The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TransTube Fex Question
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 10:24 am    

There is a base line level of overdrive present in any of the presets on my TransTube Fex. No matter what I do, there is a little "hair" on any and all of the sounds. This includes the settings with the "TB" or without the "TB" in the first effect position.

I have set the global settings so there is no Pre-gain or Post-gain overdrive, clipping or distortion.

The overdrive is a little more pronounced as the TransTube Fex warms up.

A really clean sound is eluding me. Does anybody have any experience with something like this?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2023 3:10 am    

Its been 20 years since I had a TTFex, but what I remember it is a combo preamp/effects unit designed to be used with a power amp and thus have a line level output. If running the TTFes into the instrument input on a guitar amp it can distort. If this is the case, lower the output level and see if it helps.

Also may be problem with unit. Its 25+ years old and could very well have a component failure.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2023 3:28 pm    

Jack, you are correct. The TTFex IS a combo preamp/effects unit with a line level output. It also has XLR Mic level outputs.

You had a good thought there. I ran the line level output to a line level input on my DI and the distortion / OD was still there. I tried the XLR Mic level outs to the Mic Level inputs, as well; same thing.

The unit works well in every other respect. I hope I can get the Distortion / OD situation corrected.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 4:06 am    

The XLR's are not mic level. They are balanced -10DBV level. About the same level as the unbalanced 1/4" jack outputs.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 6:33 am    

OK Jack. Thanks for that. I will circle back and get my head around that.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 5:34 am     Ground loop

The Tubefex and Transtubefex both have grounded AC power cord. That can often create low level ground loop hum. Try a ground lift plug If that helps then a Hum-x is a safe solution to solve that

As Jack said it can also overdrive the input of a guitar amp if not adjusted properly

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 12:47 pm    

Thanks Ken!

I think you mentioned that somehow there are two paths to ground in those units. I am using a ground lift plug and it helps with the hum in a big way. Thanks for the suggestion on the Hum-X.

Yes, I followed Jack's suggestion about lowering the output level. Basically, the OD / Distortion stays at a constant level when taking the output down almost to the point of 0 volume.

Thanks for your follow up, Ken.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 2:35 pm     Compressor

Also the compressor in these units are terrible. They add what is called “rocks in the tail “. A distortion as the signal dies off