The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thoughts on Bob Perry Finger Picks
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 9:39 pm    

Well, I decided to try a pair of Bob Perry Signature picks. These are .025 ga. cobalt plated nickel/silver and similar in design to the old Nationals except the blade is narrower. I ordered the Sig II style. This style has 2 holes in the band v. 3 on the originals.

However, I just noticed after a few days, that I got one of the 2 hole models and one of the 3 hole style. Not that big a deal, I guess, but for $22 bucks they ought to match.

I sent a message to Elderly and waiting to see what they are going to do about it. In the meantime, I need to start wearing my eyeglasses all the time. 🤓

Some observations after a few hours:

The blades are narrower, perhaps 1 mm or so compared to JFs and old Nationals as are the bands.

The sound is a little crisper and brighter with these over the JFs and Nationals I commonly use.

There is less pick noise with the cobalt for when my blocking isn't up to par.

The blades are not quite as curved as my other picks.

The ring bands are completely round and have no crimps at the holes.

They are much more comfortable than any of my other picks.

My fingers are small [size 8 ring size] so the bands overlap on top of the nail when adjusted to fit good and tight.

Within 10 minutes, they left a metallic smudge on my fingers.

Thoughts are that I may try to curve the blades in a little more, but I wanted to see if I got used to them first in case they didn't suit and I might want to sell them.

I noticed a definite change in my tone. Crisper and maybe sweeter. Jury still out having only a few hours of use, but I think I'm going to like them...especially for the tone, but I really wish the blades were wider, meatier.

These might be a good choice for players who are looking to tighten up their tone or for players who want a pick similar to the Nationals or JFs.

They are $22 a pair from Elderly and in stock now. They also have 2 other models of BPs.

The online photo is not accurate as it shows a wider blade than they actually are.

I'll try to put up a comparison photo next to the National soon as I can get a good clear shot.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 31 Dec 2023 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 8:28 am    

I'm not familiar with those picks. Are they new on the market? I was given a gift certificate for some of the Landis silver picks. Just ordered my set. I will give them a try and report my findings. Not sure how long he takes to make them.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 9:27 am    

They've been on the market for a few years. I think some banjer players, maybe dobro players are using these.

Been wanting to try some cobalt plated picks.. Thought I'd try these..

Definite crisper snap. Don't know if that's due to the cobalt or the lesser width of the blade although it's not much narrower...nothing like the Pickeys.

Here's a shot compared to an old National.

Maybe you could start a new topic on finger pick comparisons.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 9:33 am    

I noticed Banjo Ben has these and Dunlop in cobalt coated. I use Dunlop so i will try a set. Thanks Jerry

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 12:41 pm    

As I expected, Elderly stepped up and replaced the incorrect pick. They didn't ask for the wrong one back so I might experiment with it on the ring finger for the 3 pick method.

Elderly is good people. I've done several deals with them.

Dave Falk

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 9:00 am     Bp signature picks

I have been using these picks for years on my dobro per Rob Ickes. Rob sells two different versions...this set for $18

https://robickes.com/product/cobalt-bp-signature-picks/

or this set for $26
https://robickes.com/product/gold-plated-bp-signature-picks-one-pair/

Happy New Year!