The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many players use Jules Ah See C13?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 4:45 pm    

Ethan Shaw wrote:
I use that tuning a decent amount. I love that low C! Another famous recording it was used on was Hillbillies From Outerspace, played by Jimmie Vaughan. He told me he learned it from Jerry Byrd.

That’s a fun easy one. I have a little video clip I made years ago, just nowhere to host it.

Mike Schway

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 11:01 am     Re: How many players use Jules Ah See C13?

Mike Neer wrote:

In case you’re not sure, Jules Ah See C13 is an 8 string tuning.
E
C
A
G
E
C
Bb
C

What gauge are folks using for the low C (22.5 scale)? My new (to me) Melbert can just barely handle a 060, but John Ely's chart suggests 068. I've been using a 056 just because I had one on hand, but the slightest amount of bar pressure makes it go crazy out of tune.

Thanks,

Obligatory arsenal disclosure:
'38 Ric B6, '39 Ric NS100, '53? Fender Champion, '52? Gibson BR9, 20xx Melbert Std8, '52 Fender DeLuxe-8.
Too many amps.

Aaron Clinton

Calgary, AB
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 11:26 am     Re: How many players use Jules Ah See C13?

Mike Schway wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:

E
C
A
G
E
C
Bb
C

What gauge are folks using for the low C (22.5 scale)? My new (to me) Melbert can just barely handle a 060, but John Ely's chart suggests 068. I've been using a 056 just because I had one on hand, but the slightest amount of bar pressure makes it go crazy out of tune.

Thanks,

I drilled out the tuning post of my guitar just a hair to get it to take the .66 that comes in a pack of Ernie Ball C6 pedal steel strings.

Rich Arnold

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:40 pm     Re: How many players use Jules Ah See C13?

Mike Neer wrote:
I’m doing a little headcount here. I would really like to help build those numbers up. I think it is one of the most versatile and useful tunings and I have some really cool techniques I’ve developed that I’d like to teach, especially in the chordal department. They are game changers, especially for those interested in Blues and Jazz. For guitarists, there is a great opportunity to comp chords as if you are playing your guitar. Also, you can play pianistically.

E
C
A
G
E
C
Bb
C

Thanks Mike,
Sounds like fun! The steel guitar is a playground aint it?
I'm fixing to put those strings on right now and give it a rip. 😉

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 12:26 pm    

I do! I tried lots of tunings but I’m always back to Jule’s C13.

Rich Arnold

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 1:11 pm    

That 3rd string is very bendable! I'm digging this tuning.

BJ Burbach

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 2:50 pm     C13

Well, holidays are done, coming back down and just going to be working on getting C6 down, pushing the slants. Loving the low C, love the Bb, love Jules and Alan.
.066" 0n a 23" scale seems OK.
Just writing thanks for the really helpful tips from everyone and especially Nic for those Tapa Room tapes.

BJ

Last edited by BJ Burbach on 3 Feb 2024 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 5:24 pm     Re: How many players use Jules Ah See C13?

Mike Neer wrote:

E
C
A
G
E
C
Bb
C

Mike, I assume this is H to L with the Bb in the bass.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 7:38 am    

I use Jules' C13 first and foremost. Also his B11 as well.

Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 10:16 pm    

That's a big YES on C13

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 4:39 pm    

On string gauges for the low C I used to use the Pearse sets for 8 string C6 and B11 and I think it was in the 62, 64 range. When I got my Clinesmith 8string pan, he strung it from his shop with a big ol .070, and I've stuck with that!

I was thinking of starting a second thread but since it is about Jules Ah See in C6/C13...listen to his accompaniment behind Mahi Beamer on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0dh5i2ZNQ

The open string hammer on fills are great (classic Jules) and the rake thing he does 30 seconds in, and then again several more times through the song is great. Basically fret 5, rake down from string 2 to string 5, and walk string five down to open (adding in an open string 2nd string again when at fret 1). Simple but really nice.

It's proper Hawaiian music (and Mahi's voice can be a bit unexpected for the uninitiated to Hawaiian falsetto Smile ), but some great playing from Jules on the entire album. He tends to stick with C6/C13 for what I would call "proper" Hawaiian music (simpler chord changes, Hawaiian language) with the jazz/hapa haole stuff sometimes getting B11 or E13 but C13 was I think statistically his most commonly used tuning, just going by what I've heard. One of his last, recorded a year before his untimely death.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 5:25 pm    

I’ve been experimenting a lot with d E C A G E C Bb the past few weeks.
The low C is missed, but the d introduces some cool possibilities and great chords as when keeping a melody harmonized.
The 9th being voiced up there is interesting, sounds different than the B11th and E13th which have the 9th voiced lower.
Also E13th and B11th have 6 individual pitches, which to me is the best compromise between complexity and playability.
C13th has only 5, but by adding the d string it becomes 6 as well.

The 9th in E as a high F# string is often used on extended E tunings:
Tommy Morrell 10 string E13th:
G# F# E C# B G# F# E D E
put that in C, and you get:
E D C A G E D C Bb C

Also similar to “Ray Noren 13th tuning” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxRvPOAXf4&pp=ygUMY29keSBmYXJ3ZWxs
F# E D B A F# E C
which in C would be spelled:
E D C A G E D Bb (almost the same as my tuning!)

I personally like the D reentrant above the E because otherwise it spoils/complicates the classic C6th slants and strums.
Using the bullet nose, you can still slant on the top four strings to get a high pitched root position major triad, as if you had a high G string:
x

It is a pretty handy slant once you get used to it!

I haven’t adapted the d string in single note playing, but I can hear how one could work up some fast pentatonic runs using it.
I also found it easy to ignore/avoid when not needed, once I got used to it being there.
When I first put it on I hated it but grew to appreciate it.
Still not sure if I will keep it, but it was worth spending the time to get used to.

I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences with reentrant string(s) on C6th Laughing
I reckon b could be useful, like the d# string on E9th pedal

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 5:29 pm    

The thing is like most about Hawaiian music like the Mahi Beamer track above, is that the steel guitar is not even the best part of the music. It’s the vocals, man. Just magical.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 4:55 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
The thing is like most about Hawaiian music like the Mahi Beamer track above, is that the steel guitar is not even the best part of the music. It’s the vocals, man. Just magical.

I kind of wonder if it is something particular to the Hawaiian language that makes it so beautiful...they have so few consonants that they consider the 'okina (glottal stop) one! A lot of pretty vowel sounds. I guess to test this theory I should listen to Welsh folk music? Dwynndfffyl etc Smile

That is one thing I have been learning about HI music (in particular, though it is valid for all music) though. No matter how much of a hot shot you are on steel guitar, you're there to back up the singers, the song is the most important, not showing off your licks. So JAS tended to play kind of muted when backing singers. One of the only videos of him, he barely plays, outside of an opening arpeggio (and a string rake in the outro):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAe3HlIrQd4