The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP. Dr Bob Strum
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 5:18 am    

Got word last night that our long time friend and fellow still guitarist, Bob Strum, passed away on Thursday. Bob took a nasty fall a couple of years ago and just never recovered.

Bob was a regular performer at the South Carolina and Georgia steel guitar shows.

Praying for his wife Carol and for friends and family.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 7:10 am    

R.I.P.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 4:54 pm     Bob

He will be missed by so many. A true southern gentleman and great musician. I feel honored to have been his friend

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 5:07 pm    

Bob was a great guy. I always enjoyed his company at the steel shows. R.I.P. Doc.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2023 1:13 am    

Oh no, that really hurts. When Herb Remington toured Austria in 1995 to play several concerts, he brought a surprise guest with him, that was Bob. A great musician and fine gentleman. We immediately became friends and it was always a pleasure to be around him. I knew that he wasn't doing well in the last years, but the news are still sad.

RIP, Bob...and Thanks for your friendship!

My prayers and condolences to Carol and the family.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 6:26 am    

Prayers for the Strum Family. I have is "Strum The Gospel Steel Guitar CD, " that I purchased many years ago. I always enjoyed that CD. RIP Dr. Strum

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 7:22 am    

Prayers are sent to Bob an family

P.w

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 8:07 pm    

Bob was a kind man who made us all
Smile! He loved his steel guitar buddies, and often provided
dental Services to those who could not afford it!
He and Carol were lovebirds who lit up the room when they walked in.
Bob Strum was also a Godly man, who touch so many lives. He will be missed!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 2:47 am     Bob

Condolences for him, family and all his friends.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 7:23 am     Bob Strum

I first met Bob Strum at the S.C. Steel Guitar Convention in Saluda about 20 years ago. He was a true Christian gentleman who played a style of his own on a pedal steel, and he was so good at what he did. His sound was unique and everyone loved it! I have not seen Bob in several years and I didn't know where he had gone. But now I know where he has gone, and I plan to see him again. Until then, Rest In Peace, Bob. Maybe there'll be a steel guitar section in that Heavenly band! Love and Prayers for the family.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Last edited by Tony Edwards on 1 Sep 2023 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2023 9:59 pm    

Bob Strum was a great friend to me all those years I played at the Southern Steel Guitar Convention when it was in Saluda, SC. I remember one particular show where he was playing his set, and it included one of my favorite hymns, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness", played on his black Pedalmaster pedal steel guitar, and it sounded amazing! Bob will be missed by friends, family, and steel guitarists who knew him. RIP Bob. We'll miss you, buddy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 8:11 am    

RIP Bob, I found these photos of Bob in Norwalk at the 2007 PSGA show.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Gregg Thacker

Pasadena, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 11:39 pm     Bob Strum

May Bobs soul and the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon them 🙏🏻 🎚️...

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 3:30 pm     My amazing husband, Dr. Bob Strum

My first time posting on "The Forum"! Thank you for your kind words about my dear "Dr. Bob", or "Doc", as many of you called him. Both Bob and I have special memories of our times at the steel shows. How he LOVED "pickin'& grinnin' with you.

On Aug 13, 2021, Bob took a fall to the concrete floor while at Lowe's and suffered a traumatic brain injury from which he never recovered. I had him at home just 4 weeks of the last two years. We thought he may recover, but the injury was just too severe. This last year was spent at Anniston Health and Rehab just 5 minutes from our home. He was totally bedridden, but he loved listening to his music. Joe Turner brought him a CD player with headphones and that brought a smile as he tried to mouth the words. In fact, Joe and Wendell Gurley entertained the residents and how they loved it! The staff were marvelous, took great care of him, and they soon began calling him "Papa" and I was "Mama!"

On August 13 of this year I was on my way to see him when I suffered a stroke. However, God must have allowed it because I was also sent to Anniston Health and Rehab, and was able to be with him 24/7. On Aug 24, when he was nearing the end, I was holding him, and found one of his favorite songs on my phone, Janet Pascal's "Another Soldier's Coming Home". I'd been told hearing was one of the last to go, so I put it to his ear, and as she sang the words, "Strike up the band, assemble the choir, another soldier's coming home..." he blinked his eyes, and smiled. It wasn't but a few minutes that the angels took him "home!" A memory that is God's gift to me!
Her song was played at his Memorial last Saturday. (The Memorial may still be on U tube at "Parker Memorial TV" and it should be listed there.) For sure, look up her song, and we also played "Great Day" at Bob's request
(Gaither Vocal Band, with Ernie Haas and Signature Sound) He wanted us to look forward to that "Great Day" when Jesus takes us all in the rapture!!

I am recovering at home with the only complication being loss of vision in my left eye! And God gets the praise and glory for sure!

To Donna Dodd, Walter Stettner and so many others, I hold all the memories close to my heart. Thanks for the friendship and music over these many years (31 since Bob and I married)!! Come visit if you ever get to Anniston, Alabama!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 6:55 pm    

What a sweet story about you loving husband. God bless you and Bob. My prayers for your recovery and I'm sure Bob is in good hands with the angel band.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2023 1:33 pm    

What year was "Strum The Gospel" recorded? I can't seem to get an answer from anyone I've contacted.
PRR

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 5:34 pm    

Does anyone out there know what year Dr Bob cut "Strum The Gospel"?
PRR

Johnny Roberts

Anderson, SC, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 6:21 pm    

According to baptistcourier.com, "Strum The Gospel" was recorded in 2001.
Hope this helps.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 6:50 pm    

Thanks for the info.
PRR

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 9:26 am     RIP Bob Strum

I first saw Bob at the Saluda SC Steel Show, when I first started playing, or attempted to play pedal steel about 11+ years ago. He was truly a gentleman.

When I took over the SC show and brought it to Columbia, I heard that his health prevented him from coming to play at our shows. He has and will be missed.

His soul is in a blessed place as he plays his golden steel.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.