The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paulownia wood
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 7:13 am    

Several months ago, somewhere somebody mentioned PAULOWINA wood which seems to take on for bodies for electric guitars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia
https://musicstrive.com/paulownia-wood-for-guitar/

I looked for places to get a sample for and interestingly, having a trip to Spain on the horizon I was surprised to find a provider less than 50 miles from where I was going. They sell to electric guitar builders around the world.

So, last week I visited them... big old warehouse out on Valencia's County side. NO office... cut trunks pile up outside.

The wood is extremely light, brittle and strong. I was shown that the trunks have a hollow center, about 2/3" diameter. The wood around it, is looooong straight fibers... similar to Bamboo, just so much thicker material.

It does NOT rot! When left to the weather, it turns black, but only on the outside and stays clear just a short sanding below.

Pickup and Guitar builder Bill Lawrence once showed me how to check for the "sound" of wood by knocking on it with the side of the thumb's outmost knuckle. This material resonates "dry" and "brittle".
I got some samples and plan to order enough to assemble 3 bodies of the thickness of a Fender PSG (400-1000) but single neck. I'll report about that in months to come.

https://youtu.be/eRFq6S_tMZs Here I am playing with it.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 7:42 am    

I’ve mentioned Paulownia wood here on the forum.

I built a lap steel with Paulownia wood .
An BMI built a pedal steel with Paulownia wood.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 7:55 am    

I have a cheap chinese T style elec. guitar, body made of paulownia. It's a slab guitar so I can't really say much about it's tone.

The figure is OK but not all that great. I've read where screw holes are easy to strip out if taken out and reinstalled. This due to the brittleness I guess.

Martin Keith

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 2:25 pm    

My pal Jason Kostal built the guitar that President Carter is holding in that photo. Several other acoustic guitar makers built instruments from it also. I have used it semi-hollow guitars for a center block and it worked well.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2023 4:51 am    

Pawlonia wood is also used for constructing Japanese kotos.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2023 6:37 am    

I've built several Peavey 130 Special clone cabinets out of paulownia. Empty weight at 6 # vs 15 # for Peavey cab. Also the same size as Pacer cabs that weigh 20 #s.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2023 9:17 am     for sale

For sale? How much?
widcj@hotmail.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2023 1:21 pm    

John Swain wrote:
…Empty weight at 6 # vs 15 # for Peavey cab.

I’d guess a couple pounds of that weight savings was due to the elimination of the Tolex covering. Cool Just as an observation, I’ve always thought combo amp cabs were made unnecessarily heavy.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2023 7:09 pm    

This is in my backyard, I planted it maybe 17 years ago. Not even close can I get my arms around it. Grows so fast, water sprouts can reach 12' in a year. Kids had a swing on it but I'm not crazy about the tree. I wonder if the size is big enough to make instruments from. Interesting facts regarding Pres. Carter and it.

Similar to what Chris Brooks says, I know Chinese use it to make soundboards of Pipa and Guzheng & more, probably like we use spruce and cedar. I wouldn't think it would be good for a PSG, so I am interested in what J D Sauser comes up with!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2023 7:45 am    

Just some random comments/thoughts.......

A company called Guitar Mill was the first I ever heard of this wood.
There was a review of one of their T-styles in Guitar Player magazine several years ago.
It got a big thumbs up.
Since it was a luthier/boutique build it was $$$$$.
I believe that they sell the bodies separately.

The Fender Brad Paisley Tele is Paulownia.
I played one briefly at a jam session a few months ago.
Big mistake. Now I'm on the hunt for one. ;>))
It was LIGHT.
They also make a BP Esquire, one pickup, BUT it is routed for a neck pickup if you decide to add one later.

On Youtube, Tim Pierce did a video/review of an S-style Paulownia a while back.
I recall that he liked it.
I don't remember the builder, but I think that they were in So Cal.
You're on your own.

Awww, what the heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TggUdkOy2FM&ab_channel=TimPierceGuitar

A "parts" guitar company here in So Cal sells bodies made of Paulownia.
They seem to be rather inexpensive.
They even come painted. (Now if they'd just offer a Buck Owens Red White/Silver Blue for a reasonable price.)
Disclaimer: I have no experience with them. I keep meaning to pay them a visit one of these days.

https://aeguitars.com/collections/t-style-paulownia-guitar-bodies

The end.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2023 10:22 am    

I’ve wondered about using black locust for a solid body. It’s cheap, light, but very strong and brittle. Might be just the ticket if you’re looking for “ light but bright” response.

Black locust also glows bright yellow-green under black light. It’s the most phosphorescent of the hardwoods. It’s also rot, mildew, and insect proof. And if you plant a black locust near a pond, there will be no life in the water - no bugs, no birds, no fish, and no frogs! (The blossoms and seed pods are poisonous.)

I know first hand about that. Alien

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2023 4:04 pm    

Here's a cabinet I made for my friend guitarist Bob Strickland. He mounted his Bandit
chassis in it.