The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Louie Shelton - studio legend
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2023 4:47 am    

Louie is the secret ingredient on so many hit records from the 60s thru the 80s. I interviewed him for my "Guitar Dreams" book. Really nice guy. He sure has a feel for melodic and catchy hooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv9J6-6Fmfc

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2023 8:38 pm    

Louie played my favorite guitar break of all time on Lionel Ritchie's "Hello". IMHO, this is the epitome of taste, and playing a break that fits the song. It's nothing flashy, just great playing. I crank the volume up every time I hear this song.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 7:53 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
Louie played my favorite guitar break of all time on Lionel Ritchie's "Hello". IMHO, this is the epitome of taste, and playing a break that fits the song. It's nothing flashy, just great playing. I crank the volume up every time I hear this song.

Louie could do the “flashy” if he wanted! His guitar playing on the Monkees’ hit record, Valerie, is what got my attention many decades ago. Cool

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 8:59 am    

Yep, he surely could do "flashy", I have all of the solo CD's I could find of his, he could play any style needed. One of the CD's is a Country compilation that he plays on, of course versatility is what makes a great studio musician.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.