The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Concert Harp Player
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2023 3:51 pm    

I had occasion to visit an assisted living facility today, and while having a sandwich there, a lady brought in a harp.

It is such a beautiful instrument and has a wonderful tone. She is also a very well educated and proficient player.

I watched her tune it. Diatonic scale in octaves. She did use the pedals but at my position I wasn't able to tell exactly how they were used.

I've seen them in shows and things, of course, but this was my first live look at a professional one. It has a beautiful tone and I enjoyed it very much. She played mostly ballads and standards from what appeared to be fake books that the diners seemed to appreciate greatly.

She said it was OK to take a photo....it's with a flip phone so not very good. Just thought some of you might indulge me while I blabbered about it.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 12:09 am    

It has seven pedals, one for each note of the scale. They can be set flat, natural or sharp to put the harp in any key.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 7:28 am    

I only saw two pedals, one by her left foot and one by her right. As I said, my view was somewhat obstructed and aside from taking the photo, I didn't want to disturb her otherwise while she was performing. I wanted to discuss the instrument, techniques, etc. but I had to leave before she was free to talk.

I was also surprised by the volume of this instrument.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 3:34 pm    

They go D C B on the left foot and E F G A on the right. It's acceptable to use the left foot on the E if you have to.