The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:46 am    

Bob’s contribution to the steel guitar community by starting and maintaining this forum is immeasurable. Condolences to his family and the people that loved him.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:49 am    

My sincerest condolences to the Lee family.

b0b had all the attributes of a great leader: passionate, objective, willing to indulge the inmates, a belief in the mission and a sense of humor. He could be firm, he could be cranky, he could be funny, he could be generous. He created and curated this magnificent meeting place where everyone from novice to studio pro can freely share opinions, knowledge, stories, gear, etc. - all for the greater good of its membership. He guided the ship with a firm but relaxed hand.

Rest easy, b0b - you left a big mark.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:50 am    

I've started almost every morning since 1997 with a look at the Steel Guitar Forum. Bob created a platform that united musicians around the world, created lifelong friendships and shared knowledge, ensuring the future of steel guitar. What a legacy!

The Forum altered my life's trajectory and I am deeply grateful. RIP b0b, and thank you for everything your labor of love has brought to my life and to others all over the globe. Thank you and farewell.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 9 Mar 2023 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:52 am    

Thanks for all you've done bOb!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:52 am    

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:53 am     Bobby

Words fail me too. 🥲 Steadfast courage, Lee Family.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:54 am    

Crying or Very sad

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:56 am    

I am so very, very sorry to receive this news. B0b's forum completely changed everything we know about this instrument.

Over the past 20+ years, we've been able to converse with masters of this instrument (including Buddy Emmons, Paul Franklin, Herby Wallace, Lloyd Green). We've been able to learn an infinite amount about tunings, mechanics, repairs, building techniques, playing techniques, amp settings, gear, tablature.....the list goes on and on and on. As a newbie in 2000, I had access to 100x more information than someone starting on the instrument just 10 years earlier - all thanks to b0b.

He did so much for us, selflessly, and I can only say "thank you, b0b - and rest in peace."

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:56 am    

Tragic news for our little corner of the world. b0b was an irreplaceable treasure. Heartfelt condolences to his family, for whom his passing must be doubly tragic.

John Herb

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:57 am    

I didn't want this news to be true unfortunately it is. He will be greatly missed for sure.

Ben Edmonds

Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:59 am    

Wow. I was just thinking this morning how glad I am
That he put this thing together. Been part of my life 20 years. RIP b0b

Markus Mayerhofer

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:59 am    

This is devastating news. Since the beginning of my journey on this instrument 10 years ago, your work has been a never-ending source of knowledge and help. Many, many thanks for your immense work, keeping up this site. Rest in peace!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:04 pm    

b0b can be proud of the community he helped to create. Rest well ol’ friend.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:10 pm    

I would like to express my sympathy to the family. I could not be more sorry to hear of the loss of this fine man.

It is not an exaggeration to say that Bobby Lee did more to promote the steel guitar than anyone else ever has, or is likely to do in the future.

Rest well sir, thank you for a job very well done.
"Teach Your Children Well"

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:14 pm    

Thanks for everything Bob Rest in peace my friend.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:15 pm    

Phew..can't imagine this community without Bob leading it all. My sympathies to his family.An amazing man. I need time to process this..

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:21 pm    

Deepest condolences to the family and his close friends here!
What a beautiful thing he's done here, and it's wonderful that the family will keep it going. Thank you!

I got into steel guitar in the early 2000s and the one question that always comes when meeting a new steeler is "are you on the forum?"

B0B RIP

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:21 pm    

Like everyone else, I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news - I never got the opportunity to meet b0b, but got a sense of his character through interactions on this forum.

He will definitely be missed!

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:27 pm    

Shocked!!
Thankful in so many ways and on many levels! Condolences to all who were closest to him.
The connection he gave us to each other is immeasurable!

Rip mate!!

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:29 pm    

Shocked!!
Thankful in so many ways and on many levels! Condolences to all who were closest to him.
The connection he gave us to each other is immeasurable!

Rip mate!!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:31 pm    

Bobby was the first steel player I met when I moved to Sonoma County in 1991, and I remember it well. People kept telling me, "oh, you play steel? You gotta meet Bobby Lee." I had only been playing 5 years. I heard he was playing at our local small town fair and ran up to him and introduced myself and said I play some steel and a little bit of banjo.....he didn't even crack a smile, extended both arms and crossed his index fingers at me while turning his head and looking away...LOL...he obviously didn't like the banjo, as most of us know. We made about two minutes of steel guitar small talk and I think I was mad at him for the next two years because I was such a sensitive little twerp. LOL!

I remember driving out to Occidental to listen to him play at the Union Hotel with his trio few decades ago and hearing a great version of Steelin' The Blues, with him singing.

I can't say we were really super tight friends but like a lot of us we are bonded by default from the steel guitar, and besides, both of us being one out of three steel players in the area means we both usually had gigs on weekends. We would occasionally sub for each other, and sometimes if one of us quit a band the other would get the call. I did get to play guitar with him on a few gigs, and had some good times at some steel guitar gatherings. I went to his house and recorded a song while demoing Tom Bradshaw's reissue Webb amps.

I was privileged to see him a few weeks ago. He invited me up to pick through his vinyl. In return I gave him a CD player since his just broke. I tried to get him to talk about the old days when he hitch-hiked from Pittsburg to San Francisco and ended up in the Haight Ashbury district smack dab in the middle of The Summer Of Love in 1967! LOL! But we quickly moved on to talking a little bit about steel guitars, but he really lit up over his favorite TV series, Dr Who. He went on for a good long time about that. The morphine and CBD were starting to kick in and he was fading, so he sent me to the garage to pick out some vinyl.

On my way out we chatted a little bit more. He was very proud of his achievements with the forum, and he also acknowledged that the forum couldn't have been possible without the members and the awesome steel guitar community. I thanked him for the forum, I read it everyday. I gave him a fist bump and that's the last memory I have of Bob Lee. I am grateful to have known him and feel like I found out a little too late what a kind, sharing and soulful cat he really was.

RIP Bob! Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 8 Mar 2023 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:35 pm    

What a great guy. I joined the Forum soon after it was brought on line. The Forum idea was a great means to bring us all together to share friendship, knowledge and ideas from the top pro's like Buddy Emmons to those just starting to learn the instrument. B0b's Forum idea has been a great asset to us all. May his legacy continue with the Steel Guitar Forum.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:42 pm    

He did sooooo much for the steel guitar. He needs to be in the HOF

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:45 pm    

My deepest condolences to Jean, Lori, Shoshanah, and all his family.

This is absolutely crushing news. b0b has done more for steel guitar than can be written in thousands of words, so I won't try. He has been a mentor for me and thousands of others. Not just about steel guitar but about life.

RIP b0b, and Thank You for everything you have done. There is no way for us to repay except to help continue this great forum in the selfless tradition that you have followed for the last 25+ years.

William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 12:47 pm    

So sad to hear. Sincere condolences to all the family. We hope you can gain some peace in knowing how much he was loved and respected by so many.