The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Rob Parker
Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 8:18 am    

Remembering our ole friend, Mr Rob Parker. A fella that had a voice the size of Texas!!! Miss you Rob.

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 9:21 pm    

Jeff, thanks for remembering Rob. He was a great guy and a good friend to the steel community. We had some great conversations over the years. You have a picture of us sitting and chewing the 'fat'!

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 5:55 am    

Yes Ben I do! I’ll see if I can locate that picture! Hope your doing well!

Jeff

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 6:48 am    

Rob was the voice of the Convention in St Louis. Putting his touch on many of the players sets. Always a pleasure to hear Rob at so many of the shows. He is sorely missed.

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 7:03 am    

Rob doing a set with the great Herby Wallace Very Happy

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 11:36 am     Rob

Thanks for the post. Rob was a great friend. He was a big influence on my getting advice on playing the steel guitar. He also got Jean and I aquatinted with so many great people.
We have lost so many great players. They are so missed.

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 3:35 pm    

I believe this is the pic Ben

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 8:28 pm    

It is Jeff, thanks. I have a copy of it somewhere but I only find it, when I'm looking for something else. So many of our friends have left us, I hate to think of who may be next. I came close but my doctors, hopefully, caught everything in time.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2023 5:42 am    

Always a pleasure working with Rob, great guy.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 4:20 pm    

Everyone loved Rob! He often graced the stages of our GaSGA shows both playing and singing! He was quite the gentleman! Some of us gals would compliment him on looking dapper in his Western wear! 😎 He always blushed!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 8:17 pm    

Rob Parker became the M.C. for my Annual Steel Guitar Shows starting in 2007.

I hosted my very first Steel Guitar Show in 2006. Rob was there the first year as a guest artist. After that he hosted all my Steel Guitar Shows from 2007 through 2010.

Rob Parker, DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Ray Qualls and a few others really encouraged, helped me, and their advice, friendship were absolutely essential. I probably would have thrown in the towel years ago if not for them.

Since 2006 thus far, I have hosted 20 Annual Steel Guitar Shows, this year 2023 will be our 21st Steel Guitar Show since 2006.

You might say well the math don't add up. Yes it does because 5 years we had a regular Steel Guitar Show and a Gospel Steel Guitar Show and at different times during those years.

We have had many Steel Guitarists perform on these Steel Shows. Here's a partial list just of the Steel Guitarists alone that have performed on these Steel Shows.

Rob Parker, Don Helms, Terry Bethel, Herby Wallace, Dave Musgrave, DeWitt Scotty Scott, Gene Fields, Doug Jernigan, Mike "Cookie" Jones, Russ Hicks, Zane King, Keith Hilton, Mike McGee, Curt Shoemaker, Jerry Roller, J.D. Walters, Rudy Osborne, Russ Wever, Steve Melchi, Larry Baker, Jimmy Burrell, Dan Burnham, Jerry Smythe, Phil Coontz, Virgil Watts, JoAnn Kreder, Janice Zilm, Austin Stewart, Tyler Hall, Dennis Detweiler, Jerry Horne, Jeremiah Hanley, Gordon Dotson, Jimmy Dreadfulwater, Jack Musgrave, Eddie Lane, Lonnie Detmer, Bob Tuttle, Jerry Foster, Larry Gerdeman, Jimmie Sentlinger, Cliff Waterman, Bill Dobkins, Ray Qualls, Hank Ruf, Scotty Henderson, Gene Crain, Larry Garrett, Monty Lafoon, Jacob King, Terry Wood and more.

Rob Parker was a Great Guy, Singer, MC and a sold out Steel Guitar Man all the way. I sure miss him! I miss a lot of these Steel Guitarists that are now gone.

RIP Rob Parker, Scotty and others! Love You Guys!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 12:52 am    

Rob was not only a great talent but a pleasure to be around. I didn't really know him all that well, he was more of a Steel Show friend. I recall I attended a show one time years back , Rob was talking with a few others and then he came to me , "Tony how you doin" ! I didn't even realize he knew me . That was Rob.

RIP my friend.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 5:22 pm    

Thanks for the reminder to remember this wonderful man and dear friend!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 5:44 am    

Rob Parker was not only a great friend to me, but he was the steel guitarists best friend all around the country.
You could not stump him with a song and he would even sing it in any key you wanted.

I remember one year at the Gulfport show, Rob was the emcee and every steeler he introduced, he would say "and now my favorite steel guitarist - ******).

I asked him how everyone could be his favorite and his reply was "That is the truth. Every person that plays or attempts to play this instrument, in my favorite".

We were close friends for some 30+ years.

When he was anywhere near Atlanta, he would always come and stay with Linda and I.

Miss you Rob
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 7:04 pm     Rob and his cd

Rob recorded a cd and as I can recall he sang a few bars of each song and let various steel players shine. I cannot find that cd anywhere. Any thoughts or ideas where I can obtain one?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 6:16 am    

Actually David, if I remember correctly, Rob recorded a Cassette Tape with a different steel player on each song.

I don't think Rob ever had those put on CD, but I could be wrong.

He pretty much either sold or gave them away at steel shows and to my knowledge never sold them through any media outlet.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 8:55 am     rob parker

Worked a steel show with Rob Parker a few years ago. What an amazing fellow. He said something I will always remember him by. A fellow asked him about a country singer's wealth, and Rob replied, "He's got enough money to burn a wet mule on a windy day". I got out my pen a pad and wrote that down. You don't want to forget something like that. Rob's voice could rattle windows if he wanted. What a talent.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2023 11:37 am    

I recall Rob always leading us in the "Star Spangled Banner" at Scotty's in St. Louis.

Jeffery Self

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2023 8:08 am    

I always thought Rob did the best version of “My window faces the South”, what an outstanding voice he was gifted with.

Randy Weideman

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 11:06 am     Rob Parker Video

Rob Parker Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtX4lLOOmJ8

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:08 pm    

I remember Rob very fondly from our times at the steel shows together. I also recall making a bad faux pas with him one time when I told him that he reminded me of my Grandpa. D'oh! He stared at me, not believing I would say such a thing to him. But to me, I was projecting myself back to when my Grandpa was alive and I was much younger and my Grandpa would have been about the same age as Rob was at the time. It was actually meant as a compliment (they were both very handsome) but he didn't take it that way and it was too convoluted a story to try to unwind and explain on the spot. I always felt kinda badly about that episode. I hope he forgave me.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:10 pm    

I remember Rob very fondly from our times at the steel shows together. I also recall making a bad faux pas with him one time when I told him that he reminded me of my Grandpa. D'oh! He stared at me, not believing I would say such a thing to him. But to me, I was projecting myself back to when my Grandpa was alive and I was a young kid in middle school and my Grandpa would have been about the same age as Rob was at the time. It was actually meant as a compliment (they were both very handsome) but he didn't take it that way and it was too convoluted a story to try to unwind and explain on the spot. I always felt kinda badly about that episode. I hope he forgave me.