The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Raising 6 from G# to B on E9…
Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 8:37 am    

I’m considering adding a zero pedal change, raising 6 from G# to B and 7 from F# to G#. This, combined with the A pedal would give me a very playable interpretation of Don Helms’ E6 tuning. Would this be too crazy of a pull, if I use a .020 plain for my sixth string? I know a .020 plain from A to B is common on C6, but I’m wanting a 1.5 step raise and I just wonder if that’s too extreme and sudden a change for that string.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 9:14 am    

You'd have to inquire of him about the string gauge, but Mr. Paul Franklin used this middle G# to B change for a few years. I'm guessing he used the .020 as listed in his other copedent charts but guess it is.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 9:30 am    

I have that change on all my guitars. It works with a .022" plain on my MSA Legend. Its works with a .026" wound on my Sierra and Excel guitars tuned to D13.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 11:55 am    

I have that change on my Franklin E9th vertical lever .. 020 plain string - works a treat !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2023 10:43 pm    

Quote:
I’m considering adding a zero pedal change, raising 6 from G# to B and 7 from F# to G#

That two string pull would be a useful change.. A cool way to maintain the 3rd and 5th in the E6/E13 voicing as you describe. If you had it on a lever, you'd be able to still do the Helms tuning stuff, but another use would be with pedals down A6, where it would effectively be what pedal 7 is to C6, raising the 6th and root up a whole tone...

4E
5C#
6A - > B
7F# - > G#
8E

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2023 7:42 pm    

I did that on my JCH SD10 on a vertical to get E6/E13. It worked great. I'm thinking about putting that on my Russler SD10 .

Tony

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 4:08 pm    

Tony, was it comfortable to press the A pedal and keep that vertical engaged for an entire song? My idea would be to use this combo to play entire songs at a time… Given the other changes I’d have on my copedent, vertical is looking like a likely location for this change.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 7:39 am    

Chris,

I recently purchased a “Show-Pro” which came with the G# to B change on the Vertical. I was going to consider changing that pull to a B to Bb. However with the A and B pedal down with the vertical it makes better change for me.

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 11:09 am    

Chris, I don't think ever used it for a entire song but you should be able to adjust the vertical where it would be comfortable to use for a whole song. I'm raising my 6th to B and I'm going to add the 7th pull. It's been several years since I had that change.

Tony

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2023 12:50 pm    

Chris, I added the 7th string raise to my vertical with the 6th string raise to B. For me using that and A pedal for a whole would be very tiring. It was ok when I was a lot younger. The zero pedal would be the best way to go.

Tony

Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2023 7:56 pm    

My first steel (a dreaded red-stained Maverick) had that G#-B pull on the B pedal, along with G#-A on string 3. I learned the basics with that on there, until I eventually realized it was wrong & it took me forever to get used to pulling both G#'s to A. I tried valiantly to get the Mav to do it but it would always slip back to B. I traded it off for a Squire P-Bass (a substantial gain) and then years later I was on a gig where I had heard the opening band had a steel I could use so I didn't bring mine - much to my surprise it was that old dog, and sure enough it was still pulling 6 up to B! I still miss it sometimes. . .

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 9:22 am    

Paul Brainard wrote:
My first steel (a dreaded red-stained Maverick) had that G#-B pull on the B pedal, along with G#-A on string 3. ... .

Both my Mavericks were setup for Emmons E9 without a knee lever.:

Leftmost Pedal (Pedal A) Raises String 10 B to C#, String 5 B to C# (full step).

Center Pedal (Pedal B) Raises String 6 G# to A, String 3 G# to A (1/2 step). Never had an issue with them pulling string 6 G# to B. Strange.

Rightmost Pedal (Pedal C) Raises String 5 B to C#, String 4 E to F# (full step).

I did have tuning problems but that is another issue.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8