The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on hollowneck acoustic guitars
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 9:07 am    

I am looking for an acoustic instrument to play my ragtime arrangements on and maybe even record.

I was discussing this with Don Rooke and he gave me some great suggestions, but I am keeping my eyes open to other possibilities. I would like something not too bright but with a nice mid honk. I am not really considering a resonator at this time, either. I like the hollowneck because it is more comfortable to play in addition to the sound. I don’t like the off-balance nature of using an acoustic (round neck) guitar so much.

I’m looking for quality sound and construction at a miserly price. Very Happy

Will be tuned to C6, which might complicate things even more. If you’ve heard some of my arrangements, there is not a lot of open string stuff. A pretty high action above the fretboard would be nice.

I know SGF brotherhood loves to talk gear, so have at it.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 10:10 am    

I have a Emerald Solace weissenborn that is currently tuned to C6. Let me know if you want to check it out. Sounds good both acoustically and plugged in.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 10:28 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I have a Emerald Solace weissenborn that is currently tuned to C6. Let me know if you want to check it out. Sounds good both acoustically and plugged in.

Oh man, those are so cool but way out of my budget. I'm like scrimping and scrounging, but I feel like it is something I need.
I am down to the bare essentials in my instrument collection. Everything has a purpose, even the Rogue. Laughing There's nothing left to sell here.

Would love to check it out some time!

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 12:50 pm    

The best bang for the buck are the Chinese hollow-necks. Goldtone sells a couple of models. I bought the mahogany version. it has plenty of volume and appears to be a well-built instrument. I am sure it can't compete with with the premium models including the Solace for tone but it hits the spot for me. YMMV.

Karlis

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 5:27 pm    

Lazy River Weissenborn.
Mahogany

I’ve heard acoustic slide guitars don’t bark so loud tuned to C6 (light gauge str) so often in G, D etc…. But with a sound hole PU they sing.
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 8:24 pm    

I have my Republic tricone tuned to C6 and I like it. I keep my Imperial weissenborn tuned to D. I really like the tone of it but I haven't tuned it to C6. Both are Chinese but I find they are pretty decent for the money. I got the Imperial for $450 used.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 9:27 pm    

Thanks for the suggestions. I have received quite a few PMs with tips as well. I am willing to consider everything, but I feel more compelled to buy something made by a small luthier/business.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 7:34 am    

I really love what you are doing with these old ragtime tunes! Pretty mind blowing from a technical aspect, and you are making it look easy. Are you committed to 6 string C6? Personally I feel like 7 or 8 would be better for these tunes, because 6 string C6 is just lacking in the low end. Lower bass parts really add to the contrast between the moving parts of highly syncopated music. That said I have thoroughly enjoyed your efforts on 6 string as well. Keep doing what you are doing! I play a little bit of ragtime on standard guitar, (more in the stripped down style of Mctell/Blake etc.) and I think it sounds best on a large bodied, 15+ inches, ladder braced guitar like a Harmony/Stella Jumbo.

https://reverb.com/item/3598074-vintage-harmony-h1270-12-string-acoustic-guitar-lead-belly-blues-machine-worn-in

These are my favorite guitars I have ever played, and easy to convert to 7 (8?) string lap steel. They sound like a grand piano!

I tried to upload a picture of my Harmony I converted, but can't seem to do that anymore? Anyone else having trouble uploading pictures?

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 12:05 pm     Jack Stepnick

Hi Mike,
If you haven't already you might contact Jack Stepnick. I think he is a forum member. Several members have his instruments and have posted good reviews of them. Reasonably priced and in your home state as well.

Here's a link:

https://jackstepickluthier.blogspot.com/p/traditional-weissenborn-styles.html

Steven Wilson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 4:29 pm    

I have an Iseman type 2 (I think) Weisenborn reproduction that I bought used maybe 4 years ago. Iseman is a very reputable luthier in Hawaii. The guitar has great tone (Koa wood) and is incredibly light compared to my resonator guitars. I haven't tried the mahogany Weissenborn-style instruments, but they are certainly more affordable. I keep mine in open D after originally tuning it to open G like my dobro and deciding the bridge and top might not handle the tension. I'm guessing A6 would be better than C6 in that regard.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 5:44 pm    

Tim Toberer wrote:
I really love what you are doing with these old ragtime tunes! Pretty mind blowing from a technical aspect, and you are making it look easy. Are you committed to 6 string C6? Personally I feel like 7 or 8 would be better for these tunes, because 6 string C6 is just lacking in the low end. Lower bass parts really add to the contrast between the moving parts of highly syncopated music. That said I have thoroughly enjoyed your efforts on 6 string as well. Keep doing what you are doing!

Tim, I am committed to 6 strings. Look at it this way: my playing is akin to the piano right hand. The bass will take care of the low end. I plan on presenting this music in a trio setting.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 9:51 pm    

If you can ever find one of the hand built Fluger Weiss/Dobro hybrids, check it out.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 12:41 am    

Karlis Abolins wrote:
The best bang for the buck are the Chinese hollow-necks. Goldtone sells a couple of models. I bought the mahogany version. it has plenty of volume and appears to be a well-built instrument. I am sure it can't compete with with the premium models including the Solace for tone but it hits the spot for me. YMMV.

Karlis

I agree. I picked up a Luna Weissenborn copy., which has served me well for 5 or 6 years. At Ken Emerson’s suggestion, I started with open G tuning, and made modification based on sound and note choice. I’ve used it on several records and 100’s of Hawaiian & tiki gigs

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 6:00 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Tim Toberer wrote:
I really love what you are doing with these old ragtime tunes! Pretty mind blowing from a technical aspect, and you are making it look easy. Are you committed to 6 string C6? Personally I feel like 7 or 8 would be better for these tunes, because 6 string C6 is just lacking in the low end. Lower bass parts really add to the contrast between the moving parts of highly syncopated music. That said I have thoroughly enjoyed your efforts on 6 string as well. Keep doing what you are doing!

Tim, I am committed to 6 strings. Look at it this way: my playing is akin to the piano right hand. The bass will take care of the low end. I plan on presenting this music in a trio setting.

It is truly inspiring how much music you are playing on those 6 strings. You will sound amazing on any guitar I am sure.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 5:52 am    

Hi Mike, I hope you are well.
I am assuming you are thinking about some sort of Weissenborn type instrument. They are very cool and you could soon hit big money if you are not careful. I am sure you will try before you buy. Very important for any instrument but I think especially so for these. I have a couple of these and they are definitely not for sale, but I can give you my thoughts on what I think are the pros and cons of this type of instrument. First of all they are great fun and can sound epic. They are very easy to get pickups fitted and take effects very well if that is your thing. But the big thing about the sound of a Weissenborn is not the mid range which is very good....... It is the bottom end. They are magnificent in the low register, even tuning way down to C. So low bass tunings and D tuning are in the weissenborns element.
Now I did try C6 many years ago on a Weissenborn and I soon changed back. It was not that it did not sound and play OK it was just that these guitars sound so much better with a low tuning on the bottom end. Although I am sure you will get it to work. I just think you will be missing a main character of the instrument. As I am sure you are aware you need to be careful about string tension on a weissenborn. Especially the more expensive luthier made or vintage instruments. If it is possible to borrow one and try a set of C6 strings you can obviously make your own mind up.
If it is ragtime and C6 tuning then for me a better solution would be a spider bridge resonator. I am sure you have had some experience with these but they do sound great in the C6 range. I am not a Bluegrass player but do play quite a lot of Hawaiian type music with a bullet type bar and it works very well for me.
Here are a couple of Weissenborn videos of mine. One in D tuning.... the other G tuning with a ow E.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF8gxxbJxtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNjhM9MPbk
You can hear just how great the bottom end is on the D tuned instrument.

I wish you all the best in your search for an acoustic instrument and if you have any questions I will only be too grateful to help.

All the best,
Mike

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 7:57 am    

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I think I am leaning towards a resonator guitar, but whether a biscuit bridge, tricone or spider bridge I am not yet sure. I have experience with all of these, it's just that I want a sound I won't tire of easily.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 8:17 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I think I am leaning towards a resonator guitar, but whether a biscuit bridge, tricone or spider bridge I am not yet sure. I have experience with all of these, it's just that I want a sound I won't tire of easily.

As a hobby instrument builder, I love the puzzle of an acoustic 6 string C6 guitar. I have combed through the internet for inspiration for resonator designs and recently discovered Del Vecchio guitars, which I am sure some here are familiar with. This design might be something to consider. I know they use a very light gauge spun resonator described by some as a pie tin. I know Chet Atkins was very fond of his. Just thinking out loud...

Laurence Pangaro

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 11:46 pm    

Hi Mike,

I know they're not hollow-necked, but if I remember correctly, the Weissenborn Kona style instruments have a shorter string length that might be a good fit for C6. (I know that you're shifting considerations toward resonators, but I thought I'd throw out this idea.)

LP

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 4:48 am    

I use C6th on my Weissenborn via tuning down to G6th using a standard G tuning set. But I’m not that picky about string tension. My opinion: I love the Resophonic sound but it is a very specific tone signature. The Weissenborn is more open to different sounds but for Ragtime, having less sustain and a punchier bass may get you closer to that pianistic sweet spot. Whatever you choose, you’ll sound great, Mike.

rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 10:40 am    

Personally, I think a modern wood body hollowneck tricone combines all of the best elements of stellar examples of the previously mentioned instruments. Mikiya Matsuda plays a Bonham in some of his videos for instance.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 10:44 am    

I keep my Republic tricone in C6. I know it doesn't qualify as a true "budget" option, even if it is the one of the cheapest tricones in town. It also isn't a hollowneck...squareneck yes but if you want the full deep neck like a Weissenborn, its not quite that.

A Weissenborn will have a more conventional acoustic guitar sound which might make it more versatile...although I feel like some resos have better sustain (is that just my motivated reasoning I wonder though?). The examples I usually find of people playing Weissenborns there is a lot of open string stuff and basically...not how you expect to be playing it. But you definitely have shown a hearty willingness to play these instruments in ways other people aren't, so you'll be fine! Very Happy

Funnily enough my main complaint with my tricone is that the fret markers are confusing. Almost to the point where I might put stickers on them! Fret 15 for the double dot, I mean really (I'm sure its historically accurate or something like that).

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 10:50 am    

rodger_mcbride wrote:
Mikiya Matsuda plays a Bonham in some of his videos for instance.

Pretty lovely sound he gets out of it! Appears to be in A6 tuning (356135). Absolutely no reason if you are tuning to that A6 that you couldn't tune to 135613 C6, with minor gauge adjustments if necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEMfiqRnoo

(Although I'd guess that right there is not a budget friendly instrument)

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 11:28 am    

I was going to suggest Ben Bonham’s single cone hollowneck

https://reverb.com/item/35338742-bonham-design-bonham-design-45-single-cone-weissenborn-brand-new

A bit pricey but great tone
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 9:21 pm    

Mark Evans wrote:
I was going to suggest Ben Bonham’s single cone hollowneck

https://reverb.com/item/35338742-bonham-design-bonham-design-45-single-cone-weissenborn-brand-new

A bit pricey but great tone

No shipping - local pick up only.......so, there's that.....

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 6:12 am     Acoustic

Here’s a guitar I wish I could share with you. Flat top, F hole arched back square neck. 15-1/2” lower bout of solid spruce. I have owned Ohau and Regal acoustics and this one has better volume and jazz box tone. It’s not for sale. I would suggest an Ohau Jumbo.