The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  A Tribute to a Craftsman
Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 11:39 pm    

Some time ago I bought a D-10 just to have something to tinker with, thinking to do a restoration. The guitar does not have a "brand" name but the name Bowman is on the fret board. I assume that the guitar was built by the great steel player, Bobby Bowman. After cleaning and tuning it up I played it a few hours. Well, the tone was good and the pedals and levers worked as they should, but that isn't why I am writing. The construction of the guitar is outstanding. In my 70+ years of playing the different steel's I have owned, I have never seen one that (IMO) was built with such loving care as this guitar

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 4:27 am    

When a craftsman builds a project you just can't hide it. I'll bet it's a beauty!

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 8:19 am     Craftsmanship

Yes, Joe, you are absolutely right. I did not know Mr. Bowman, but from what I can gather, and from what some have said on the forum, he was a master of the pedal steel guitar. After having spent several good hours with the one have, I believe he earned the right to be call "Doctor"

Only one problem, it is too heavy for this 93 year old to carry very far. However, it does have legs so maybe I can teach it to walk.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 8:42 am    

Good idea! I owned an old Sho Bud double neck that needed to learn how to walk! Too heavy for this old guy .

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 11:08 am    

It is a joy to work on something that was built by a craftsman. There is no improvements you can make, Just replace worn or broken parts, Make an adjustment or two and it is back original.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 2:40 pm     Craftsman

Bobby, you sure hit the nail on the head - It's beginning to get boring when all have to do is polish, polish and more polish. I love it.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 6:08 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
It is a joy to work on something that was built by a craftsman.

That statement makes me think of my Zum. I've never seen a Bowman steel but would sure like to. Mr. Sam, Would you happen to have some photos that you could show us?

Mitch

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 4:29 am     Pictures

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 9:12 pm     Bowman guitar.

Well, I've played the guitar for a few weeks and I can say for sure that I have never played a better one. Someday soon I hope to shake Mr. Bowman's hand and thank him. There just might be some room in the Glory Bound train baggage car that I can take it with me

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 7:18 pm     Info for guitar history

I'm trying to build a history about this Bowman steel guitar. I would appreciate any information that my forum friends can provide, i.e. when was it built, is there a picture somewhere of Mr Bowman playing it, are the parts unique only to this guitar or were they from some other manufacturer. There is so much I don't know but would like to find out all I can. My sincere thanks to each of you.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 2:39 pm    

Bobby passed away a few years ago.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 5:56 pm    

Fine looking guitar and your seal of approval only makes it all the more special. I'm impressed that you still love and restore these great guitars.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 7:28 pm     Thanks

Larry and Mike, please accept my sincere thanks for responding. Larry, my love for the steel guitar is only a little less than my Lord and my bride of 70 years. Mike, I " have your CD "Heart of Steel" along with the trac. Such great music. I have almost worn the trac out playing with it

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 7:04 am     Bowman

I got to know Bobby fairly well in that I live in Houston attending the Southwest Texas Steel Guitar jams and Bobby was a fixture there. And, during the time Herb Remington was "building" the Remington steels, Bobby was a key fixture in the production, mostly assembly. Herb had a guy who made the cabinets, another who cast and made the metal parts, pedals, end plates, rods and such. I once ordered a SD10 from Herb and it never got built because the metal guy got cancer and died. That ended the production and I got a refund on my deposit, all be it in installments. The design work was by Herb and Bobby.
I think Bobby went on to build his own guitars using some of the same parts from Remington. If you compare the pedals on the Bowman, they are the same as a Remington. From my observation, the quality was great.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 6:44 am     Hey There

Sam, I posted a video of Bobby Bowman playing his PP Emmons at our Southeast TX Steel Guitar Club jam. Check it out.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 11:56 pm     Thanks

Thanks for the video and the info. The "history" is coming along but pretty slow. The guitar is coming along just fine. Bobby made provision for 9 floor pedals and I was able to fabricate and install the 9th. Working on adding three more knees. Bobby left open cross rods for them. I saw the halo lights on the MSA and thought that this fine Bowman special deserves some lights so I put some on it. Bobby was a great craftsman and it makes it hard on me to maintain that level of perfection. I'm trying.

Last edited by Sam Lewis on 30 Jan 2024 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2024 3:35 am    

Btw, I have a Sierra double-neck engraved with his name on the underside. I suppose he was on tour with somebody over here, and he sold it before he went home.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2024 6:25 am     Bobby

Sam, I did learn that Bobby's surname is Smith and he got the name Bowman from playing with Bob Wills, where Wills would point his violin bow at Bobby for a solo. The name stuck.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2024 1:38 pm     Thanks

Thank you, Jim, it seems like in the back of my mind I had heard that bit about Bob Wills from another source long ago. Perhaps some of Bobby's family can chime in and add to it.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 12:39 pm     Re: Bobby

Jim Saunders wrote:
Sam, I did learn that Bobby's surname is Smith and he got the name Bowman from playing with Bob Wills, where Wills would point his violin bow at Bobby for a solo. The name stuck.

Sorry, Jim, but you are incorrect. Bobby's actual family name is Jones. He was given the pseudonym Bowman by Herb Remington, who told him "you sound like Billy Bowman."

Staying with Bobby and Toni was my Houston area home for decades, since he was my closest friend. And my house was his home when he was in the Austin area. It's been almost 11 years since his passing and I still miss him every day. After he died, I lost all interest in working on steels.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 2:21 pm     Bobby

Thanks Herb. I had it close; Smith, Jones,? The Bowman name came from the deep recesses of my memory, but I was thinking it was Bobby who told me about Bob Wills pointing his bow at him?

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 9:37 pm     Thanks

Thank you, guys for helping me keep things straight. Herb, my heart goes out to you for I too, know the pain of losing a dear friend and brother musician about the same time frame. I still miss our visits. I'll be 94 next birthday and there have been lots of them

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2024 4:43 am    

IIRC, Bobby informed me that many of the undercarriage parts were made by Houston area machinist Al Winters.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 3:28 am     Finished

There comes a point in time when it's time to hang it up. I'm there. I've done about all I needed to do for the Bowman guitar so it's time to find a new home for it, I installed #9 floor pedal, another vertical knee lever and Aura lights so it's going to the For Sale. Thanks to everyone who helped me with info about Bobby and his guitars. He was a master craftsman and I stand by my earlier statement that I believe it is one of the best guitars I have played in 70+ years of steel guitar.

Please close this thread.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 9:03 am     Please Close This Post

Close 'er up.