The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Other amps for pedal steel on budget
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 12:30 pm    

Hello all I am needing some wisdom as I am getting back into steel playing. I have already acured the most expensive piece of equipment which is the steel.
I'm on a limited budget and what I am wanting costs more than my budget will allow. What is another inexpensive Amp I can use to get back to playing until I can save and get what I want.

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 12:53 pm    

Gosh...aren't old Peaveys a dime a dozen nowadays?
Is a Fender Tonemaster in the budget? I haven't seen that line of amps mentioned much yet for steel...but they do seem to be creeping into the choices...not to mention the steel players that donated their spine back in their more youthful days, looking now for an easier "load in/load out" choice

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 1:19 pm    

You can usually pick up a Nashville 112 for around $350.00 or a NV 400 for $275.00 to $400.00. Both of these would serve you well.

Good luck in your search
Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 1:34 pm    

Thanks for the input as bad as I hate to admit it my budget is pretty tight. As much as I want another NV 400 my budget at the moment won't even allow me that. Bear in mind I'm not playing any gigs I'm playing at home to work my chops back that I had so I'm just looking for something inexpensive that i can use until I can acure funds for another NV 400. The fender tone master on Ebay goes for no less than 800 bucks so a big no on that one. Thanks for the input fellows I appreciate it

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 2:04 pm    

You can purchase a very low cost computer, audio interface and there is an endless supply of free audio software with effects like reverb, chorus and on and on.
With a fairly simple learning curve, that will then offer aspects of band tracks, recording yourself, slowing down tracks...
Plus...you can then use headphones for "quiet" practicing or of course whatever speakers.
Along those lines, there are "practice" amps tha plug directly into your instrument for headphone practicing.
A quick Google gives you a zillion choices such as this, probably all import...but gives you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Guitar-TGA-1E-Electric-Headphone/dp/B01N8PJZJM/ref=asc_df_B01N8PJZJM/

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 3:05 pm    

Get one of those new Line 6 Catalyst amps. It will do you just fine for now, and if you want to upgrade your sound later, you can throw a Sesh 400 in front of it to make it sound more like a Peavey. They are light, and they have an iPhone app to control the effects.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 5:10 pm    

Look for an old Peavey Pacer. They built a gazillion of 'em, and sometimes you can pick 'em up for a pittance. Still not cheap enough? Look for an entry level small student bass amp, and go without reverb until you can find a cheap pedal. Pedal steel is not for the faint of heart, or the light of wallet. Ya' gits wha'cha pays for.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 8:41 pm    

New Fender Champion 20 has digital reverb/delay w/tap tempo sounds pretty good for practice at home $129 I use the blackface voice model. Headphone jack and aux in too. A lot of features for pretty cheap

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 8:41 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Look for an old Peavey Pacer. They built a gazillion of 'em, and sometimes you can pick 'em up for a pittance. Still not cheap enough? Look for an entry level small student bass amp, and go without reverb until you can find a cheap pedal. Pedal steel is not for the faint of heart, or the light of wallet. Ya' gits wha'cha pays for.
I understand what your saying. I've had the best Amp and setup but life had happened and I don't have the funds I was accustomed to back in the day. That's one question I never asked was about amps because I bought 2 NV 400's and a profexII and never looked back. But like I said life happened had to sell all my gear. Not being condescending but just stating a fact.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 8:57 pm    

Scout around for a small bass practice amp that has a headphone output and a cd input. Pawn shop or yard sale. You can likely pick one up for $30.00. Buy one of the cheap mini reverb pedals.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2023 9:16 pm    

Another vote for the Peavey Pacer. I picked up one for 35.00 and it even had a Mod reverb tank in it. It is dead quiet, so it makes a good studio amp and is plenty loud for miced situations. Another one that is loud and sounds good is the Peavey Backstage Plus. It is 35 watts and I got one for 60.00. Some of the Crate amps sound good with steel. I had one I paid 50.00 for and it had onboard effects, including a very usable reverb. The bargains are out there, you just have to look.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 4:00 am    

How about the Boss Katana 100?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 5:01 am    

Just for home practice I think any of these would work. The Quilter has amazing power and tone quality. You just need a cabinet or you can use headphones. I used that tiny Microcube on a recording project and it was great. They have effects built in, too.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 6:13 am    

Yup, some late 70s to mid-80s Peaveys like the Pacer, Backstage/Backstage-Plus, and the Studio Pro/Pro-40/Pro-50. Or if you can find one reasonable, Bandit/Bandit-65 or the Special/Special-130. The Specials have the added attraction of a sweepable mid control. All are, to my tastes, good for guitar + steel use at a volume appropriate for that size amp.

People have been discovering the Bandit/Special series of late. But I still occasionally see them in the $100-200 range. My Studio Pro 40/50 were $35 and $45 respectively, just in the last few years. These amps are solid as a rock and easily repaired, unlike so many of the modern do-everything amps built with surface-mount components that turn them into bricks if anything goes wrong. The stock speakers in the lower-end ones are OK by me for steel for lower volume situations. I'm not nuts about the stock Scorpion speaker for steel, but it's fantastic for a Tele, it quacks like a duck. I subbed a more standard-sounding speaker in my Bandit 65, and it really worked well for steel.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 5:08 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Yup, some late 70s to mid-80s Peaveys like the Pacer, Backstage/Backstage-Plus, and the Studio Pro/Pro-40/Pro-50. Or if you can find one reasonable, Bandit/Bandit-65 or the Special/Special-130. The Specials have the added attraction of a sweepable mid control. All are, to my tastes, good for guitar + steel use at a volume appropriate for that size amp.

People have been discovering the Bandit/Special series of late. But I still occasionally see them in the $100-200 range. My Studio Pro 40/50 were $35 and $45 respectively, just in the last few years. These amps are solid as a rock and easily repaired, unlike so many of the modern do-everything amps built with surface-mount components that turn them into bricks if anything goes wrong. The stock speakers in the lower-end ones are OK by me for steel for lower volume situations. I'm not nuts about the stock Scorpion speaker for steel, but it's fantastic for a Tele, it quacks like a duck. I subbed a more standard-sounding speaker in my Bandit 65, and it really worked well for steel.
Hey Dave it's funny you mentioned a backstage plus my brother picked one up for me today at a garage sale still works and paid 10 dollars for it

Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 6:19 pm     steel amps for budget.

Im using two bandits a teal stripe and a grey stripe, loaded with JBL D130s. Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 7:14 am    

There's Peavey Nashville 400 for sale on the Forum as we speak for $200.
That would be my pick. Very Happy
Erv

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 8:36 am    

I've always been a fan of the corner, angle cabinets. Amazing projection.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 9:27 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
There's Peavey Nashville 400 for sale on the Forum as we speak for $200.
That would be my pick. Very Happy
Erv
Erv I'm aware of it and I'm a fan of the NV 400 however when I say I'm on a limited budget $200 is not in the budget. I'm on disability with very minimal income

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 3:40 pm    

Peavey Special 130 might work.
You'll find more than a few favorable post.
130 watts into 8 ohm scorpion.
It has a shiftable mid.
Not as heavy as an NV400.
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro