The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacements Tuners
Virgil Franklin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 8:28 am    

The Lollypop tuners on my lap steel are cracking out. I was looking at some Kluesen tuners.

Anyone of you have a thought?

Link below:
https://reverb.com/item/45778599-kluson-4-on-a-plate-deluxe-series-tuning-machines-for-lap-steel-guitar-nickel

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 10:23 am    

If that's a picture of your guitar, it looks like someone has already replaced the original tuner pans with a later model version. Yes, the replacement Klusons should work although you may have to remove some wood on the sides of the pan opening to make them fit. Your long scale stringmaster would have originally had tuner pans with just a hole for the tuner shaft and without the side slots, requiring the lollipops to be heated and removed in order to remove the gear plate. I don't think the metal butterbean style tuner knob can be removed by heating.

Virgil Franklin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 11:37 am    

Thanks Bill! I truly appreciate the insight...

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 1:26 pm    

Current Klusons four on a plate tuners, do NOT fit Fender Stringmaster pans. They only fit Kluson pans. I have a number of both the Stringmaster tuners/pans and the Kluson tuners/pans and the parts do not interchange.

I bought two NOS Fender pans and I am still looking for tuners that will fit them,

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 2:01 pm    

a) Those pans look original... not wider at the nut like later SM's. Looks like someone slotted them to put some Klusons in. This is actually a good thing. And you can put single tuners in... you don't have to use four-on-a-stick ones... take the pan off and examine the side with the mix of LP's and kidney bean... interested as to what you find.

b) If the mechanism is OK you can just remove the circular 'lollipop' buttons and replace them with whatever you want... Stew-Mac has a big assortment... unfortunately original LP's are not on the menu. You can melt them or glue them on... you have to 'sweat' the old LP's off, they're soldered on. Propane and pliers.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 6:15 am    

Virgil,
I have a set of original tuners for a 26” scale stringmaster like yours. Message me if you’re interested. I can send you some pics if you’d like.
Nate

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 6:03 am