The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good free virtual amp software
Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2023 12:44 am    

Hey all - I just wanted to share that I came across a useful and free application - the basic version of Amplitube from IK comes with a fender model that sounds quite good!

I wanted a standalone application to practice steel through my recording rig and not have to hook up an amp and was finding the built in amp simulator in Logic to be unsatisfying and all the other options I found meant paying for tons of things I don't need or want like a hundred amp and pedal emulations etc.

It also runs as a plugin if you need that functionality for recording direct.

Just get the IK installer application from their website and install the basic, free Amplitube - there'll only be a handful of free models in this version but American Tube Clean 1 through the 4x10 cabinet (didn't expect to prefer that one but I did) is a nice, fender-y clean sound that is more than good enough for practicing and if you aren't too "recording savvy" could be better than what you'd get mic-ing an amp.

www.ikmultimedia.com

stewcrookes.com

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2023 6:34 am    

I have played around with some amp plugins. I found that in many cases, the amps load up with a high setting on the gain control, resulting in distortion. If you reduce the gain and compensate by increasing the master and/or volume level, it improves the tone considerably. At least it seems to work for me.
These amp simulators tend to lean toward high gain heavy metal tones. I suppose that is the big market.
My opinion only, of course.