The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Scam
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 6:11 pm    

I am an administrator of “amp Settings and Scales “ on FB
A Guy named Chris Wansi scammed me out of $100 towards the show Bud super pro. I found the exact same photos of this Guitar on eBay.. at least I did not drive to Indiana to meet him and buy this guitar. I would’ve been sitting in a parking lot at a truckstop for a long time.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 7:31 pm    

So sorry. I always do a reverse google image search. Amazing who often this uncovers scams.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 4:54 am    

Sorry to hear you went through that, at least it was only 100 dollars and not the cost of a steel.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 9:17 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
So sorry. I always do a reverse google image search. Amazing who often this uncovers scams.

How is that done? Sounds like great advice.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 9:19 am    

Sad. It is very hard (risky) to trust people.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 10:16 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Bill McCloskey wrote:

Richard,
There is an icon on the right side of the Google search box. If you hover over it it says "Search by Image". If you click on it it lets you upload an image.
FYI,
Pete

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 6:07 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Bill McCloskey wrote:

Richard,
There is an icon on the right side of the Google search box. If you hover over it it says "Search by Image". If you click on it it lets you upload an image.
FYI,
Pete

I have usually been able to click and drag the image from my desktop into the search box.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 3:11 pm     Fake super pro

Actually what I did was Google show Bud super pro 1981… The original owners ad popped right up one on Reverb and one on eBay had the exact same pictures as the guy that scammed me but with a more logical price, of course… In my attempt to get my hundred dollar deposit back from the scammer, I told him I knew what he was doing, and of course I stopped hearing from him immediately. Also, PayPal would not give me my money back because I sent it friends and family. Now there’s a trick of some of you guys are in aware of if you send somebody money through PayPal friends and family there is no insurance .

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 5:40 pm    

I only do friends and family with folks who have a long history on the forum. I've never been ripped off by a legacy forum member that I can think of.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 5:49 pm     Friends and family

I’ve never been disappointed with any dealings on the forum and as many of you know …I sell a lot of stuff on the forum
(Tabs) but that is a good point don’t use friends and family until you get to know someone.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 9:23 pm    

"Friends and family" is not supposed to be used to purchase goods. I believe PayPal deserves their fees. It's scamming PayPal when people are clearly making a purchase, but they use friends and family.

RC

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 4:14 am    

To add to Rick Campbell's comment:

This is the content of a sticky that moderator, Dave Mudgett, posted at the top of the For Sale section for steel guitars (I hope he doesn't mind);

Quote:
This is from b0b -

Please do not promote PayPal "Friends and Family" on this site. Besides being a bad idea when dealing with people you don't know (no recourse for fraud), it can get the forum's PayPal account in trouble. We were suspended from withdrawal access for 3 weeks recently on a different issue, and promoting "Friends and Family" payments is definitely against their rules.

When I sell here, I build the fee (½ of it) into the price of the item so we "split" the fee. When I buy from someone I don't feel 100% comfortable with, I tell the seller I will pay ½ the fee, since it affords buy/sell protection for us both. If that's not acceptable, I buy elsewhere.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 10:59 am     Friends and family

I learned my lesson on this one.
This guy that ripped me off insisted I send it friends and family. It never occurred to me why? Anyhow, I won’t be doing that again.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 11:30 am    

"Friends and family" is not supposed to be used to purchase goods. I believe PayPal deserves their fees. It's scamming PayPal when people are clearly making a purchase, but they use friends and family."

Not really. They don't transfer the money right away and use it as a short term loan. Basically, playing the float. They make money either way. In fact, I'm sure they prefer F&F because there is no customer service costs involved.