The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How did you decide?
C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2023 11:42 am    

I know there is a lot of subjectivity to this question, but I'm curious about personal experience.

How did you decide on the steel you play now? Price? Availability? Influence of your favorite player? What was your reasoning?

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2023 11:52 am    

It was a tough choice between no psg or the BMI in the attic I bought.
Another guitar player kept telling me he knew someone that had a psg and I should buy it because it's simple to play. Shows you how gullabel I am, I believed him.
I had considered it for some time but kept getting turned off because of the price of one and lack of local availability. Finally said I would look at the one he knew of and ended up getting it for $500. NO REGRETS now that I am able to play a song or two but do not see this 85 yr old playing gigs with it.

Sam

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2023 12:23 pm    

I want with Mullen for several reasons. First, because Del is in-state, and before he went out to Siebert, was local, so there were more of his guitars in the area.Second, the first steeler I ever played with was a very young Mullen player named Alan Franks, who was absolutely brilliant and got me motivated to learn steel. Had Alan not died at 18 in 1982 under suspicious circumstances, I'm certain he'd be a well known SGF'er today. The third serendipitous event was a Mullen S-10 3X3 coming up for sale at a quite reasonable price in 1984. I snapped it up because my MSA D-10 was pulling a lot more than its own weight. Played the S-10 continuously for 20+ years until I upgraded to a brand-new Royal Precision U-12. Still have both Mullens, and they're friends til the end. Winking

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2023 3:07 pm    

I have a GFI I play, U.S. Army property. But I wanted to buy a PSG for myself, something different, but not having played any other brand.

Maybe two years ago I went to Billy Coopers and tried several used steels he had. A Mullen (PRP?) was the only one that really stood out in terms of tone and pedals were really smooth.

I went to the Jamboree March before last, and the Mullen room was about the only room that really let play a couple things as long as I pleased. Also nice guys with Excel and Emmons ReSound but that wasn't really what I was looking for.

That, plus all the good word about Mullen guitars here on the forum is why I had them make me one.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2023 4:28 pm    

Kind of like Samuel's experience.

Not many psg players, here where I live. Because of that, any psg for sale is far and few between. So, having an account there, I turned to Ebay. A number of Carter Starters were up for sale, and I tried to bid on them, but were always outbid.

In that frustration, a Dekley came up. It was all that was available at the time. I bid on it and won, as no one else bid on it, and glad it turned out that way........

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 6:26 am    

Lloyd Green is my idol. When I could buy a guitar that was built for him and owned by him, and Lloyd telling me to get it, that's why I play this guitar.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 7:15 am    

I grew up playing music with a guy that always played Emmons bolt on push pull guitars. I have owned several steels and they just never lived up to what I wanted or sounded as good to me as the bolt on's i grew up listening to. I got the opportunity to trade for a push pull bolt and have never looked back.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 8:05 am    

I bought a brand new Williams 700 two years ago. It was built to my specifications (based on company designs) for a price I could afford.

I read through many pages of reviews and opinions here on the Forum, and also spoke at length with a trusted friend on the matter. The conclusion I drew from all that is that most current builders are doing very good work and you pretty much can’t go wrong buying a new instrument. So it came down to (guess…) appearance and price.

Bill Rudolph was a prince to work with and I am very happy with this gorgeous pedal steel guitar he and his son Tim have produced. It is a work of art and engineering genius, and plays as sweet as it sounds. Did I mention? It looks really cooool😎

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 8:35 am    

I have owned and played a number of guitars and there is no single reason that covers them all.

My first two were S10 ShoBuds that got me through a couple decades of gigs and recordings.
REASON #1 All I Could Find and/or Afford.

My first D10 and first forum purchase was because a western artist I had long worked with released an album full of C6 lines that couldn't be properly replicated on the E9 neck.
REASON #2 Need Stageworthy Double Neck Guitar.

After playing the Emmons for a while I am strung out on both necks so I traded my 3+2 Pro I to Bob Muller for a Pro III body and a box of dirty gritty parts, which I built into a very nice 8+6 guitar, giving one for home and one to go, which facilitated more practice time.
REASON #3 Because I Could, and also, well, ShoBud 😎

THEN I found a decent 8+5 Zum that I could afford here on the forum and it played so nicely that the Emmons and Pro III were both staying home
REASON #4 Zumsteel, Ask the Person Who Plays One.

I found a couple of beautiful lacquer Emmons guitars on the forum, but they needed work so one went to Tommy Cass and another to Lynn Stafford for complete rebuilds. Both turned out to be exceptional instruments, a bit more work to play than the Zum but way better looking and oh there's that sound again!
REASON #5 World Class Push-Pull Guitars, Nothing Like 'Em

SO now it's 2023 and after a surprise rainstorm proved the "tents" covering an outdoor stage to be mere sunscreens the lacquer guitars don't go out as much. I'm mostly gigging with a Fessenden D10 that I purchased from a forum member and upgraded to 8+7, also improving the mechanics. It has Truetone pickups that flat out sing and in a recent onstage shoot-out with the Zum the Fessy came out the clear winner, both in my opinion and that of various band mates.
REASON #6 Everything I Desire and in Purple.

So there's my rather protracted answer to your very simple question, my point being that differing needs and opportunities lead to different choices at different times, also that the Steel Guitar Forum is a fabulous resource for finding and exchanging instruments and knowledge, and it was not always thus.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 11:37 am    

I decided to get a Fessenden single neck i because I worked on Robert Randolph's two Fessenden guitars, in 2002, when I was his guitar tech, and liked their sound and mechanics.
I think I got mine in 2017 (?), just before Jerry moved to Indiana.

Last edited by Chris Templeton on 3 Aug 2023 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 11:49 am    

My first few guitars were ZBs. There was a UK dealer who imported them and, at the point when the PSG bug bit me (early-'70s), ZBs were all that were available.

Eventually, and I feel foolish saying this now Sad , I tired of the ZB's cranky mechanics and somewhat dated appearance. I wanted something that had a name that resonated with me. A used Pro-111 Sho-Bud came up for sale and I jumped at it. I'd heard of Sho-Buds!!!! However, it became a liability very quickly due to the constant failure of the pot-metal KL stops; like a 1980s Jaguar, it was in the shop more often than it was 'on the road'.

Anticipating my move to the USA in 1998, I ordered a new LG111 SD-10; dealing with Jim Aycoth and the Emmons Co was a pleasure. Two years later, he made me a black D-10 that I still play today.

Now I'm venturing into 12-string D13th territory. I needed at least 3-up/3-down in the changer, so only a handful of builders met my needs. MSA, Rittenberry, Mullen and Williams. I'm delighted to have chosen the latter; Bill Rudolph seems to be one of life's gentlemen. I shouldn't speak too soon - the guitar is all-but finished but I don't yet have it! Dealing with Bill, though, has restored my faith in human nature.

PS: I've had many other guitars for brief periods (Zum Encore, pro Zum, Mullen, MCI, Fessenden and more) but I didn't connect with them. My principal 'eras' are defined by my ZBs, that cursed Sho-Bud, and now, Emmons LeGrandes.

I'll add Williams to the list - in anticipation. Smile

PPS: An amendment - I loved my Zum Encore; I sold it when I was clearing house three years ago. I also wish fervently that I'd held on to the new Zum Bruce made for me in 2003; I didn't give it long enough. I should have kept both those steels.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 12:36 pm    

C. Eric Banister wrote:

How did you decide on the steel you play now? Price? Availability? Influence of your favorite player? What was your reasoning?

I didn't decide but I'll have to say availability since my friends that I jam with decided we needed it after I had sold out of pedal steel.

I was trying to quit actually tired of hassling with all the bulk and weight and was playing some dobro, guitar and lap steel at the jams. I was honestly pretty happy doing that.

Then one day they show up at my house with this D10 Carter and said "here, take this and play it like it was yours, gigs, jams or whatever" and I didn't have the heart to say No Thanks.

I'm still flabbergasted by their generosity, confidence in and satisfaction with my performances to the point they would do this. So grateful for and fortunate to have such great friends.

I don't own it, it belongs to these guys...I just play it when we get together.

My choice of guitars is Mullen...influence from the great Tommy White playing them on the old TNN network. That's why I bought the first one.

I've owned 3 or 4 of them and I'd love to have another one before they punch my ticket. Fact is, it's economically out of my means to purchase one and so I'm pretty thankful to have this Carter available to tinker with.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 12:48 pm    

I was lucky enough to attend the ISGC in St. Louis on a regular basis. Most of the builders were there, so it was a great opportunity to see and play the guitars. The Dallas show provides a similar opportunity. Nothing beats getting to test drive in order to make an educated decision.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 12:56 pm    

I haven't had as many as some of you, but when I ordered my first Pro lll in 77, it was on a recommendation and some personal experience with another Pro lll that I'd had, and a Maverick.

Then when I bought my first Mullen, sight unseen, it was because I'd always heard good things and liked the looks. The 2nd Mullen, was because I liked the 1st Mullen and because 2 friends of mine (Jim Lindsey & Mickey Adams) had owned it first and I respected their opinions.

The 1st MSA I bought was because I'd played my buddy Scott's Studio Pro and was blown away at how good it sounded AND the nicest feel to that point I'd ever felt in a guitar. This is after 45 years of never thinking I'd want or have an MSA, boy was I wrong. Hearing Mitchell Smithey, David Wright, Joan Cox and Junior and Johnny Cox in the MSA room in Dallas and then playing Scotts Studio Pro, I wasn't just sold, I became a "true believer" Winking and after that first Red n Black 2016 Legend, I've now had 3 and over the moon in love with my 2021 10x10 Jolly Rancher.

THEN, I saw that Wayne Dahl's Rittenberry Prestige Prototype was for sale, and jumped on it. This guitar sounded incredible, and I liked it so much, I decided I needed Gary Rittenberry to custom make a 9x9 (The Concord, 2021) just for me before he retired. So I called him up and ordered it. This may be the best sounding guitar I've put my hands on.

Anyhow, that's not how I set out to buy the guitars I've had, its just how it turned out.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 2:36 pm    

With apologies to the OP, Eric, who asked 'What influenced your decision?'

The ZBs? No choice in England. The Sho-Bud? Because it was a 'big name' in my head, anyway. And Emmons? That's because the majority of significant players seemed to be playing Emmons - Hughey, Tommy, Weldon and many many more.

I figured there had to be something to it.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2023 3:41 pm    

So far over the last year I've owned a Sho-bud Pro 3 D10, two different Williams 12 strings, a Williams D12, and I have a Williams D10 on order which should arrive within a month fingers crossed.

I got the first one, (a Williams 12 string E9 ext, but with the parts to convert it back to a U12, its original configuration), in a trade for a Beard MA 8 string dobro. I just wanted to try one before I shuffled off this mortal coil.

I liked it but I got a bit confused by the extra strings and eventually I traded it for a Williams SD10 4x5. Which I still have and love.

Williams being my only experience, I wanted to try vintage. I got the Sho-bud. No lie: the best sounding steel of all the ones I've owned. John Widgren set it up for me, and eventually I even got split cases.

I placed an order for a Williams D10 a year ago when I just got my first one. Criteria was easy: I liked the Williams I had, Bill Rudolph was friendly and now a year later I should have it soon.

Next one was a Williams D12, ext E9 and ext C6 I bought from a forum member. At this point, I had really decided to focus on Paul Franklin's copedent so I had Williams do the changes on the SD10 and the D12 already had E's lowered on the right and the franklin pedal so that left the sho-bud the only steel with E's on the left and no franklin pedal.

So as to focus on muscle memory, the sho-bud sat in the case and recently I traded it for a Williams 12 with the D13 tuning.

My suggestion, based on my experience: go with brand that is still in operation and can do repairs and adjustments to your steel. Vintage is a crap shoot especially if you don't have a tech near by and even though they sound amazing (still the best sounding steel I've owned) they can have mechanical issues. And they can be heavy as hell. Go with Mullin, Williams, GFI, either used or new. You'll have a company who can handle any issues that come up and the mechanics will have the latest technology.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2023 9:31 am    

I started with an MSA Semi-Classic, great guitar, only one lever. Bought a Cougar, 4 knees, not bad, then a BMI. I liked the BMI but it had a lot of wear on the under carriage. A man came into my shop with a ZUM to get it tuned and ready to play. I saw how well built it was, how easily it played, how it sounded and I was sold. I called Bruce, ordered a new one and waited. I have owned and played it since November, 2003, hundreds of gigs, and it still looks great and plays well.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2023 1:30 pm    

For me it wasn't actually a decision but rather I evolved .

For years I played Carter D10's I loved them. but in between the three I had owned I was buying a few and selling a few other brands. I've had many Sho Buds, loved them as well. Even had an Emmons D10 SKH, nice Steel, but I never played it back then.

But then one day a fella here in NC was selling his D10 Emmons Legrand II, I reached out and he gave me a price I couldn't refuse . A day or two later we met and I purchased the Steel. I sold my 2004 Carter D10 shortly later. THEN I responded to an add here on the forum about a D10 Emmons Push Pull. Another good deal and I bought it.

2017 or so, I now only owned two Steels, the PP and the L II. I was playing 4 or 5 gigs a month at the time so owning two was not an issue. One was set up in the music room, the other stayed in the case ready for weekend travel.

Enter Covid 2020 , all the gigs went away. I sold the Push Pull and kept the L II, which is the only Steel I own. I believe I evolved to the Emmons Steels of which much of it had to do with price and the moment. No regrets. The Carters I had were fine, the 4 or 5 Sho Buds I had were fine, I just ended up with Emmons !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2023 10:45 am    

Having literally no knowledge of pedal steels, I bought by first one in 1974. It was a Sho-Bud Maverick with 3+1. To me it's was the cats meow. So much to learn by myself. After finding more knowledgeable players and wanting to play more advanced chords, I searched for a more suitable steel. I played Sho-Buds and Emmons and finally a ZB, which, I fell in love with. However, I met a man who was selling new Rus-Ler steels. They sounded like ZB's but, had more modern pulling systems. With the help of Winnie Winston with my copedent, I ordered a new Rus-Ler S-11with 5+4. I played that steel for over 27 years with absolutely no problems. Tons of hours, tons of gigs and sessions and never a let down!
Forward to 2003. I finally bought another new steel. A U-12 ZumSteel. I have had that steel for 20 years and again, never a hitch. I've played many a gig and sessions with it and it still is my best. Bruce built some wonderful, beautiful, reliable steels.
Getting back to the Original question... I bought the Zum because of how they sound and how they play. And, I'm extremely happy with it.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2023 2:04 pm    

I used to decide on how a guitar sounded or tone but at 78 now, I play the lightest D-10 I could find which still has tone and that happens to be this Magnum I’ve got. The guitar doesn’t Sacrifice any tone or sustain for weight. Guitar sounds and plays great and is very light for a D-10. Weighs about same as some Single 10’s I’m thinking. I still have the 74 Rosewood D-10 Emmons but it is at a sit down job, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2023 2:57 pm    

There are four guitars that I play regularly these days - a late 70's MSA "The Universal" which used to belong to Maurice Anderson, a 1974 Emmons push/pull (originally built for Russ Hicks), an Excel S12, and, a new acquisition, an Excel D10/12.

The first guitar I bought was a Sho-Bud Maverick ('nuff said?). Then I bought a used ZB D10, the one with the old car fins, which I really liked. After a short time, I wanted more pedals and knee levers, so I bought a brand new MSA D10 Classic - really loved that guitar. I eventually traded it to Herb Remington for an almost-new MSA Vintage XL.

In the early 2000's I wanted to add low string onto the C neck which by then (country gigs dried up) I was playing almost exclusively, so I bought the MSA 12 string off of eBay from a music store in Denver. I had always wanted a black Emmons, so I bought that for my country gigs and online recording. People have told me never to sell that guitar, but if I do sell it, let them have first dibs.

A couple years ago, I bought an Excel S12 for touring and flying. I'm madly in love with the sound I get from my old MSA and Emmons, but these guitars are light, and they are incredibly well-designed. Playing a pedal steel with an aluminum body is an interesting experience, and it's a continuing challenge to learn it. It gets a beautiful sound.

This brings us up to this year. Four days ago an Excel D10/12 arrived from Japan. That also has a learning curve (like any new instrument), but lots of promise. I wanted to be able to play my C6/9 tuning and also the E9th. Mechanically, this guitar is a dream (Mitsuo Fuji is an engineering genius), but, like most guitars I have bought, I had to find the right pickup. My experience is that the "right, though not necessarily "the best", pickup makes a huge difference. Also, there are some guitars that no matter what pickup you use, won't give you the sound you want.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 6 Aug 2023 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2023 9:39 am    

It’s the Indian not the arrow 😂
Just joking there’s a good saddle for everyone.!

But the best pedal steel most of us has ever owned know belongs too someone else.
You know the steel that haunts your memory every time you set down too your side kick MSA or Maverick.!

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2023 10:56 am    

When I was deciding on a new PSG back in 2018 I made a list of all active builders then started researching and comparing. Went with Mullen because:

1) Not a single person boutique shop, but an actual manufacturing operation. I wanted a builder who had a long history and would likely be around for many years.
2) Easy to get replacement/upgrade parts.
3) Highly recommended by the forum as a PSG that stays in tune.
4) Reasonable wait time.
5) Reasonable price.

What I also got that I didn't expect...

1) Very easy to work on whether it's changing the copedent, adding a vertical knee, swapping out the pickup or adding a Mullen half stop mechanism.
2) Capable of an extremely light touch on pedals & knees.
3) So stable I literally can go several weeks without needing to retune.

My G2 SD12 is the last pedal steel I'll ever buy Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2023 3:13 pm    

In my case, my choice was just serendipity. There aren't any music shops around here that sell steels. Only a few come up for sale locally, and that's pretty much word of mouth. Back in the mid 80's I was playing a borrowed Sho-Bud when I heard of an S-10 MSA up for sale. The price was right, so I bought it and still have it. Recently, a friend was selling a SD-10 Derby. I tried it, liked the tone, and bought it.
Tom McDonough

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2023 10:22 pm    

I had a set of MSA Classics, White with Black trim. A S-10 and D10. Have sold both guitars.

Went lighter to a GFI S12 U. Bought a keyed Ultra 7/3 off of a friend. Was gigging it every week needed a backup steel. A S12 Keyless Ultra came up for sale in Ohio.

I bought it, It was set up Emmons Extended E9th. It set around here till I got time to change it to Day Jeff Newman Universal.

The GFI Ultra Keyless guitar seem to have sustain to spare.
It is now my go to, Play guitar.
The GFI Ultra Keyed now sits around as my backup.