The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Carter owner looking for pull kit
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 1:19 pm    

Whatever it's called, I have it on both of my pro Carters.
I expect it is a good idea. There's 3 bell cranks involved so lots of available adjustment.

The pic Jerry posted is similar mechanism for the knee lever. Only 1 cross shaft on that one.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 1:57 pm    

Thank you BoB looking at that pic I think I have got a bar with that linkage on there
Ill have to look if I can find some photo of the guitar so i can see how they work... the pic Dose is it the P2.. if so is it on string 3 or 6.. I have not seen any pics
Wayne from outwest canada have been very help on the rods
if fact you all have been so helfull with all the info Thank You
All Thanks Paul
I have not touch any of the knee leavers it just P1 P2 P3

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 2:11 pm     P2 pulls

Yes the pic shows P2 pulls. It works as Jerry described. The 3rd string crank is outside the circle at the back. Just 1 rod going directly to the changer on that one.

I just realized how dirty my cross shafts are Whoa!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 3:11 pm    

I wasn't being critical of Wayne's nomenclature. I understood what he meant. Step down, gear down however you describe the mechanism, the function is the same.

I failed to mention that one of mine is indeed a knee lever...one that I'd not seen before....for the LKV remote linkage. I've since changed it over to a more direct system.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 3:49 pm     whatchamacallit

Jerry, No criticism percieved or intended from me. I have no idea what to call it. am still a PSG newb even though it has been over a decade on this journey. I only recently learned about the concept of synchronizing these pulls (on my Starter) thanks to Jon Light. I remember staring at this step/gear/up/over/under/sideways/down arrangement under my pro guitars and pondering what the h...? Now I know.

Without this step arrangement i have a very short and stiff B pedal on my CS.

Merry Christmas.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 3:55 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I wasn't being critical of Wayne's nomenclature. I understood what he meant. Step down, gear down however you describe the mechanism, the function is the same.

I failed to mention that one of mine is indeed a knee lever...one that I'd not seen before....for the LKV remote linkage. I've since changed it over to a more direct system.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Hi what is it for the dropdown.. what dose it do..
what is it purpose and.. ive got 2 string 3 and 6 on the same spindel.. one to change string 3 and 1 to string 6
dose it matter doing it this way or iM i better on with the dropdown thank you Paul and a Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the posts

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 4:58 pm    

Paul Higgins wrote:

The purpose of the gear-down was to give more flexibility in setting up the leverages so that strings 3 and 6 could be raised at a similar rate when stepping on the B-pedal.

Not all Carter guitars were equipped with the extra gear-down crossrod and bellcrank for string 6. See Bob Syke's picture above to see how it works: the regular bellcrank for the 6th string has a very short rod that attaches to another special bellcrank right next to it. That's the gear-down bellcrank, and the pullrod that goes to the changer attaches there. So, in a gear-down setup, a bellcrank pulls another bellcrank.

However, without the gear-down mechanism, you can still get the timing of those two strings pretty close. The same goes for most brands of guitars (most of which don't have that mechanism).

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 5:47 pm    

Bob Sykes wrote:
Jerry, No criticism percieved or intended from me.

Certainly not taken that way. All good.

Good explanation by Tucker on the operation of the system.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 7:48 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:

The purpose of the gear-down was to give more flexibility in setting up the leverages so that strings 3 and 6 could be raised at a similar rate when stepping on the B-pedal.

Not all Carter guitars were equipped with the extra gear-down crossrod and bellcrank for string 6. See Bob Syke's picture above to see how it works: the regular bellcrank for the 6th string has a very short rod that attaches to another special bellcrank right next to it. That's the gear-down bellcrank, and the pullrod that goes to the changer attaches there. So, in a gear-down setup, a bellcrank pulls another bellcrank.

However, without the gear-down mechanism, you can still get the timing of those two strings pretty close. The same goes for most brands of guitars (most of which don't have that mechanism).

That's I good explainton Thank you I now no what is is for and the way it work's

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 9:40 pm    

That gear down on a Carter is a very unique setup. I was in a friends shop 1 day he had a Carter upside down in a cradle. I helped him time 2 or 3 pulls on the guitar. With Three 5 hole bell cranks in the chain of pull. Mathematically and mechanically it gives 5 X 5 = 25 X 5 = 125 combinations of pull on the rods to setup perfect pull timing.

When I worked for Westinghouse we had machines with a simuliar set up that allowed installing filaments with .002 tolerance on the crimp.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 10:37 am    

HI All
I just wanted to say A BIG THANK YOU [i]
to all menders that have been injolved in the fast learning curve..THANK YOU
And it is so expencive to have the parts brought in with the shpping and import tax + vat..
The names are too long to mention I would be hear all day posting the names..You Know who you are
Its hard work trying to alter a steel in the UK everything is in metric and you carn't convert the sizes probely..beacuse they dont make Eg 3/32 = 2.3mm they just dont do them

But not forgeting Out west country[b] Wayne has been so heplfull.. I even had a email + pic's from Albrisco ( Steel Guitars Canada ) ( retied now ) who has showed the the gear down used by Carter

The guitar is starting to take shape pedals that started on the left and then moved to the right 4yrs ago is now on the left AGAIN just waiting for rods
Once they are done Ive got to start learning it again

Again THANk YOU and I wish all a the best fot the new year Take care Paul

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 4:05 pm    

Paul Higgins wrote:
Thank you BoB looking at that pic I think I have got a bar with that linkage on there
Ill have to look if I can find some photo of the guitar so i can see how they work... the pic Dose is it the P2.. if so is it on string 3 or 6.. I have not seen any pics
All Thanks Paul

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 4:21 pm    

Paul Higgins wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:
All Thanks Paul

Hello Bob you post a pic of the gear down on Carter
I have the gear down ...can you explain where the *6 string rod goes..on the pic I can see where the linage going from the pedal going to an other leaver with the dog bone in it..dose the *6 string go in the same leaver
Thank you Paul

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 4:25 pm     Re: carter B pedal pull

Bob Sykes wrote:
Whatever it's called, I have it on both of my pro Carters.
I expect it is a good idea. There's 3 bell cranks involved so lots of available adjustment.

The pic Jerry posted is similar mechanism for the knee lever. Only 1 cross shaft on that one.
Paul Higgins wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:
All Thanks Paul

Hello Bob you post a pic of the gear down on Carter
I have the gear down ...can you explain where the *6 string rod goes..on the pic I can see where the linage going from the pedal going to an other leaver with the dog bone in it..dose the *6 string go in the same leaver
Thank you Paul

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 11:47 am    

Hi Paul, I sent you a PM but looks like i cannot include a pic in it.

The rod going to the changer has its own bellcrank and is in the slot closest to the cross shaft on my D10. It's shown with the green arrow facing left. The yellow arrows are related and their position(s) on the bellcrank will affect this pull.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 3:40 pm    

Bob Sykes wrote:
Hi Paul, I sent you a PM but looks like i cannot include a pic in it.

The rod going to the changer has its own bellcrank and is in the slot closest to the cross shaft on my D10. It's shown with the green arrow facing left. The yellow arrows are related and their position(s) on the bellcrank will affect this pull.

Thank you Bob That pic was wonderfull.the arrow made the differance as I could see the *6 string and where it goes
I have done the gear down now and it seems to be working
I have been useing the brass thingie with the screw that goes in the middle..to hold the rod in place.. I carnt find out what they are called
Thank you for all you help
RdGs Paul

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 6:23 pm     steel guitar parts

barrel