The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th 1st string - ?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 1:21 pm    

I know this is crazy, but every so-often, I feel like having the G on top. Not permanently - that D opens up so much - but when I hear something that was clearly done with the old ten-string tuning it tempts me.

IS there a gauge that might be capable of sounding halfway decent when tuned to either note?

I'm looking for a lazy solution! Smile

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 2:39 pm    

12 Gauge plain works pretty good but you probably won't have the G# note unless you leave the pull rod loose until you want the G note and loosen it when you have the D. Hope that made sense. I just do without the G# note. I can always put the rod back when I want to.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 4:10 pm    

Yeah back when I played C6 Neck( two week notice neck...ha)
, just like George said I used the 12 also it went very nicely between the high G and down to a D no problems, matter of fact I think I did them both on this song 23 years ago LIVE in London>>>>
https://youtu.be/tcVeooHXId8?si=1U_6JQ996Zki5GFe
Ricky

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 4:56 pm    

Thanks, guys.

I have never played that neck without a D on top. After seeing you mentioning the 'G#', I looked up some older setups.

It seems that it was standard to raise the 1st to G# on P5.

Why? It has no place in the 2/9th chord that is the main use of p5.

It's actually a flat-5th.

How might it have been used?

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 7:05 pm    

Roger I play very little if any C6th but with a G# note on one an E on two and a B with knee lowered on three that would give you a major chord although I never thought of that till now. You would to ask someone that plays standard C6th.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 7:40 pm    

If you have a 3rd string half tone raise on a knee lever (C—>C#), you can get the same voicing as strings 1,2,3 & 4 (i.e. A-C-E-G) by moving up 3 frets with your 5th pedal & the knee lever engaged on strings 2,3,4 & 5)

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 2:34 am    

Tony

I have that raise and wouldn't sacrifice the D string for anything. Getting the high G three frets up is in my DNA.

There are two pieces in particular that seem to me require the G string: Mike Smith's splendid Jesus Loves Me and Russ Hicks' (Barefoot Jerry) Two Mile Pike.

Mike's tune is not too much of a problem with a D at 1, but Russ' tune depends open pull-offs and open strings.

(I cab almost find '..Pike' in D using the current tuning but it's not quite right. )

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 6:49 am    

When the G-G# change appears on P5, I don't think it is intended to be used with the other P5 changes - for instance, P5,6&7 will give a diminished chord on strings 1-4.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 7:13 am    

Herby Wallace had G for his first string.
I have a couple of his C6th courses. Very Happy
Erv

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 8:18 am    

Doug Jernigan re-tunes his first string D up to G to play his solo Streets Of Laredo.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 8:25 am    

I watched Jernigan tune between D and G in a few seconds while playing an Emmons Legrande at Seymour's store. He used the .012 gage string for it. I do use the C to C# change a bit to get the G note three frets up. Some of the Emmons black album tunes and much of Pete Drake's C6 tunes require the high G string.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 8:57 am    

I have often wondered if a Hipshot tuning peg or some variation of it that is used to drop the E string on 6 string guitars would work. It would be great if you could simply flip the lever to change the note at the tuner.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 10:02 am    

Nice, Ricky!

What was the venue in London?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 1:38 pm    

Quote:
What was the venue in London?

Roger that was the Border Line in London>
Here's the whole album>
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n7Q1NJoQ8-EA_gV0nEdGixnCCSztVBsvU&si=Czs7vNzrkviivCvf
Ricky

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 2:28 pm    

One solution, however requiring a complete re-working of the undercarriage, would be to omit the traditional 10th string and move the entire tuning one string to the left.

This would make the tuning an Fmaj6/9 chord, low to high being: F A C E G A C E G D, with string 1 being the re-entrant note (similar to the F# on the E9 tuning).

I've considered this in the past but felt I was too into the modern tuning (D on s.1) to change over. Of course I have 5 knee levers on that tuning, so the C-C# change is de rigeur.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 2:37 pm    

Ah, The Borderline - that's where I played with the Big E! I'll listen to that at my next dialysis treatment; it'll make the time fly by. Smile

Herb: You have a point and, with 12 strings, you can have it all. I love Rick Schmidt's D-12 set-up. He has the equivalent chromatic strings on C6th, mirroring those on E9.

I have to say that, at this point, the 10th string is my least-used on the back neck. Would I miss it? I'd dread the upheaval of changing all those pulls, though.

I just want to tinker occasionally with that high G so I doubt I'd make such a radical change at my age (said the man who's awaiting delivery of a new SD12 D13th!!!)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 3:39 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:

Herb: You have a point and, with 12 strings, you can have it all. I love Rick Schmidt's D-12 set-up. He has the equivalent chromatic strings on C6th, mirroring those on E9.

I have to say that, at this point, the 10th string is my least-used on the back neck. Would I miss it? I'd dread the upheaval of changing all those pulls, though.

I just want to tinker occasionally with that high G so I doubt I'd make such a radical change at my age (said the man who's awaiting delivery of a new SD12.. !!!)

I briefly borrowed an S-12 and tuned it thusly:

D F A C E G A C E G B D

without any pedal changes and in non-pedal mode, of which I am familiar anyway. I believe this is the tuning Reece used on his non-pedal S12 (the guitar I borrowed had E9Uni pedals and I don't mess with the pedals on guitars I don't own.)

I never pulled the trigger on that or any S-12, so far; I really didn't give the tuning a fair trial because I was gigging enough and I didn't want to commit to learning a new sight picture on the neck. But the chord possiblities are endless, even with no pedals.

Anyway, here and now I'm getting rid of stuff, not acquiring more, so I doubt I'll be living in S-12Land anytime soon. In the winter of my career, I'm just gonna pick my way into the Texas sunset on the ol' C6 with a D on top. Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 4:14 pm    

My 12 string Excel with changeover lever had all the strings in C6 Mode:

F
D
G
E
C
A
G
E
C
A

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

and a low E and B on E9th to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 1:13 am    

The re-entrant pair of strings is a great idea, just like on E9. I shall live out my days in Uniland, but at least I have the equivalent of a high G. In B6 mode it goes

B E G# B D# F# G# B D# G# C# F#

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 5:41 am    

Herb:

If I wasn't prevented from taking show contracts by my dialysis schedule, I wouldn't dream of even monkeying around with pedal/KL changes on my standard Emmons D10, much less attempting this new D13th concept at 80 years old.

I'm more than a bit compulsive and, when I first looked at D13 (JC's), I jumped in an ordered a guitar! I've altered things a bit to accommodate my musical priorities but it's along his lines.

What I should have done was say to myself: 'That's clever - if I was starting now, that's what I'd have' and left it at that.

It's about to arrive! In my last 4.5 years of unemployed/medical retirement, I've probably done too much tinkering. Right now, I'm following Doug Jernigan's videos and pondering some of his extra pulls.

I'm viewing the new Williams D13th rather like a top-of-the-line Erector Set (Meccano in England) - I'll open the box and, metaphorically speaking, build a three-inch long wheelbarrow rather than the large-scale Queensborough Bridge of which it's capable.

Joking aside, I'm sure I'll enjoy it - at the very least, the thought of a P7 option on a 9th tuning (D9, of course; the left half of my new guitar) has always appealed to me. Jumping to 1 and 2 doesn't quite cut it.

I still wonder if I'd have done better to get a D12 but that ship has sailed.

Having said that, I have recently had a call to do a (fairly) local run of a show next Spring! My first instinct was to decline but I soon realized that I wanted to do it. I miss playing with others. I miss it all.

It may be six months away, but I bet I still take my Emmons D10. Smile

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 5:48 am    

Quote:

Yeah back when I played C6 Neck( two week notice neck...ha)

I'm so bad on C6, I get asked to pack up and leave immediately when I touch that neck.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 5:53 pm    

FWIW, Maurice once opined here there was no way he could do without the high 5th note, or words to that effect. Obviously other greats feel differently.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2023 6:59 pm    

I don't play a lot of straight C6 but that G to G# change on pedal 5 has intrigued me for a while. I've incorporated the equivalent into some different tuning set ups.

Its a beautifully useful #11...

C6 wise, at fret 11 w/ P5 its C#9(#11) which is a really nice G7, 5 chord sub. It resolves to C6 up one fret.

The Major7#11 use is great too...
P5 w/ Cs raised to C#.....Think "Moon River" on the 4 chord....'WIDER THAN A MILE' ....(maj7 #11)

Also great for a kind of 'F lever' effect playing 3rds with the E string....

I would think having both the G and D would be the ultimate. Hmm Bb6?

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 4:10 am    

Roger Herby Wallace and I had this conversation and he told me to use a 15 gauge string on the first string and as usual he was right. I could tune up or down from a D to G and back with the 15.

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 4:46 am    

Roger Herby Wallace and I had this conversation and he told me to use a 15 gauge string on the first string and as usual he was right. I could tune up or down from a D to G and back with the 15.