The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton vs Telonics
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 6:06 am    

At the risk of reviving a topic that has no doubt been beat to death.

Is the Telonics pedal really 2x as good as the Hilton? Both are optical so no pots to wear and get scratchy. I'm looking to upgrade to a pot free volume solution and I want to make an informed purchase decision. Which has the smoother physical travel feel?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:22 am    

I tried both the Telonics and the Hilton.
I couldn't tell two cents difference, so I kept the Hilton. Very Happy
Erv

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:25 am     Hilton vs. Telonics

To NOT answer your question, have you considered a Lehlie 90? (model 90 has jacks on the side for steel) It's built like a tank and is as smooth as butter. It uses magnetic technology and there is almost nothing that can go wrong. I have had two Hiltons and they are great pedals, but for an active pedal, I use the Lehlie 90. But...I use my old Goodrich 120 with a 500k Allen Bradly pot most of the time. The new pots that are available today last practically forever. Pots are easily replaced.

Last edited by George Kimery on 3 Jan 2023 8:38 am; edited 3 times in total

Abram Denzlinger

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:33 am    

The thread below is good reading. Especially the bit from Keith Hilton about the Lehle.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=226317&highlight=hilton

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 11:17 am    

I've had both. Mechanical "feel" is the same.

Hilton is "infra-red" (optical) and the Telonics uses solid state position sensors (not optical).

The Telonics has user selectable pot taper emulations and is firmware upgradeable. I settled on switch position 4 and never changed,

I found I didn't need all the features of the Telonics so it was sold.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 2:07 pm    

Almost word for word what Jack says, although I've kept the Telonics cos it's kinda cool and lights the pedals up blue Smile

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 12:01 am    

I would guess they perform equally well, but my Telonics, the shiny silver anodized version, is in a league totally of its own when it comes to finish and quality feel. It's built like a tank AND like a classic mechanical Leica camera. You do pay a lot for that pleasure, though. A Dodge and a BMW will both get you to the supermarket and back, but I know which one I prefer to drive...

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 1:10 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
Almost word for word what Jack says, although I've kept the Telonics cos it's kinda cool and lights the pedals up blue Smile

What Ian said. I love the cascading blue lights on my 9 pedal rods! Groovy!! Razz

I have both Hilton and Telonics, and like them both. No tonal difference my ears can detect, but I do like the variety of tapers on the Telonics, I use setting 6 and never any others. Keith's customer service is fantastic, by the way.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 1:59 pm    

Hilton because of cost for one and there is no difference. I will not say any more.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 4:53 pm    

I agree there's no detectable difference in performance. For the average player the Hilton is better value for money as the Telonics has a host of clever facilties which most people are unlikely to need.
Still a cool thing to have!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 5:35 pm    

The blue light has a “cool” factor, but our singer who usually wears white pants, thought it made them look blue. I had to turn it off.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 9:35 am    

I had the Hilton, liked it a lot, however, I found the Omni to be more versatile with either passive or active settings.
Very smooth. Bill Ferguson has them and the price is right.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 12:07 pm    

If you really want to always have your guitar see a real high-impedance buffered input, then I think either of these pedals are good choices. I've tried (but not owned) both and I have to conclude that I really don't always want to see a high-impedance buffered input. In fact, most of the time I don't.

In a situation where I really want that, I use one of my old Sho Bud pot pedals and a Sarno Freeloader, which clips to the right leg and goes between the guitar and the volume pedal. This gives the option of an input impedance from, I think, around 100K Ohm to 1 MOhm. I don't really even bother most of the time anymore, but it's there if I want it. Freeloaders are not expensive, clip to the leg to give an instantly accessible and useful tone control, are battery powered, and the battery lasts a real long time.

I guess if I really wanted a modern pedal, I'd be a candidate for the Goodrich Omni, which gives the ability to switch between a buffered and non-buffered input. And has the option of battery power - I admit that I really don't want yet another cable hanging near my right foot.

But they're all good pedals. And I think all are made in the US by good people. How much money do you wanna spend?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 2:04 pm    

I had considered the Omni pedal, once, but as it is still a pot pedal (with electronics) it was eliminated.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 12:54 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I had considered the Omni pedal, once, but as it is still a pot pedal (with electronics) it was eliminated.

I have an omni currently, I already sent it in once for a new pot not long after purchase and the pot is scratchy again, I've been spraying it with contact cleaner for a few months to try and limp it along until I can decide on which optical pedal to buy.
I'm done with pot pedals once I get an optical one. I'm not going down this road of frustration again.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 1:43 pm    

The Telonics is in a league of it's own... I have two of them and have used them since about 2006 (or when they first became available) .. never had a single issue with them, and the tone I get is just fantastic ... End of story Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 9:16 am    

In my experience the Telonics seems like it has a little more taper which is what we want for steel guitar. If for nothing else than that feature i have a certain respect for it.

In my experience the Hilton had crisper brighter highs that I respect. In my experience the Hilton pedal is set at a higher volume or overall volume is higher. I could see it working well with a low wattage amplifier. The Telonics reproduces the natural sound of your guitar. I like the feel of the Telonics better.

So I like them both, could use both just depends on what features matter to you

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 7:43 pm    

I had a Hilton, now have both. I use the Hilton setting on the Telonics, and lately the one that has the extra gain at the end. It is many settings, maybe even one you can program someday but I'll probably not change.

My Hilton (used) is wobbly, but it has heel extenders on it. And the model has a big transformer that is attached. And it doesn't have a dedicated tuner out. The Telonics has a friction setting that I use just a little of. Both play and sound great as far as I can tell. The Telonics will last me my life.

The blue light is cool, but also gaudy. Maybe it can be turned off, like other aspects of the pedal it is very engineered and more than you need but I like having all the options.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 1:40 am    

Later Hiltons have none of the drawbacks that Jon mentions, but they do have a higher output than other brands. I don't agree with Keenan that that makes it more suitable for use with a small amp. It can overload the input stage of any amp, and I reduce the input gain compared to my Telonics or Goodrich.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 7:46 am    

Starting off, I just want to say that I don't mean any of this to offend anyone. It's just an opinion, and you can take it or leave it, for whatever it's worth.

Just as a general observation over my 60+ years of playing music and listening to thousands of players, I've never seen (or heard of, for that matter) a steelplayer get fired because of his "tone". I've seen many lose their jobs for of playing too loud or too much, not playing enough, not knowing how to back up singers, not being willing to practice, not having good playing skills, substance abuse, bad attitudes, screwing around with the singer's spouse, etc., etc. You name it, and I've seen it. Over the years, I've heard what, to me, are good tones as well as bad tones, but that stuff is very subjective and it's hard (or impossible) to please everyone with "your" sound, whatever that happens to be.

Now, my playing days are just about over (and I was never really that great to start with). And I also realize that there are a good number of "tone-heads" out there, those who obsess over tone above all else. I guess that's why I find it surprising that so many players worry about their "tone" when, from my own observations, that should be the last of their worries when it comes to actual playing.

Just something to think about. Or not.

Peace. Neutral