The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedabro Effect pedal 2023
Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 4:32 am    

Hi guys, in the meantime, have any of you found out if there is a joining system using pedals, or a single pedal that can simulate the sound of a PEDABRO? The temptation is always to have an original pedabro on the stage for live performances, but you know that most of the time it doesn't have the space to do it, so you only have your PSG, I hope for your help for those who have found that perfect pedabro sound for PSG. Best regards Francesco Smile Smile

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 5:48 am    

MSA is having good luck with a piezo bridge pickup and the Fishman JD Nashville pedal. I think it could work ok(acceptable but not perfect) with a regular steel pickup with extra EQ, especially if it has a coil tap or a humbucker where you could get an out-of-phase sound, like a George L 10-5, or using two pickups. I heard Buddy Emmons get a good dobro sound from the Goodrich Matchbro using the C6 neck. But…it was Buddy, not a normal human!
Examples-
https://youtu.be/WlXkLaCx0mM
https://youtu.be/qlR2QDE8iG8
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 5:58 am    

For many years, I (and many others) have been using a 7 band EQ. Right now I have been using a Danelectro Fish & Chips and have used a Boss GE7 in the past. Set the sliders starting with the left most all the way down, the next all the way up, and keep doing this pattern all the way across. Does it sound exactly like a real dobo or pedabro, no but dobro players that have heard me use them say it sounds acceptable. It sur beats having to set up a Pedabro or mic a real dobro for anywhere from 0 to 3 songs I might need a dobro sound on a 4 hour gig.

Now, I have found that 6 band and 10 band EQs don't work out well. I have a nice Source Audio programmable 7 band EQ that I can't get the sound I want. It has to do with the center frequencies of the sliders on the EQ.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 5:58 am    

Tom Bradshaw’s reso effect does a good job, and the tone bar is also good for rock,!

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 6:25 am    

I second Tom Bradshaw's Reso pedal. Sounds very close to Pedabro.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 7:34 am    

The Goodrich MatchBro is the "Gold Standard" for a Dobro simulator. I've fooled Bluegrass pickers with it.
I've tried others including a Graphic EQ that doesn't sound close to the Matchbro, and the Bradshaw unit an acceptable substitute for the Matchbro, but once you have a MatchBro nothing else will do.

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 2:28 pm    

With all of the modeling and impulse response technology currently being employed, is there anything that could “profile” a dobro sound? I read once that Mike Johnson profiled his push-pull and uses that sound on his LeGrande when touring.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 2:35 pm    

That is what the Fishman JD does. It contains images. You could make your own with a Kemper, a ToneDexter or other things like that. Seems like that could work.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 2:40 pm    

I have seen the Aura pedal, but only used with a dobro to get those images. I wonder if it would give you anything useful with a magnetic pickup on a pedal or lapsteel?

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 2:20 am    

I guess this is a Matchbro or similar device in use (Buddy playing behind George Strait). Sounds quite convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGM4unnhog

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 5:43 am    

I've had several of the dobro/pedabro simulators for the steel guitar and the best I've tried so far is the T-Bro on the Telonics TCA 500 amp.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 7:40 am     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

TRAP TRULY wrote:
I've had several of the dobro/pedabro simulators for the steel guitar and the best I've tried so far is the T-Bro on the Telonics TCA 500 amp.

Hello Trap I see that the T-Bro is nothing more than a slide bar, I'm looking for an effect pedal to simulate the sound of the pedabro, but apparently there is nothing other than the usual ones that I personally don't like because the sound it's too plasticky not real.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 7:41 am     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

TRAP TRULY wrote:

Hello Trap I see that the T-Bro is nothing more than a slide bar, I'm looking for an effect pedal to simulate the sound of the pedabro, but apparently there is nothing other than the usual ones that I personally don't like because the sound it's too plasticky not real.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 9:38 am    

Not sure what you mean by slide bar? It's a switch that alters the EQ and it does sound great. I have the TCA 500 with a 15 inch speaker. 500 watts. Super clean.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 11:09 am    

The key when using any Dobro simulator is to "think" Dobro and play Dobro licks. IF not nothing will sound convincing.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 12:44 pm     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

Jack Stoner wrote:
The key when using any Dobro simulator is to "think" Dobro and play Dobro licks. IF not nothing will sound convincing.

Hi Jack yes obviously I've been playing the dobro for years and I know very well how I should play the PSG with a possible simulator, I have the Jerry Douglas Aura Fishman pedal but I'm still not convinced of the sound I want, but I know very well that never you can have it on the PSG. Unfortunately buying a Pedabro today costs extra madness you never have the space on the stage to be able to put PSG and Pedabro, I hope I can find another pedal perhaps to match my Aura JD perhaps with two pedals trying to find the right blend of adjustments I could get close to the sound of the Pedabro. Regards Frank

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 1:01 pm     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

Larry Dering wrote:
Not sure what you mean by slide bar? It's a switch that alters the EQ and it does sound great. I have the TCA 500 with a 15 inch speaker. 500 watts. Super clean.

Hi Larry of course I know what a T-Bro is but I'm looking for an innovative pedal that can simulate the sound of the pedabro, the ones on the market so far I don't like the sound. I use a Fishman Aura
model Jerry Douglas, and I tried with the steel bar and the T-Bro but the sound is still not as I want it, I'm sure it will be very difficult to find what I want. Francesco

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 2:10 pm    

I agree with you. None are perfect. Food for thought, have you tried a wooden bar? It really dulls the tone to more closely approximates a banjo like tone.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 2:22 pm     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

Larry Dering wrote:
I agree with you. None are perfect. Food for thought, have you tried a wooden bar? It really dulls the tone to more closely approximates a banjo like tone.

No, I've never tried a wooden bar, I think I'll continue to use my Aura JD, I'll try to combine it with another pedal that simulates the rendered sound, let's see if I can find the right compromise, otherwise I'll just use my JD pedal. Tnajs Francis

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 5:56 am     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

Feel the real sound of the pedabro, this is the sound I would like to get but I don't think there will ever be a pedal that simulates this sound. Happy listening Francesco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIw9U_pFMI

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 7:50 pm    

David Spires has worked on it and it sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1Y0IFG2uc

Tony

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 9:49 am    

One thing to keep in mind with the JD Aura pedal is that even with the effect disengaged, the volume control on the pedal is still active. Just something to look out for.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 2:53 pm     Pedabro & Resonator II Owner?

If anyone ever bought one of my Resonators and also owns a Pedabro, please post your experience as to whether or not my Resonator can duplicate the Pedabro's sound. I doubt that it will, but I wonder how close it can get. ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2023 5:53 am     Pedabro Effect pedal 2023

Larry Dering wrote:

Hi Larry do you have a video clip where you show how your telonics 500 TBRO sounds in PSG? Why do you talk about it but there is no demonstration video even on the You tube Telonics channel. So we can all understand and hear the Dobro tone with your Telonics 500. Thank you very much Francesco

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2023 7:35 am    

No I don't have one made and I have no good way of making one. All I can say is the Telonics TCA 500 amp has a switch that when engaged it tweaks the EQ to sound like a Dobro. I seldom use this feature because I have a Jerry Douglas model Dobro if I want that sound for a song. I can't say that the Telonics will satisfy your tastes but it's surprising good. If I get someone to record it I will try to get you a sound sample. The guys I play with are not interested in a Dobro sound in their style music.