.

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 11:55 am    

Ah, so CAFDCF?

(Pardon my stuck in open D/G/C brain set)

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 2:06 pm    

If you want to use the same gauge strings, the best option would be a G tuning DGDGBD. If you want to go with a little bit lighter strings, I would try a G6 but spelled BDEGBD. Of course, there are thousands of other options.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 3:47 pm    

I’m with Kevin Maul on the G6 he suggested, especially if you want to play some swing. That 6th tone is so much more useful in the middle of the tuning. You do lose the big power chords, but I imagine you’ll be keeping one in open D anyways.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 4:44 am     G6 tuning options

For what it's worth, Cindy Cashdollar suggests:

D B G E B G
16 18 26 34 46 56

If you like to go back and forth between the regular G tuning and the G6th, keep the 34 gauge string on.

John Christian

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 6:58 am    

I use that tuning you mentioned Mark DGDGBE. I didn't know it was the David Gilmore tuning but that makes sense. Good for blues and rock, same top end as a guitar so you don't have to relearn anything if you play guitar, and you can play 6ths. I actually use open G DGDGBD mostly, and then just raise top string to get the 6th tuning. The open G sounds more country to me, and the other more rock.

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 9:17 am    

K Maul wrote:
If you want to use the same gauge strings, the best option would be a G tuning DGDGBD. If you want to go with a little bit lighter strings, I would try a G6 but spelled BDEGBD. Of course, there are thousands of other options.

I’m going to take a flyer on the BDEGBD tuning with 6th in the middle. Really switch it up from open D,C and G (with some familiarity on the treble side)

Current string set is 58, 48, 38, 27, 18, 15
An old thread shows a Paul Beard string set with gauges 17, 19, 27, 30, 35, 45, (56, 59).
I got a big box o’ misc strings… should I swap the entire low end 3 strings out?

Thanks for all the sage guidance here, folks!

Mark E in Denver

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 12:10 pm    

Never mind. Figured it out. Now I have ‘figure it out’ how to play a new tuning. Will look for tabs and tips

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 12:42 pm    

Mark Evans wrote:
K Maul wrote:

I’m going to take a flyer on the BDEGBD tuning with 6th in the middle. Really switch it up from open D,C and G (with some familiarity on the treble side)

Current string set is 58, 48, 38, 27, 18, 15
An old thread shows a Paul Beard string set with gauges 17, 19, 27, 30, 35, 45, (56, 59).
I got a big box o’ misc strings… should I swap the entire low end 3 strings out?

Thanks for all the sage guidance here, folks!

Mark E in Denver

Keeping your current strings the Cindy Cashdollar tuning makes the most sense. I would NOT tune a 58 gauge up to B on Weissenborn.
I like DGEGBD.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2024 5:43 pm     Re: G6 tuning options

Mike Harris wrote:
For what it's worth, Cindy Cashdollar suggests:

D B G E B G
16 18 26 34 46 56

If you like to go back and forth between the regular G tuning and the G6th, keep the 34 gauge string on.

I use that tuning on my Weissenborn copy, except I substitute a 32 for the 34. I rarely tune the E down to D

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2024 6:00 pm    

Lately I’ve been playing my Iseman weissie in D6/Bm and it’s quite fun and stays intuitively familiar (for my limited “60’s were hard on me” brain & fretboard ability). I play most all my laps and dobros now in open D. For D6: I just tune the second string up a step. Easy-peezy. There’s a small collection of slants and string pulls that make it pretty cool.

Low to hi: DADF#BD. And I use the same strings that I play on my dobro, Asher, and others (open D=DADF#AD) String Gauge: 56-46-36- 26 -17-15

Greg Booth (and family) did a great version of Boot Heel Drag with this tuning
https://youtu.be/qlPRUt6KneE?feature=shared